It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Justin Hunter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
ChippedHamSandwich wrote:
Maybe the best argument ever to prove that these stats do not translate into sustainable success in the NFL......

I like the Decker idea, he's a pro and I think Ben would totally be on the same page with him from the get-go.

the new Cotchery

We should let IC be the judge of that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:16 pm 

I happen to like Justin Hunter. I hope he makes the team.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:10 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
I happen to like Justin Hunter. I hope he makes the team.

He probably just needs more time to gel with Ben.....I mean, the great Cotchatron didn't contribute much more his first TWO years with the team. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:15 pm 

KC wrote:
R S wrote:
maybe 1 out of 3 that hit him in he hands. Really not sure what Coates you were watching KC.

Nah, Coates was very good early in the season and then his freaking hand split open.

Does he have AB level hands? Of course not. Did he do a great job in the Nate Washington "take the top off the defense" role? Absolutely.

Coates is limited as hell, as was Washington, but before he was injured, Coates made several big plays for the Steelers.

Hunter made ZERO.

I also thought that Coates had real potential. He was having a good year in 2016, getting better every game, until he mangled his hand. He had a monster game against the Jets. I thought he was starting to emerge as a replacement for Bryant. It's too bad that his career has gone off the rails since then- his hand injury must have been severe. Still, if it were up to me I'd bring Coates to camp to compete.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:27 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
KC wrote:
R S wrote:
maybe 1 out of 3 that hit him in he hands. Really not sure what Coates you were watching KC.

Nah, Coates was very good early in the season and then his freaking hand split open.

Does he have AB level hands? Of course not. Did he do a great job in the Nate Washington "take the top off the defense" role? Absolutely.

Coates is limited as hell, as was Washington, but before he was injured, Coates made several big plays for the Steelers.

Hunter made ZERO.

I also thought that Coates had real potential. He was having a good year in 2016, getting better every game, until he mangled his hand. He had a monster game against the Jets. I thought he was starting to emerge as a replacement for Bryant. It's too bad that his career has gone off the rails since then- his hand injury must have been severe. Still, if it were up to me I'd bring Coates to camp to compete.

I believe Coates is now with the Texans.

We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. -Clark W. Griswald
#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:21 pm 

Yeah, Coates is now a Texan, which is very good for us. Even before his injury, his hands were bad, not a natural catcher of the football, fights to catch the ball cleanly, and I don't mean fighting FOR the football. Looked like Taran plays like Jane. For someone so athletic and powerful, it did not really show up on the field. I was amazed also at how robotical, how mechanical he was in running his routes, at cutting, at running with the football in his hands.

Even when everybody was excited about what he did early in that 2016 season, I was yawning mostly. I knew he was not a solution but a problem and would be replaced. The injury just accelerated my suspicions of the player. Sure enough, they drafted JuJu and the rest is history.

As to Hunter, I am really tired that of the argument that he doesn't play special teams. If the NFL eliminates kickoffs say in 2019, does being able to play special teams matter anymore? If there are no kickoffs does Hayward-Bey even make the team? If that comes to pass then the 4th and 5th WRs on your roster had better be able to carve out a role on your offense first and foremost. Hunter is an athletic freak, can be a dangerous vertical deep threat, when he came to Pittsburgh he had 78 catches and 12 TDs. Rogers and Bryant struggled mightily last season so it is not that big a surprise that Hunter did not get going either. With another year under his belt who knows? As was pointed out Cotchery underwhelmed until that last season in Pittsburgh.

Somehow I am more confident in Fitchner being able to get Hunter productive. Just had no confidence in Haley, thought he neutered our players and offense more often than not.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 pm 

Quote:
If the NFL eliminates kickoffs say in 2019, does being able to play special teams matter anymore?

I hate the idea of this but a bright side would be teams no longer having to allocate roster spots to special teams only or mostly type players that add little to the O or D.

Find yourself with too many of these guys on your roster and you’re likely a mediocre team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:11 am 

955876 wrote:
I hate the idea of this but a bright side would be teams no longer having to allocate roster spots to special teams only or mostly type players that add little to the O or D.

And my prediction is they will reduce the roster size - lower % to the players, but on average they'll get more because of fewer players... everyone wins.

On a related note, a James Harrison never gets a 3rd or 4th chance in the above scenario. It's amazing that a HOF-lock SHOULD have had about a 3-yr NFL career. Kind of unbelievable that he got 3-4 chances.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:32 am 

I like Hunter's potential. We rarely saw any over the last season he was in Pittsburgh. His only knock is he doesn't play ST's. As a 3rd, 4th, 5th WR you have to offer multiple talents to stay on the active roster. At least in Pittsburgh. Hunter IMHO is on the roster bubble and may not make the 53 this season. Wait and see mode.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm 

I was completely unimpressed with Hunter last preseason. IMO he only made the team because they got a trade deal for Coates and don't cut 1-yr FA signings.

Heck, if he wasn't already guaranteed a roster spot when he signed, Ayers might have even beaten him out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 am 

Kodiak wrote:
I was completely unimpressed with Hunter last preseason. IMO he only made the team because they got a trade deal for Coates and don't cut 1-yr FA signings.

Heck, if he wasn't already guaranteed a roster spot when he signed, Ayers might have even beaten him out.

Ayers was far more impressive than Hunter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm 

I think Hunter will be better this season especially a full OTA with Ben

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
I think Hunter will be better this season especially a full OTA with Ben

He can hardly be worse. He was a complete non-entity this year. Frankly, I had forgotten than Hunter was on the Steelers until I saw this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:05 am 

So...why doesn’t/can’t Hunter play STs? Special exemption from the commissioner? :mrgreen:

We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny fucking Kaye. -Clark W. Griswald
#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
If the NFL eliminates kickoffs say in 2019, does being able to play special teams matter anymore?

Find yourself with too many of these guys on your roster and you’re likely a mediocre team.

Right... Because the punt teams won't need players...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 pm 

:o didn’t even think about that.

We can revisit in a few years when they outlaw punts too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 pm 

955876 wrote:
:o didn’t even think about that.

We can revisit in a few years when they outlaw punts too.

You can still have punts while outlawing punt returns (which still eliminates the need for ST, outside of punter). I could foresee putting someone back to either fair catch the ball or let it bounce/roll (and they aren't allowed to block anyone).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 pm 

the way the NFL is going ST will not be around alot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 pm 

I don't think they are unhappy about the punt returns. They point to the KOs as dangerous because one side already has a full head of steam when the ball is kicked.

But who knows when the league is run by a clown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
They point to the KOs as dangerous because one side already has a full head of steam when the ball is kicked.
Um. . . but isn't that the whole fucking point? Run down the field at full steam and light somebody up? Conversely, catch the ball and run for daylight, or get jacked.

That's fucking football, goddamnit!!