It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Differences between Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph...
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am 

It is funny but I keep hearing and reading some nasty reviews of Mason, calling him another Landry Jones, etc. Are they really that much alike?

One big difference that I can see is that Rudolph, while never to be confused with Big Ben, is a much better athlete than Jones and can do more with his legs.

In college the past two years it was not just Rudolph throwing all of those long bombs to Washington, no, they also used RPOs, Run Pass Options. To do that you need a QB who can move some, who is comfortable running at times.

So, they might have been in the red zone but Rudolph would scan the defense and make a decision to run or pass and he had 16 rushing TDs the past two years, 10 last season alone. Landry Jones can't do that. I have seen Jones trip over his own feet, he has no ability to be a threat to run with the football, to run RPOs with success. Rudolph even had 3 catches for 53 yards when they did RB option passes.

I see NFL offenses changing, and you look at the talent we have on offense, and with a new OC in Fitchner, and with RPOs all the rage now with what Philly did last season and in particular with Nick Foles, it makes it all the more interesting to me to see what Rudolph can do in the NFL. I don't see Landry Jones and Mason alike in any way whatsoever. Landry Jones has -19 yards rushing for his NFL career. In college he had -375 yard rushing!!

Jones is truly a pocket QB while Rudolph can do a bit more than that, has more potential because of his legs. Mayock may have written of Mason that he has 'minimal escapability' but Landry Jones has no escapability.

Man, the preseason games are going to be such a long wait, I wish they were playing next week!!!

Post subject: Re: Differences between Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph...
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:47 am 

Firstly, there's a bit of a difference between saying that Jones is a veteran backup with some proven spot-starting success and thus should likely be the backup for a playoff team and saying he's "better than Rudolph," which I'm pretty sure I didn't see anybody type in any thread. But...

When Laundry was at Oklahoma, they used a very similar offense, featuring RPO's as well. It was a mostly zone-read based system where he only ever really had to read half the field. In fact, pretty much every Big 12 school uses something very similar at this point. It's a big reason why QB's from that league have such a MASSIVE bust percentage. Laundry is, in fact, one of the more successful NFL QBs from the recent Big 12.

Anomalies happen, certainly (winning a Super Bowl with Nick Foles being far more likely an anomaly than some sort of tinfoil hatted emerging trend), and he's a Steeler now, so I'm rooting for him, but he's a Big 12 QB making what is historically a very difficult transition to the NFL. Hope it works out.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:25 am 

They are very different players. Mason turned the ball over way less than Landry. His ypa was 10.35 his last 2 years. Landry was 7.7.

Mason can push the ball down the field much more and be pretty accurate doing it. As you said he also has better feet. He pretty much has the same 40 time as Baker Mayfield.

He also goes to his 2nd and 3rd reads more than you think. I like how he spreads the ball around. Combine that with very high football smarts and we are really in business.

That's why he was my favorite QB of this draft.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:25 am 

Scunge wrote:
It is funny but I keep hearing and reading some nasty reviews of Mason, calling him another Landry Jones, etc. Are they really that much alike?

One big difference that I can see is that Rudolph, while never to be confused with Big Ben, is a much better athlete than Jones and can do more with his legs.

In college the past two years it was not just Rudolph throwing all of those long bombs to Washington, no, they also used RPOs, Run Pass Options. To do that you need a QB who can move some, who is comfortable running at times.

So, they might have been in the red zone but Rudolph would scan the defense and make a decision to run or pass and he had 16 rushing TDs the past two years, 10 last season alone. Landry Jones can't do that. I have seen Jones trip over his own feet, he has no ability to be a threat to run with the football, to run RPOs with success. Rudolph even had 3 catches for 53 yards when they did RB option passes.

I see NFL offenses changing, and you look at the talent we have on offense, and with a new OC in Fitchner, and with RPOs all the rage now with what Philly did last season and in particular with Nick Foles, it makes it all the more interesting to me to see what Rudolph can do in the NFL. I don't see Landry Jones and Mason alike in any way whatsoever. Landry Jones has -19 yards rushing for his NFL career. In college he had -375 yard rushing!!

Jones is truly a pocket QB while Rudolph can do a bit more than that, has more potential because of his legs. Mayock may have written of Mason that he has 'minimal escapability' but Landry Jones has no escapability.

Man, the preseason games are going to be such a long wait, I wish they were playing next week!!!

If Jones is a pocket QB then he inherently sucks at his job. He has literally NO pocket awareness or where defenders are rushing from. This is why he'll be out of the league in 2 yrs

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 am 

Different players but similar situation. Both are uber-talented (from a physical traits perspective) “system” guys that have a lot to prove at the next level. Both were excellent values where picked. QB is such an important piece of any championship puzzle that when you have an aging or declining starter you always make a value pick at that position on the chance that you catch lightning in a bottle. Landry has proven himself capable but not franchise caliber. Fingers crossed for Mason.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:37 am 

As I said before the draft, some variation on:

Mason Rudolph
Floor: Landry Jones
Midpoint: Andy Dalton
Ceiling: Kirk Cousins

I really don't think he's as good as Cousins, though, and I think a large portion of Rudolph's success throwing deep was because his receivers were elite at ball tracking/adjustment.

I think Andy Dalton is right about where Rudolph comes out. That's not terrible, and if he's a little better than Dalton in big games, that would be pretty good. Not elite, but solid.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:40 am 

And, Scunge... what I meant about comparing Rudolph and Landry is: taken in roughly the same point of the draft, as a value buy QB... yet, we viewed one as a wasted pick, backup at best and the other as the future of the franchise. It's weird to me. I personally think Rudolph is a better prospect but there isn't THAT much difference between their likelihood of working out.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am 

If the Steelers have their way, Laundry will make a smooth transition from being Ben's backup to being his successor's backup, and have a 15 year career with the team. They're satisfied, obviously, and if you look at it, his winning percentage (and he's started a couple of important games) is right around where Batch and Leftwich were in their tenures here. When you consider the risk-averse nature of the team, it's hard not to foresee this outcome.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
And, Scunge... what I meant about comparing Rudolph and Landry is: taken in roughly the same point of the draft, as a value buy QB... yet, we viewed one as a wasted pick, backup at best and the other as the future of the franchise. It's weird to me. I personally think Rudolph is a better prospect but there isn't THAT much difference between their likelihood of working out.

Agreed. For most, it’s really about timing. For others, it’s about a perception that Landry didn’t have the “it” factor while Mason does.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:46 am 

I'll say this, Ice... if the Browns offer a draft pick for Landry, I'm taking the deal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next