It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Weed smoking is rampant in NFL and NBA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:07 pm 

This is non-news IMHO. For me..., this is one of those "who gives a shit" scenarios. Florio looking for clicks. Although I do not smoke weed [since the 1990's] I say these guys are entitled to choose their method of dealing. With the overdose issues in America due to opioid consumption I say weed fills the need.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:59 pm 

Quote:
Why can’t people just eat this shit instead of smoking and vaping the smelliest of all substances.

A couple reasons.

1) Onset. If you ingest it you really don’t know when it will kick in. Could be 30 minutes could be 90 minutes. A lot of factors involved if going that route. Also, how much do you need to ingest to get the desired effect. Take too little and won’t know it wasn’t evough till it kicks in. Take too much and now your kind of fucked till it wears off.

2) Effect. Ingesting produces a different effect than smoking or vaping.

Me personally, I don’t care one bit if these guys use cannabis. With that being said, I don’t want the player that is using before meetings, at practice, in games etc.

I won’t buy for a second it’s “helping” them. While some strains can lead the increased focus or what might be the perception of increased focus, it most certainly does not help with coordination and will reduce reaction speed.

Smoking pot will not make you a better football player. At the same time, smoking pot recreationally when not playing ball shouldn’t make you worse. Provided it’s in moderation.

Prolonged & heavy use will impact your ability to focus/concentrate and ultimately will reduce your motivation. It’s actualky referred to as amotivational syndrome.

Smoking some pot in the evening or off-season should be none of the NFL’s business.

If it impacts your work then it becomes their business. Just like any job.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:36 pm 

The leagues only ban and test for it because of the stigma (that is largely long since gone) and it's improper inclusion as a Class 1 drug.

Recreational pot is legal in 9 states, plus D.C. and decriminalized in 13 others. Time for the NBA and NFL to stop testing for it. Don't ask don't tell or whatever, just quietly stop testing.

I think it's probably a done deal that players will demand this in the next CBA. Or maybe not. I wouldn't want to give up much for that, especially when only a handful of the biggest knuckleheads get popped for it (and most have been Steelers, it seems, but that's a discussion for another time).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
bam morris wrote:
I believe it...but id wonder why anyone would smoke before games..i cant imagine it helping on the field or court..maybe help if u getting your ass whipped and not give a shit.. now after games and practices I could understand very much..like beers in the recent past and longer..should be legal everywhere. sick of government trying to regulate shit ..the new prohibition that failed.

The active ingredient THC is a bronchiodilator. I've read some athletes actually swear by it (rock climbers, some runners); From my own experience while exercising strenuously, I tend to think it can, in some circumstances, help both physical and mental focus - hard to explain, but you can focus really well inward on your own body and how it is reacting to the physical stress, and manage it better internally. That of course is a description of a very individual-centric experience; football is a team sport though.

I think both pre-game and post-game its best immediate side-effect might actually be anxiety relief. At the pro level we probably overlook how stressful the fame and glamour part of it is, and weed can definitely turn that down quite a few notches.
I tend to think as a pain reliever its a bit overrated, but it can also dull some aches, and its addictive properties can be managed by most reasonable people.

I've never partaked myself (not against it, just never really my thing), so this is purely speculation on my part from what I've learned about it from friends who have smoked frequently...

But, from the little I do know, I could see long endurance types like runners and climbers benefiting because it helps you focus on the task at hand.

I'm not sure it'd have the same effect on "twitch" athletics, ie sports that require snap decisions and quick changes.

I can definitely see what you were saying about it helping you focus inward on yourself. I've done many endurance events, and anything that helps settle yourself down and focus on smaller tasks would absolutely be a benefit.

I just don't know if that translates to a running back attempting to read and react to a defense in a fraction of a second. Thought I could absolutely understand the recovery benefits of doing it afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:03 am 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
Why can’t people just eat this shit instead of smoking and vaping the smelliest of all substances.

Me personally, I don’t care one bit if these guys use cannabis. With that being said, I don’t want the player that is using before meetings, at practice, in games etc.

Let's say that hypothetically, AB is one of the players that smokes pot before the game. Are you saying that you don't want him now because he smokes pot, or that he could be even better than the best receiver in the NFL if he didn't smoke?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:58 am 

I highly doubt AB is blazing before the game. I’ve been around enough habitual users and AB doesn’t come off like that.

To not dodge your question though I’ll answer and do so pulling from the Jimmy Johnson school of coaching.

If I catch Troy Aikman sleeping in a meeting I’ll let it slide.

If I see Joe Smuckatelli sleeping in a meeting I’m cutting his ass.

Most people who perform at the level an AB does isn’t getting stoned before meetings, practice, games etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:07 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I can definitely see what you were saying about it helping you focus inward on yourself. I've done many endurance events, and anything that helps settle yourself down and focus on smaller tasks would absolutely be a benefit.

Oddly, I have the exact opposite take on this. After a while, things like running form, breathing, pace, etc become second nature, and I benefit most from not focusing on the task at hand. Rather, I let my mind wander as much as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:53 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:

A couple reasons.

1) Onset. If you ingest it you really don’t know when it will kick in. Could be 30 minutes could be 90 minutes. A lot of factors involved if going that route. Also, how much do you need to ingest to get the desired effect. Take too little and won’t know it wasn’t evough till it kicks in. Take too much and now your kind of fucked till it wears off.

I have heard this before. I have a hard time believing that if one was a habitual smoker/ingester that they could not get it down to a science too.

I suspect your comment is widely held to be true, which kind of highlights the problem. If you can’t get it metered properly, how could you use it properly to get the desired impact without going past the line.

Someone like AB probably has his caloric intake/expenditure down to a +\- 100 calories. Then you have linemen, whose weights and caloric consumption are probably all over the board.

If you are using it as a performance enhancing drug you had best have a system to meter it appropriately. If one was using it off hours like alcohol it would not be an issue for me. I just can’t imagine wanting to smoke it at that level. I have seen the tar that is scraped out of pipes. Any sports I have played you always need peak aerobic performance to recover quickly. I can’t believe this would get you peak aerobic performance. The trade off with calories from alcohol might be a wash and an advantage for some.

On a side note, have any of you tried Hemperor beer? It is a legal craft beer minus THC...very hoppy, was not bad. Sampled about 5oz...it will stink up the entire bar with the smell of weed from burping and breathing. Amazing how long you could smell it on your breath and other’s breath. I was pissed thinking someone was smoking or vaping in the bar...turned out it was Hemperor beer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
This is non-news IMHO. For me..., this is one of those "who gives a shit" scenarios. Florio looking for clicks. Although I do not smoke weed [since the 1990's] I say these guys are entitled to choose their method of dealing. With the overdose issues in America due to opioid consumption I say weed fills the need.

This^^^ They should prescribe weed for pain. No seriously. And I've never been a weed smoker, not saying I never did it, But never as a regular thing. But when I had a hip replacement, why not weed instead of the opioids they gave me? It's not addictive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:43 pm 

This post/link is for FC. :D

There's a reference to floating through "hashteroid fields." I'm not joking.