It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Terrel Edmunds S Virginia Tech - 1st Round
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:26 pm 

steel wrote:
He looks like a football player in these highlights -- likes to hit and tackle - can cover

First play the QB doesn't see him at all on a forced 3rd and 17 throw, throws the ball directly to him, and he can't shake the first man he sees, a 270 pound TE. The highlight cuts off before he immediately fumbles the ball when tackled, which is fortunately recovered by a teammate that saved his ass. :P

I'm still waiting for someone to point out a game he was great in. I haven't seen it yet. I think the guy is a JAG. Straight line athlete with no COD and bad instincts.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 pm 

DB that fumbles after an int?!

OMG. DND!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:51 pm 

we shall see

he can hit and tackle -- i can see that on the "highlights"

Has excellent physical traits as well - very explosive athlete

Looking forward to preseason

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:07 pm 

It's just the first time I can remember I've delved into a Steelers first round pick's tape and don't see much that I like. Not since Dupree certainly, and at least with Dupree he was a SPARQ god and had the excuse that he was a converted TE to DE, didn't have a LB coach at Kentucky, etc. I don't know, would love to be wrong, but to me he looks like a borderline day 2 into early day 3 guy. Hopefully they nailed it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:49 am 

TB wrote:
It's just the first time I can remember I've delved into a Steelers first round pick's tape and don't see much that I like. Not since Dupree certainly, and at least with Dupree he was a SPARQ god and had the excuse that he was a converted TE to DE, didn't have a LB coach at Kentucky, etc. I don't know, would love to be wrong, but to me he looks like a borderline day 2 into early day 3 guy. Hopefully they nailed it.

This is where my hope that Tom Bradley is the DB coach answer to Mike Munchak comes in. The only reason I didn't totally lose my shit at the 3rd round OT pick is Coach Munch.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:36 am 

These highlights do showcase some explosive ability. I also like his play on receivers over the middle on short crossers in key 3rd down situations. The INT where he played centerfield and caught the ball over his shoulder was nice.

That said, I went back and watched a lot of his film using Tremaine footage (lots of full game footage on his brother). The problem I saw was that Terrel did indeed seem to be a step or two late in making plays. His read/react time was quite poor. For a guy that is supposed to be a great communicator, coaches son, and know all the calls, I didn't see him anticipate or react that well.

Luckily, he seems like a good kid and a hard work guy, so perhaps he can be coached up to have better reaction to plays. But, it certainly is something to keep an eye on.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:52 am 

The one thing we don't know is how they will use him as a rookie, or to what extent they may let him freelance. One thing about Polamalu is he was able to freelance, use his instincts, his great speed and athletic ability to blow plays up, to guess a lot, to even make mistakes knowing that Ryan Clark and others had his back and could clean up if he did guess wrong.

Even with Shazier, he did not really play like say a Luke Kuechly. Shazier was all about penetrating, gambling, meeting the RB not just in the hole, but before he even got a chance to enter the hole. At times it looked like he was over running plays, or missing tackles, but it sure seemed like it was all by design. They wanted Shazier to be the point man that forced the play to come undone, and often other players would come in behind and clean the play up.

With Edumunds, who knows maybe having Burnett allows Edmunds to be that gambling, freelancing player that the Steelers like to use in their defense. Burnett can be that QB of the defense that gets everybody lined up and allows Edmunds as a rookie to just play fast. I don't expect Edmunds to be able to do everything that Burnett can in year one, but I can't think of a better situation to be able to learn from Morgan and to see how he does it, in practice, during games, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:03 am 

franco32 wrote:
These highlights do showcase some explosive ability. I also like his play on receivers over the middle on short crossers in key 3rd down situations. The INT where he played centerfield and caught the ball over his shoulder was nice.

That said, I went back and watched a lot of his film using Tremaine footage (lots of full game footage on his brother). The problem I saw was that Terrel did indeed seem to be a step or two late in making plays. His read/react time was quite poor. For a guy that is supposed to be a great communicator, coaches son, and know all the calls, I didn't see him anticipate or react that well.

Luckily, he seems like a good kid and a hard work guy, so perhaps he can be coached up to have better reaction to plays. But, it certainly is something to keep an eye on.

That was my biggest takeaway watching him.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:16 am 

Duke is a pretty good example. It's hard to know exactly what his responsibilities are play to play-- is all over the place-- but he doesn't look particularly late or slow processing to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:16 am 

Put 10 more pounds of muscle on him he's ILB sized but with the athleticism of a safety.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next