It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Regular season schedule to be released Thursday
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:15 pm 

Edit double post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm 

Predicting W/L for this team is irrelevant.

Especially considering a 13-3 season means jack squat if a one dimensional team can come into your home and smack you around in the divisional round.

Schedule is also a bit irrelevant given our history of shitting the bed against bottom feeders.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:36 pm 

Quixotic wrote:
Ice wrote:
SP wrote:
Steelers vs Bengals week 5 after Burfict comes back.

He's a reasonable, level-headed guy. I'm sure he'll have learned whatever lesson it is they were trying to teach him this time by then.

Of course. Of course. But maybe we can clinch the division by then and can “rest” Ben, Bell, Brown, DeCastro, and anyone else he might want to hurt.

JuJu is first on his hit list right now I am pretty sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:07 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Week 1 Sep 9 @ Browns W
Week 2 Sep 16 Chiefs W
Week 3 Sep 24 @Bucs * W
Week 4 Sep 30 Ravens W
Week 5 Oct 7 Falcons W
Week 6 Oct 14 @Bengals W
Week 7 Bye
Week 8 Oct 28 Browns W
Week 9 Nov 4 @Ravens W
Week 10 Nov 8 Panthers W
Week 11 Nov 18 @Jags L
Week 12 Nov 25 @Broncos L
Week 13 Dec 2 Chargers W
Week 14 Dec 9 @Raiders L
Week 15 Dec 16 Patriots L
Week 16 Dec 23 @Saints L
Week 17 Dec 30 Bengals W

11-5 AFC North Champs

So we’re gonna limp into the playoffs having lost 5 of 7 yet still win the division?

9-0 and finish 11-5....this team is doomed :twisted:

Because Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:07 pm 

955876 wrote:
Predicting W/L for this team is irrelevant.

Especially considering a 13-3 season means jack squat if a one dimensional team can come into your home and smack you around in the divisional round.

Schedule is also a bit irrelevant given our history of shitting the bed against bottom feeders.

Because Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:53 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
The Jags lighting up the D, sans Shazier, for 45 points, to me, is a little more concerning. And by a little, I mean WAAAAAAY more concerning.

Well ya, that is concerning. Never said it wasn’t.

We quite possibly don’t face the Jags in the divisional round though if we can convert a 4th and 1.

Are you going to feel better if the D looks great in a 13-10 loss that could have been won had we not run a toss sweep on 4th & inches?

Likely not.

Just because one issue can be considered a “bigger issue” doesn’t mean the other isn’t an issue or should be dismisssd.

And here is another (large) point you are missing.

The defense come playoff time is what it is. Now one could argue the scheme employed the year prior in the AFCCG was asinine but at the end of the day there is only so much you can do schematically to hide a unit with warts.

Playcalling on the other hand is absolutely within your control.

So while the defense getting gashed is a bigger problem, it is also a problem that will need new personnel to fix. That can’t be done in game.

Dumb playcallingn that sub-optimizes your chances of success is correctable but neglected.

A “little thing” with big ramifications.

Are you any less dead if it takes you a day to bleed out vs a couple minutes?

Fixing the little things matters too and is actually he “low hanging fruit”. Arguing the degree of the various problem is pointless minutiae

I'll agree that dumb play calling is usually an issue that gets you to 4th and 1. If I'm sitting around in April, I'm way more worried about larger issues than 4th and 1 play calling. Coaches (and they already replaced the "playcaller") coach, but the offense has plenty of talent. There are gaping holes in the defense. Get some decent personnel in there, and I like our chances.

You can point to a lot of "little things with big ramifications" in a football game. I'd rather fix the big things with huge ones in the off-season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:12 am 

Pittsburgh Steelers

Thanks to a random but significant quirk, the Steelers could have the AFC North wrapped up by midseason. How? They play five of their six divisional games between Week 1 (Cleveland Browns) and Week 9 (Baltimore Ravens), and only one more over their final eight games. If the Steelers perform well in those games -- and, overall, they have the NFL's easiest first half of the season based on opponent's 2017 winning percentage -- they could bury the Browns, Ravens and perhaps the Cincinnati Bengals early and provide all three little chance to make up ground. Pittsburgh's final divisional game will come in Week 17, at home against the Bengals.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 am 

Steelergenie wrote:
Pittsburgh Steelers

Thanks to a random but significant quirk, the Steelers could have the AFC North wrapped up by midseason. How? They play five of their six divisional games between Week 1 (Cleveland Browns) and Week 9 (Baltimore Ravens), and only one more over their final eight games. If the Steelers perform well in those games -- and, overall, they have the NFL's easiest first half of the season based on opponent's 2017 winning percentage -- they could bury the Browns, Ravens and perhaps the Cincinnati Bengals early and provide all three little chance to make up ground. Pittsburgh's final divisional game will come in Week 17, at home against the Bengals.

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:11 am 

Nothing more concrete and relevant than assessing strength of schedule on April 20th based on last season's records.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am 

Quote:
You can point to a lot of "little things with big ramifications" in a football game. I'd rather fix the big things with huge ones in the off-season.

Not sure why you keep reducing this to an either/or situation.

Nobody is saying fixing the defense isn’t important. You seem stuck on assigning levels of importance.

Obviously the draft and personnel is the task at hand right now.

I get it though. Especially factoring Tomlin’s obscene lack of attention to detail.

Maybe some of these finer points are actually on his mind, albeit on his 2020 “to do” list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next