It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weed smoking is rampant in NFL and NBA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm 

Will the NFL cancel the ban and fines?

Former NBA, NFL athletes estimate marijuana use among players is higher than 80%

Scott Gleeson, USA TODAY SportsPublished 1:49 p.m. ET April 20, 20

Twenty-nine states and Washington D.C, have legalized the use of medical marijuana and on top of that, nine states have legalized recreational pot.

Former NBA player Kenyon Martin, the No. 1 pick in the 2000 draft, said in an interview with Bleacher Report published Friday that he believes “85% of the league” smoked marijuana during his career.

Former tight end Martellus Bennett thought the number was even higher in the NFL, where injuries and physical pain are more prevalent.

"I want to say about 89% (of the NFL used marijuana)," Bennett told Bleacher Report in a separate interview among former NFL players.

Marijuana is one of the NBA and NFL's banned substances, with a failed drug test leading to a suspension and fine — even for players in states where marijuana is legal. Former NFL player John Moffitt noted that the league is essentially "looking away" by only testing once a year.

Matt Barnes, another former NBA player who retired after the 2016-17 season, said he smoked pot before games throughout his 14-year career. He also said there was hypocrisy among NBA teams' top brass when it came to marijuana use.

"The GMs, coaches, presidents (were smoking). I mean, it goes deeper than what you think," Barnes said. "Some of the people that are cracking whips and suspending us are smoking weed."

Former NFL defensive lineman Shaun Smith said he used to smoke "two blunts before every game" over the span of his 10 seasons in the league. He echoed Barnes' point.

"Shoot, coaches do it. Personnel does it, people upstairs do it," Smith said. "Quarterbacks, guys that are your captains, leaders of the team smoke.

"Everybody has their reason. They do it for their pain."

Post subject: Re: Weed smoking is rampant in NFL and NBA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 pm 

I have nothing to add other than this: If you're going to say things like this, either name names or stfu. It doesn't tell us anything we don't already assume, and just leads to speculation.

Steelergenie wrote:
"The GMs, coaches, presidents (were smoking). I mean, it goes deeper than what you think," Barnes said. "Some of the people that are cracking whips and suspending us are smoking weed."

"Shoot, coaches do it. Personnel does it, people upstairs do it," Smith said. "Quarterbacks, guys that are your captains, leaders of the team smoke."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:18 pm 

Marijuana testing period opens today, 4/20
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2018, 12:21 PM EDT

The NFL either has a great sense of humor or an unintended flair for the ironic. Regardless, it’s April 20 (as in 4/20), and the NFL’s annual drug-testing period is officially open.
For players not already in the drug-testing program, it means that the once-per-year substance-abuse test can happen at any point between now and early August. Which means that, if/when a player not in the drug-testing program passes the annual substance-abuse test, he can use recreational drugs like marijuana without consequence until next year. As long as, of course, he isn’t arrested for marijuana possession in a state where it’s illegal or a bag of weed doesn’t fall out of his coat pocket while visiting the league office.

Given the amount of time necessary for marijuana metabolites to exit the system (it can take as long as 30 days) it may be too late to stop smoking yesterday. For those who stopped in time to produce a clean sample, they’ll be hoping to get their number pulled sooner than later, so that they can resume doing what is now legal in nine states for recreational purposes and 29 states for medicinal purposes.
Which brings me back to the point I’ve made time and again: Why? Why does the NFL feel compelled to Big Brother these guys away from something that is widely legal and even more widely accepted? The War on Drugs is over, and the islands of Cheech and Chong prevailed.
At this point, it’s not about right or wrong, legal or illegal. It’s not about whether it helps players better than prescription medications. It’s not whether it assists with concussion recovery. It’s about collective bargaining, and the league won’t be giving up the current policy without a concession from the union.
The union, in turn, won’t be making a concession, because the union knows that most players are smart enough to know when to stop smoke, when they can start again, and how to be discreet about using it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:19 pm 

Pabst wrote:
I have nothing to add other than this: If you're going to say things like this, either name names or stfu. It doesn't tell us anything we don't already assume, and just leads to speculation.

Steelergenie wrote:

"Shoot, coaches do it. Personnel does it, people upstairs do it," Smith said. "Quarterbacks, guys that are your captains, leaders of the team smoke."

Hmmm...makes one wonder if Coach Aviators partakes. Would explain wearing the shades indoors and on cloudy days.
But then, it would explain a lot of things...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Hmmm...makes one wonder if Coach Aviators partakes. Would explain wearing the shades indoors and on cloudy days.
But then, it would explain a lot of things...

I think I have a pretty good idea why the team plays like it's stoned in almost every game they have to fly to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:31 pm 

Martavis wasn't too bright! He got caught.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:42 pm 

I believe it...but id wonder why anyone would smoke before games..i cant imagine it helping on the field or court..maybe help if u getting your ass whipped and not give a shit.. now after games and practices I could understand very much..like beers in the recent past and longer..should be legal everywhere. sick of government trying to regulate shit ..the new prohibition that failed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 pm 

bam morris wrote:
I believe it...but id wonder why anyone would smoke before games..i cant imagine it helping on the field or court..maybe help if u getting your ass whipped and not give a shit.. now after games and practices I could understand very much..like beers in the recent past and longer..should be legal everywhere. sick of government trying to regulate shit ..the new prohibition that failed.

The active ingredient THC is a bronchiodilator. I've read some athletes actually swear by it (rock climbers, some runners); From my own experience while exercising strenuously, I tend to think it can, in some circumstances, help both physical and mental focus - hard to explain, but you can focus really well inward on your own body and how it is reacting to the physical stress, and manage it better internally. That of course is a description of a very individual-centric experience; football is a team sport though.

I think both pre-game and post-game its best immediate side-effect might actually be anxiety relief. At the pro level we probably overlook how stressful the fame and glamour part of it is, and weed can definitely turn that down quite a few notches.
I tend to think as a pain reliever its a bit overrated, but it can also dull some aches, and its addictive properties can be managed by most reasonable people.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:42 pm 

News flash...weed smoking is rampant in most bars too. Vaping, walking down the street, it is everywhere. Game over on enforcing. I fucking hate the smell. Finally got cigarettes banned to outdoors, and now weed has moved in. Why can’t people just eat this shit instead of smoking and vaping the smelliest of all substances.

The tax game will start soon on a national level. Big pharma is a couple weeks away from FDA approval on some canabanoid based drugs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:05 am 

bam morris wrote:
I'm certainly no expert, but when you use a drug habitually, the state you enter after taking them is the norm. Being straight would be like you or I getting high. The same with functioning drunks. Not that I would want to step into a car with one(if they drive), but many can survive and do their work and be productive. While drunk. But not sloppy drunk. In some instances being high on cannabis can make you hyper focused, and like Malba mentioned, can make you more attuned to your body and how it reacts to stress. I've tried to run after smoking herb (way back when), but since I didn't do it all the time, it was uncomfortable and completely fucked up my pace and gate. It just didn't feel right. Once was all it took to decide it wasn't for me.

If they smoke before games, that tells me they work out stoned, practice stoned, and watch film stoned.