It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bennie Cunningham Passes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:31 pm 

He was 63 and the big C got him. Played for 10 seasons with the Steelers and had 202 catches for 2,879 yds and 20 touchdowns. He was a member of two Superbowl teams. Great player.

Post subject: Re: Bennie Cunningham Passes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:57 pm 

I remember him catching a flea flicker from Bradshaw in a game in 3 rivers. Because he blocked most of the time no one covered him and no one was within 30 yards of him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:17 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I remember him catching a flea flicker from Bradshaw in a game in 3 rivers. Because he blocked most of the time no one covered him and no one was within 30 yards of him.

15-9 final. I remember watching that game as a kid. 9-9 going into overtime. Bradshaw hands off to Bleier who flips it to Swann back to Bradshaw to Bennie Cunningham in the end zone. RIP Bennie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:41 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
jebrick wrote:

15-9 final. I remember watching that game as a kid. 9-9 going into overtime. Bradshaw hands off to Bleier who flips it to Swann back to Bradshaw to Bennie Cunningham in the end zone. RIP Bennie.

Remember it well

Sad news

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:47 pm 

I remember my father screaming at the TV ... why would you have such a big talented TE and not throw him the ball more

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 pm 

I remember his fro and big smile.

That and him carrying three DB's on his back for an additional 15 yards.

RIP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I remember his fro and big smile.

That and him carrying three DB's on his back for an additional 15 yards.

RIP.

yes..dude was a load to bring down..great player..eric green before eric green.. :D ..sad another one is gone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 pm 

RIP Big Benny, thanks for the memories, helping the Steelers to more SB titles, and to be the BEST franchise in sports and in history.

Dad was correct; Steelers didn't even know how to use him or the pass catching TE position. Matter of fact, they're still learning. They never knew how to use a TE and they had a few that could have been great. Heath was the first TE to where they started experimenting. I'm still not sure they are caught up with the rest of the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:17 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
jebrick wrote:

It's so fresh in my mind, I can picture the ball grazing the pylon at the end of the play.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:22 pm 

https://youtu.be/pRKfF33sM6s?t=2h30m49s

this is a link to the entire game... fun watch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:26 am 

Sweet guy whom I met at a BBQ joint (Sardi's) in Clemson 5 years ago. Was wearing his bling. He had trimmed down and was in good shape and very friendly. Damn shame.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:50 am 

I always get into great arguments with people when they talk about Steeler TEs and dynamic duos, such as Eric Green and Adrian Cooper.

For my money Cunningham and Grossman were pretty damn good too. Yeah, the rules changes in '78 led to more passing and such but you look at what those two TEs did in 78-79. Cunningham and Grossman combined for 101 catches, 1,538 yards and 8 TDs. Cunningham's career 14.3 yard average is very good, Heath Miller's career average is over 3 yards less, 11.1 yards per catch.

I remember Cunningham being that huge athletic TE, being that Eric Green for his time. During the dark times of when we had Bruener and would not throw to the TEs AND when people would argue with me that the Steelers just don't throw to the TEs, I would throw Cunningham, Grossman, Green, Cooper into the argument. The Steelers have always had good/great TEs that were part of the offense and could be weapons.

That is why I don't understand the reluctance of some when we made the moves for Ladarius Green, for Vance McDonald, etc. The Steelers have always valued TEs and aren't afraid to spend high draft picks, 4 first round picks ( 76, 90, 95, 05). Kind of makes me wonder that the TE position is due to have a really high pick spent on it sooner or later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:16 am 

Great post Scunge. Cunningham was a pro scouts dream. At 6-5 and 250 pounds, he could run like a deer, yet run over the opposition in heavy traffic. In addition to his great hands and quickness, he was a devastating blocker. He had a long career as a high school guidance counselor and had a postive influence on many young people. He was on the Steelers and Clemsons all time teams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:31 am 

RIP Benny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:
jebrick wrote:

It's so fresh in my mind, I can picture the ball grazing the pylon at the end of the play.

ahhh, but can you remember what you had for breakfast?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:01 pm 

Gonzo wrote:
I remember my father screaming at the TV ... why would you have such a big talented TE and not throw him the ball more

I remember the Emperor threatening to move him to tackle, because he couldn’t control his weight. I was always like, who cares if he’s 290? Throw him some passes!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:46 pm 

R S wrote:
ahhh, but can you remember what you had for breakfast?

barely

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:45 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I remember Cunningham being that huge athletic TE, being that Eric Green for his time.

Steelergenie wrote:
Cunningham was a pro scouts dream. At 6-5 and 250 pounds, he could run like a deer, yet run over the opposition in heavy traffic.

Bennie Cunningham was a beast. Loved the player.

The game winner flea flicker in OT is one of my all time RS favorites.

Flea flicker!