It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers Rumored to Exercise Bud Dupree's 5th-Year Contr
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:00 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I see the same thing Scunge. I see a defense with LeBeau remnants combined with Tomlin influences. Obviously it has no place in the NFL the way it's set up now, well..., last season anyway. Teams figure out where to target the weaknesses for better success. Having one do-it-all star player [in the past Polamalu, until recently Shazier] in this era of the NFL won't work anymore. There needs to be more of a 'hive' mentality IMHO. Contributions from all over the defense has to be the goal. Tuitt and Heyward up front last season did a lot of the dirty work with the occasional VWill and Hilton contribution. The secondary outside of Haden [when he was playing] and Hilton was woefully below average. LB's were..., well, where were they? I agree for the most part the defense is in some sort of transition. What that is I haven't a clue.

You guys act like our defense was brutally bad last year. It was closer to being good than awful.
For most fans, those long runs, runs for first downs on 3rd and 9, and long pass plays over 30 yards coupled with allowing over 40 pts to Jacksonville kinda outweighs any good stats or what the the defense did the rest of the season.

We finished the RS 11th in Pts/Dr, 10th TO's/Dr

Respectable, gave us a fighting chance with the O expected to lead us in the PS and would have been something to build on if we hadn't lost Shazier.

The DL was unleashed to rush the passer more than under Lebeau which is something many of us wanted. Arrow WAS pointing up, IMO. I really thought there was a lot to like on the D moving forward but no Shazier changes everything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 pm 

And 9th in DVOA....which doesn't really meet the eyetest.

But the offenses they raced ranked 26th. And then you remember we caught a lot of those offenses starting a rookie QB and/or their back-up.

And, yes, then you lost Shazier. No surprise what happened in the playoffs. And I think Shazier only makes a marginal difference, but perhaps enough to sneak past JAX before another pasting at NE.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 pm 

Quote:
They did their job.

222 yards rushing.

84 net yards passing.

This wasn’t some multi-faceted offense they had to figure out.

You don’t have to be the 2001 Ravens to hold yourself to a higher standard.

Same result against the Jags. Twice.

This team was soft as wet butter against the run last year.

Might have cost us a SB...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 am 

Quote:
They did their job.

Poorly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:45 am 

Havoc wrote:
We finished the RS 11th in Pts/Dr, 10th TO's/Dr

Respectable, gave us a fighting chance with the O expected to lead us in the PS and would have been something to build on if we hadn't lost Shazier.

The DL was unleashed to rush the passer more than under Lebeau which is something many of us wanted. Arrow WAS pointing up, IMO. I really thought there was a lot to like on the D moving forward but no Shazier changes everything.
I agree. But just look at the responses here about the steelers' D. No doubt it has it's problems, but it wasn't as bad as is being made out to be here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:55 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
D. No doubt it has it's problems, but it wasn't as bad as is being made out to be here.

Bad when it mattered....which begs the question if the talent is there but not the coaching.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:18 am 

TB wrote:
12 drives in regulation: 3 scores allowed, one was a 29 yard drive, one was a 1 yard drive. Their drives that day in regulation:

3 plays, -1 yard
6 plays, 29 yards
6 plays, 21 yards
6 plays, 12 yards
9 plays, 75 yards
1 play, -4 yards
3 plays, -2 yards
2 plays, -1 yards
10 plays, 33 yards
3 plays, 3 yards
8 plays, 38 yards

One drive over 38 yards. WTF do you want, the 2001 Ravens? They did their job.

The vaunted O scores 17 whole points against the Bears but managed 42 against Jax.

If the defense blew it, the offense surely didn't do any better.

Blind Fury.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:33 pm 

Wondering why it’s so hard to say both units sucked that day led by a staff that allowed them to focus on external nonsense.

But but but the offense was bad too.

Ummm how does that excuse the defense from getting steamrolled by a team with zero threat of a forward pass?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:06 pm 

955876 wrote:
Wondering why it’s so hard to say both units sucked that day led by a staff that allowed them to focus on external nonsense.

Ummm how does that excuse the defense from getting steamrolled by a team with zero threat of a forward pass?

Simple- Mike Glennon is Tomlin's kryptonite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 pm 

955876 wrote:

It does not excuse the defense, but the easy explanation is this:
The defense was a question mark and everyone knew it.
Everyone also knew and knows the talent gap of the starters on offense and defense in aggregate.
As too often happens, the offense failed to carry the team when it needed to.

So, the offense in mind is more blameworthy for the Bears loss.

Obviously not the case in the Jax loss.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:20 pm 

I don’t disagree with many of your points Lit.

I also tend to think that game was lost before kickoff. Their heads were clearly elsewhere and the players have admitted as much.

This team is mentally weak & sloppy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am 

TB wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I see the same thing Scunge. I see a defense with LeBeau remnants combined with Tomlin influences. Obviously it has no place in the NFL the way it's set up now, well..., last season anyway. Teams figure out where to target the weaknesses for better success. Having one do-it-all star player [in the past Polamalu, until recently Shazier] in this era of the NFL won't work anymore. There needs to be more of a 'hive' mentality IMHO. Contributions from all over the defense has to be the goal. Tuitt and Heyward up front last season did a lot of the dirty work with the occasional VWill and Hilton contribution. The secondary outside of Haden [when he was playing] and Hilton was woefully below average. LB's were..., well, where were they? I agree for the most part the defense is in some sort of transition. What that is I haven't a clue.

You guys act like our defense was brutally bad last year. It was closer to being good than awful.

Finished 5th in the league overall, broke the franchise record for sacks, was the main reason this team was worth a damn for the first half of the season when our highly paid offense was floundering. They didn’t have the depth to sustain the Shazier injury, who was playing like an All Pro before he went down, but they were pretty damn good last season. Excited to see the growth of Watt, Burns, and to hopefully get back healthier versions of Tuitt, Hargrave, and Dupree. Not to mention Bostic and Burnett, who I like both, and the rooks we’re going to add.

Yea they were real good against Blake Bortles at home in a playoff game coming off a bye week. If you think that defense is a good NFL defense WOW. Mediocre is their ceiling right now. In addition if Dupree costs $9MM a year and people here are ok with paying a scrub (and thats being kind) $9MM and not paying a real contributor at running back $14MM thats lets say interesting??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am 

Didn’t that RB scoff at $14m? Just saying.

Agree with he rest.

This defense looked good early but much of that IMO was facing the lower tiered QBs they were fortunate to draw.

How they faired vs extremely one dimensional run centric teams tells us all we needed to know about this defense.

I love the sack totals but what does that mater when a team can telegraph they are going to run it down your throat then proceed to do so over and over??

But but but but.

They are what they put on tape when it mattered.

Hopefully several players make a big jump this year and we get lucky in the draft.