It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Ben says he wants to play 3-5 more years
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 pm 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2337 ... -3-5-years

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger might be quarterbacking the Pittsburgh Steelers at age 40.

Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he plans to play three to five more years if he stays healthy and his offensive line is intact.

The Steelers selected Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph with the 76th overall pick in last week's draft, raising questions about whether the franchise had found an heir apparent to Big Ben.

"If he's going to be their guy, that's great, but in my perfect world it's not going to be for a while," Roethlisberger told the newspaper.

"I'll still take it one year at a time and give it everything I have that one year," Ben Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Charles LeClaire/USA TODAY Sports
Roethlisberger, who turned 36 in March, flirted with retirement after the 2016 season but started to entertain the prospect of future years last season. He publicly committed to 2018 minutes after a playoff loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Center Maurkice Pouncey, his best friend on the team, told ESPN that Roethlisberger had informed him he wanted to play three more seasons.

Roethlisberger has two years left on his contract, and team president Art Rooney II said this offseason that the team is prepared to discuss a contract extension with the quarterback.

"I went and talked to Art (Rooney II) and coach (Mike Tomlin) and coach Randy (Fichtner) and basically said, listen, I can't control -- barring major injuries, barring things at home, and things out of your control -- the way my body feels," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "The way our O-line is put together, as good as they are, they kept me healthy as can be the last couple of years. I really feel I can play this game another three to five years."

Roethlisberger validated that notion with his play late last season. After a slow start to the year's first half, Roethlisberger averaged nearly 350 passing yards and three touchdowns per game over the final seven outings. His entire starting offensive line is under contract, plus weapons Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell and JuJu Smith-Schuster.

"I'll still take it one year at a time and give it everything I have that one year, but that's what I feel comfortable telling (the Steelers)," Roethlisberger said about his time frame.

Post subject: Re: Ben says he wants to play 3-5 more years
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:25 pm 

Only 3-5 more years???

Better grab another QB in next years draft too.

Maybe round 1 or 2.

A 6-10 season at some point down the road really scares the heck out of me. Had better plan our picks around that first and immediate team needs second.

Winning now is important but not nearly as important as not loosing 3 years from now.

Or so says the powers that be.

At the very least we know exactly what these guys prioritize.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:30 pm 

If the Rudolph pick gets 5 more years out of Ben it's already the best pick in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 pm 

Firing Haley is what rejuvenated Ben.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:34 pm 

TB wrote:
If the Rudolph pick gets 5 more years out of Ben it's already the best pick in the draft.

^^^^^This! A third round pick for 4-5 years of a jealous/motivated Ben is a steal!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

+100. He will never say it, but he was the biggest reason for Haley’s departure. Some might even say he had him fired. If you don’t get along with the franchise QB, prepare to get along with the faux franchise QB in Cleveland.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Better than a truck of avocados.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:49 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

maybe if we fire Tomlin we can get 10 more years of Ben!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

If only.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:03 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Ben likes Tomlin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 pm 

Haley leaving help the spirits I’m sure but I believe when he mentions the OL. 2017 was the second season in a row they were “nfl capable.” That’s truly the difference. Plus they give bell near record touches.

Not to take anything away. Ben is seeing the field better than ever. His arm had a shaky stretch. But minimize the hits stop the section nd guessing I can see a few more seasons. All about health like he said.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 pm 

I’ve said it 2-3 tines before but let’s assume good health across the board, the rookies get involved and Vance McDonald earns a role. THIS will be bens best offense ever. You could make a case for ‘05 but wide out depth is far superior and Ben plays much smarter now too.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm 

Ben motivated by a 3rd rookie qb?
Whatever it takes I guess to light a fire but that’s pretty pathetic.
Winning Super Bowls should be all the motivation he needs.

Mason Rudolph the player doesn’t bother me.
I would’ve went defense with that pick.
Even if Bens 3-5 years proclaimation is hyperbole, it’s a given Mason Rudolph is not helping win a Super Bowl this year but quite possibly not any year.

In short time he’ll be an upgrade on Landry Jones.
To even dream of winning a future Super Bowl Rudolph will need to see the defense given more help than this draft provided
Time for that to happen is on his side, not Bens however thanks in small part to his selection.

Even a first ballet HOFer in Ben hasn’t been able to sniff a Suoer Bowl without a quality defense let alone a 3rd round pick with a ceiling of an average starting NFL qb.

Rudolph isn’t even the Cowboy that concerns me. If you’re going to not only trade Martavis AND completely ignore the frontt 7, James Washington better make one hell of an impact.
Health a must on both sides of the ball but The offense will need to set records to win ring #7

That’s not hyperbole

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:04 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
Ben motivated by a 3rd rookie qb?
Whatever it takes I guess to light a fire but that’s pretty pathetic.
Winning Super Bowls should be all the motivation he needs.

Mason Rudolph the player doesn’t bother me.
I would’ve went defense with that pick.
Even if Bens 3-5 years proclaimation is hyperbole, it’s a given Mason Rudolph is not helping win a Super Bowl this year but quite possibly not any year.

In short time he’ll be an upgrade on Landry Jones.
To even dream of winning a future Super Bowl Rudolph will need to see the defense given more help than this draft provided
Time for that to happen is on his side, not Bens however thanks in small part to his selection.

Even a first ballet HOFer in Ben hasn’t been able to sniff a Suoer Bowl without a quality defense let alone a 3rd round pick with a ceiling of an average starting NFL qb.

