It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guice case
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:32 pm 

Guice claims a team asked him if he likes men and whether his mother was a prostitute. NFL is investigating. Is this guy a head case or what is going on?

Post subject: Re: Guice case
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:44 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
Guice claims a team asked him if he likes men and whether his mother was a prostitute. NFL is investigating. Is this guy a head case or what is going on?

Doesn't surprise me if true.

These sorts of questions aren't actually that uncommon. Somebody also asked Jerome Baker "what he would do if he punched him in the face right now" at this year's combine. There was another one a few years back about a kid's mom, too, if I'm not mistaken. Fucked up practice, supposedly to "put the kids on the spot." Not something I would want my scouts or coaches doing to 20 year olds, and hopefully the Steelers aren't doing it.

If someone chimes in about how much money the kids are set to make, I'll lose respect. It doesn't excuse the behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:49 pm 

This is his exact claim:
Quote:
‘’It was pretty crazy," Guice said in an interview on the SiriusXM NFL show Late Hits. "Some people are really trying to get in your head and test your reaction. ... I go in one room, and a team will ask me do I like men, just to see my reaction. I go in another room, they’ll try to bring up one of my family members or something and tell me, 'Hey, I heard your mom sells herself. How do you feel about that?’ "

Apparently the same thing happened to Eli Apple a few years ago - that time, the team in question was the Falcons.

Here's an older article about some of the weird questions draft prospects have been asked, so it wouldn't shock me if some teams crossed the line: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/25/11113760/nfl-draft-combine-interview-questions-2016-cat-or-dog
^ this article also sheds some insight as to why the Browns sucked so much at drafting

I remember reading somewhere that the Steelers' interviews are generally pretty pleasant/get-to-know-you types of conversations, although I can't track that down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm 

Could any team make a draft decision based on these dumbfuck questions? They should fire their scouts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:40 pm 

NFL is expected to find no improprieties on the part of the teams. Wonder why?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 pm 

that's like verbatim to what happened to another prospect several years ago....Dez Bryant?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm 

Obviously wrote:
So Guice's claim is taken for gospel and the NFL ownership are conservative fucks after what was allowed to transpire last season. Got it.

Guice's claim matches with several other ones made over a period of years. That's why it's being presumed to be reasonable. As was mentioned a few times above.

It also has no relevance to whether the player is actually homosexual, or whether or not their mother is a prostitute. It's to watch the reaction. Which is stupid and deplorable.

Literally, there's nothing else to see here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:27 pm 

Ice wrote:
It's to watch the reaction. Which is stupid and deplorable.

But every year, at least 1-2 prospects fall in the draft and no one knows why. I wonder if a few DO have strong, negative reactions to the "bullshit" questions.

And it's an easy question to ask to weed out people you want to weed out. If you ask a guy if he's gay and he flies off the handle....I'd tend to think that's a HUGE red flag (actually multiple red flags).

Now, if you ask a guy if his mom is a whore I'm not sure what the appropriate response or reaction is. I think getting punched in the face would be perfectly acceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:45 pm 

Maybe Guice will fall to the Steelers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:57 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Ice wrote:
It's to watch the reaction. Which is stupid and deplorable.

But every year, at least 1-2 prospects fall in the draft and no one knows why. I wonder if a few DO have strong, negative reactions to the "bullshit" questions.

And it's an easy question to ask to weed out people you want to weed out. If you ask a guy if he's gay and he flies off the handle....I'd tend to think that's a HUGE red flag (actually multiple red flags).

Now, if you ask a guy if his mom is a whore I'm not sure what the appropriate response or reaction is. I think getting punched in the face would be perfectly acceptable.

And what if an opposing player asked if your mamma is a whore during the game?

Ok to have a meltdown on the field and punch the offender in the face?

If a player isn’t smart enough at this stage of their life to be able to successfully navigate an interview such as this I wouldn’t want them on my team either.

Is the kid going to climb into the stands and beat a fan down if they call his mamma a hoe?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:29 pm 

I mean, nobody asked me during my job interview if my mom was a prostitute, and I have students who, when provoked, could probably spew more (and far more creative) profanity than any NFL fan, and likely as much as any NFL player.

Nobody asked me what I would do if confronted with violence in the workplace, and student on staff violence happens in my profession, as well. I guess I just think the questions are out of bounds coming from professional evaluators of talent.

Surely by now the prospects are coached and ready for them by now, as well, rendering the questions stupid, deplorable and useless.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 pm 

You make good points about the questions. But then, and please don’t take offense to this as none is intended, teachers don’t get paid millions upon millions of dollars. With a good portion of it paid before any services are rendered for said pay.

If the school you teach at was going to pay you mega-millions up front they might have different hiring policies than they do now.

Especially when you factor these “employees” don’t really have a work history in this environment.

As an owner who’s about to sign a multi-million dollar check to some kid, I can see why they may feel inclined to want to know as much as possible in regards to the kids mental make-up.

Very little recourse after the check has been cashed if kid turns out to be a head case.

Last edited by 955876 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:41 pm 

Ice wrote:
I mean, nobody asked me during my job interview if my mom was a prostitute, and I have students who, when provoked, could probably spew more (and far more creative) profanity than any NFL fan, and likely as much as any NFL player.

