It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jaylen Samuels TE/FB/WR 5th RND 165th overall
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:37 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
BTW, Jalen Samuels finished as the leading receiver in the history of NC State Football... passing Torry Holt and Jerrico Cotchery.

Any info available on his locker room presence? Looking for leadership traits. Asking for a friend.

Nothing will beat the Cotch Watch :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:40 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
BTW, Jalen Samuels finished as the leading receiver in the history of NC State Football... passing Torry Holt and Jerrico Cotchery.

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I've been pretty good at identifying some of the NFL trends...

• 2-down/thumper LBs are out
• LB/S hybrids are in
• position flexibility for defenders is more important than ever
• move toward RB by committee

But I'm missing something about RBs. Ballage went in the 4th round, supposedly pumped up boards by his receiving skills, yet three guys with arguably better tape and similar size/athleticism went even later or didn't get drafted at all (Samuels in late 5th, Chris Warren III, Ryan Nall). Those guys should be coveted by NFL teams–pass game to RB is so much more important in NFL– yet they don't seem to be desirable for some reason. Samuels-Warren-Nall would be exactly the kind of RB teams like Pittsburgh-NE-Philly would covet.

And a perfect example of teams drafting (less talented players) for need even when they tout always drafting BPA. NE and Philly had a loaded backfield by the time the middle draft rounds rolled around. With Bell halfway out the door, the Steeler didn't, so they grabbed Samuels.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

:shock:

I wonder how many times a week IC wakes up in a cold sweat yelling "COOOOOTCH!!!!" at the top of his lungs...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 pm 

Ice wrote:
It's interesting, you've got some very successful teams using RB by committee, and you've at the same time got other successful teams either already having or more than willing to jump at the chance to get, a featured back. I'll say that maybe the reason it's difficult to read the tea leaves at RB right now is that there are two somewhat I'll opposite philosophies at work, and which one is the better depends on the team you ask.

That one is easily answered by fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

When you use a featured back to the near exclusion of other guys... what happens when that featured stud gets hurt just before your playoff run?

The RB by committee has the huge advantage of mitigating injuries at RB.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:20 pm 

True, but looking at playoff or playoff caliber teams, you had Bell, Fournette, Gurley as featured backs, you have the Vikings with an injured 1st round RB last year, you have Elliott in Dallas, Johnson in AZ, and the Giants, Seahawks and (gasp) Patriots going RB in the first this season. I'm certainly in favor of sharing the load, (like you said, most Steelers fans probably lean that way), but the reason RB trends are kind of muddy is because the featured back model is a little more in vogue than it has been in the recent past, from what I'm seeing.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:35 pm 

I guess because everyone is about to start running the ball at these package defenses.

All the more reason to have a bigger back, though... and those four really good big backs didn't go in first two days of the draft.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:11 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Any info available on his locker room presence? Looking for leadership traits. Asking for a friend.

Nothing will beat the Cotch Watch :lol:

"Cotch Watch" was incredible, birthed one of the most hilarious nickname's ever.....

"CUMDUMPSTERTRON"

FUCK THE NFL

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 pm 

Steelers sign Samuels... http://www.steelers.com/news/transactio ... 2f28818d28

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 pm 

solid pick this late in he draft going to really like to see what packages they will use for him. The kid has very good hands and seems to have some good rushing skills.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next