Rudolph isn’t even the Cowboy that concerns me. If you’re going to not only trade Martavis AND completely ignore the frontt 7, James Washington better make one hell of an impact.
Health a must on both sides of the ball but The offense will need to set records to win ring #7

That’s not hyperbole

This.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:04 pm 

James Washington will contribute more this year than Bryant did the last two. WR will not be the problem.

And again, not to belabor the point, but having to change defensive schemes to make up for the tragic, career ending loss of the player you built your scheme around while dealing with the DL injury bug at the same time, 2/3 of the way through a season is a monumental ask.

Last edited by Ice on Tue May 01, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 pm 

Father time is undefeated. Go back and watch some of the first few games of the season. Ben looked shaky and his arm didn't have pop. He did play excellent football down the stretch though. I would love Ben for 5 more years, but it has to be at an elite level.

I don't think that is realistic at all. His body took too much abuse from 08 until a couple years ago. That wear and tear catches up with you. The FO knows they aren't getting 5 yrs from Ben. They probably know they aren't getting 3. Thus, the Rudolph pick.

I'm hoping for 2 more years at a high level. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:24 pm 

franco32 wrote:
Father time is undefeated. Go back and watch some of the first few games of the season. Ben looked shaky and his arm didn't have pop. He did play excellent football down the stretch though. I would love Ben for 5 more years, but it has to be at an elite level.

I don't think that is realistic at all. His body took too much abuse from 08 until a couple years ago. That wear and tear catches up with you. The FO knows they aren't getting 5 yrs from Ben. They probably know they aren't getting 3. Thus, the Rudolph pick.

I agree. As much as everyone around here hates Haley, If he didn't take over the offense I think Ben might be done right now. He's evolved a lot which definitely bought him more time but all the hits by defensive players and automobiles in the past will eventually catch up to him.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:33 pm 

franco32 wrote:

I agree. Ben isn’t touching 5 seasons of high level ball.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:40 pm 

Ben is still motivated by the 10 teams that passed up on him in 2004. Seriously.

High level athletes are freaking psychotic weirdos. :lol:

There's no doubt in my mind that Ben is a lot more motivated going in this next season to show that he's better off without Haley and that drafting Rudolph was a mistake.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:31 pm 

955876 wrote:
I agree. Ben isn’t touching 5 seasons of high level ball.

3, and then a couple at the end like Favre when he was near 40. Favre took a lot of hits, too.

Favre at 40 still had a live arm, but he was a turnover machine because he never adjusted to losing a bit off his fastball. Manning adjusted. If Ben adjusts, he could play at an elite level for 5 more years.

I think too much was made of the early season struggles. Ben, Bell and AB went to camp easy and had to play themselves into form. Not to mention you had 3 new faces in MacDonald, JuJu and Bryant. The Ben the 2nd half of the year was playing as well as he has in his entire career. Father time may be undefeated, but Ben is still one of the best throwers in the league.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:55 pm 

Quote:
If Ben adjusts

Hopefully he does step it up. Because the Ben we have been getting is just as prone to throw the game changing INT as he is the game winning TD. Actually more so if looking at recent history.

As good as he is, the team & coaching isn’t good enough at this point to overcome a couple of picks.

Especially with a D as bad as ours has been when it’s mattered.

I looked at every postseason game starting with last SB moving forward.

He has fewer TDs and more INTs than his peers in those games.

That’s losing football and I’ll pass on 5 more years of that. .

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:26 am 

When I look at how Philly had an answer at QB even when their franchise QB went down, well, that makes me feel a lot better about the Steelers taking Rudolph. Even if you think he isn't a franchise QB, he is way better and more competent to be that backup QB who can come in and win you some games. I have never had that confidence in Landry Jones.

As much as I love Ben and always have, you really screwed up with that retirement talk. You shoot off your mouth and talk like that what is an organization supposed to do? Okay, and now you want to play 3-5 more years? Which is it?

All I know is that you basically have what you wanted. Haley is gone. Fitchner is your guy, your OC. You have a team stocked with weapons at every level, I am expecting an MVP season from you, I am expecting you to set single season Steeler records that are in the stratosphere. Passing touchdowns? I am expecting at least 40, but really think as much as 50 is possible.

But if you disappoint? If it is just more of the same, all of this talent and your handpicked OC and you score just 28 TDs again? Then Haley really wasn't the problem was he?

Ben's view of Rudolph may never be fully known to us, but if he really has taken offense to the Steelers selecting him that is all the more reason for Landry Jones to be given the boot, for Rudolph to be the #2 QB. A Ben on his toes and focused, in some small way looking over his shoulder, whether it is really true or not, is a better Big Ben and the Steelers probably know it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:39 am 

Scunge wrote:
All I know is that you basically have what you wanted. Haley is gone. Fitchner is your guy, your OC. You have a team stocked with weapons at every level, I am expecting an MVP season from you,

I agree...but you're assuming the OC isn't Tomlin's cuckold bitch. Unfortunately, it's going to take another year or two to get rid of Tomlin and clear the road to the SB.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:24 am 

I am doubtful Ben makes it 3-5 years (JMHO). I think Ben's comment was emotionally charged by the drafting of a QB in the 3rd round after drafting one in the 4th round the year before. I'm sure Ben has been beraged by the questions regarding Rudolph's drafting. Pressuring Ben with the heir apparent and retirement questions he's likely tired of hearing questions about it. Ben did start the retirement thing himself so there's that. Now he has to field questions I'm sure are awkward and frustrating.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:35 am 

I think he’s done in 2-3 years.
Now if he comes into camp not looking 25 pounds over weight and looks like he busted his ass by getting into shape I’ll believe he can go longer. I’m betting him comes in bloated with the gut and double chin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next