Nobody asked me what I would do if confronted with violence in the workplace, and student on staff violence happens in my profession, as well. I guess I just think the questions are out of bounds coming from professional evaluators of talent.

Surely by now the prospects are coached and ready for them by now, as well, rendering the questions stupid, deplorable and useless.

Let me play devil’s advocate, but also say that I agree without reservation that such questions are vulgar and absurd.

Let me say also that the amount of money these guys are going to get paid is irrelevant in my mind, pace 95.

However, character is a developed disposition in relation to pleasure and pain. How you test for character is by putting people in situations of extreme pleasure and pain. That’s when actions talk and bullshit walks.

Asking absurdly inappropriate and irrelevant and painful questions may go some length to revealing character. And in today’s media market, no doubt teams are interested in whether the young man before them has the kind of moderation and self control they expect.

I still think it’s vulgar in the extreme.

Last edited by Still Lit on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:55 pm 

Doesn't matter if you think this is inappropriate or not, the NFL has said this stuff won't be tolerated anymore and whichever teams are still conducting these questions are going to find that out the hard way.

I see nothing wrong with Guice matter of factly relaying any of this, I have heard others say some of the same things over the years. Supposedly the NFL put a stop to these line of questions but I guess not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:18 pm 

955876 wrote:
You make good points about the questions. But then, and please don’t take offense to this as none is intended, teachers don’t get paid millions upon millions of dollars. With a good portion of it paid before any services are rendered for said pay.

If the school you teach at was going to pay you mega-millions up front they might have different hiring policies than they do now.

Especially when you factor these “employees” don’t really have a work history in this environment.

As an owner who’s about to sign a multi-million dollar check to some kid, I can see why they may feel inclined to want to know as much as possible in regards to the kids mental make-up.

Very little recourse after the check has been cashed if kid turns out to be a head case.

I would say that if a kid can survive the shit talking and fans in big time college football, they aren't going to see much new in the pros. I'd also argue that in any other profession, the interview process doesn't degenerate as the salary goes up.

An even decent psychiatrist can design a personality test that can find out if a kid is a "head case" without calling his mother a whore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Doesn't matter if you think this is inappropriate or not, the NFL has said this stuff won't be tolerated anymore and whichever teams are still conducting these questions are going to find that out the hard way.

I see nothing wrong with Guice matter of factly relaying any of this, I have heard others say some of the same things over the years. Supposedly the NFL put a stop to these line of questions but I guess not.

I didn't remember the NFL already putting the kabosh on it. Jesus. Meathead idiots.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 pm 

Quote:
I have heard others say some of the same things over the years.

Exactly. This isn’t a new practice.

If anything, it’s been curtailed from years gone by.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:31 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
I have heard others say some of the same things over the years.

Exactly. This isn’t a new practice.

If anything, it’s been curtailed from years gone by.

Actually, two reported cases this year vs two reported ones ever doesn't represent a decrease.

And it doesn't matter if it's new or old, it's stupid, pointless and totally unprofessional.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:54 pm 

Scunge wrote:

I would be in favor of docking draft picks to end it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:11 pm 

TB wrote:
Scunge wrote:

I would be in favor of docking draft picks to end it.

Well at least we know it’s not the Steelers doing this.

They’ve burned 1st rounders on guys that don’t even have a true desire to play the game.

If they aren’t figuring that out pre-draft they certainly aren’t going down this road.

And if they are, they are dumber than some already perceive them to be.

As dumb as these questions are and no matter how inappropriate, they are real easy questions to answer and simply move along from.

Further, has it been confirmed this actually happened? It would be real easy to flip this on a team.

Call out the team. Call out the executive. In this day and age they likely get fired.

I’m not saying it didn’t happen but it’s also possible the guy is exaggerating or making it up.

That happens too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:08 am 

I think he will be picked way before the Steelers pick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
I think he will be picked way before the Steelers pick.

Who takes him steelmann? What does your mock indicate?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:31 am 

955876 wrote:

Well at least we know it’s not the Steelers doing this.

They’ve burned 1st rounders on guys that don’t even have a true desire to play the game.

If they aren’t figuring that out pre-draft they certainly aren’t going down this road.

And if they are, they are dumber than some already perceive them to be.

As dumb as these questions are and no matter how inappropriate, they are real easy questions to answer and simply move along from.

Further, has it been confirmed this actually happened? It would be real easy to flip this on a team.

Call out the team. Call out the executive. In this day and age they likely get fired.

I’m not saying it didn’t happen but it’s also possible the guy is exaggerating or making it up.

That happens too.

^I agree with this.^

I remember reading an article on the draft process by a GM who said ( paraphrase) " we know everything about these men but what goes on in their head." I am guessing some coaches/GMs are using their 15-30 minutes with these players at the combine to ask these questions. Not what I would do an apparently not what the Steelers do. They want to understand who they are. Some players will come off well becasue they take the combine like a job interview. Some do not.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 am 

If you want to know what goes on in someone's head, employ a psychiatrist. Or, if you're a moron, just ask them if their mom fucks for money and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:12 am 

Who gives a shit?! The whole thing seems like an attention grab to me. Moving on...