It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looks like the steelers have found their ST Guy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:37 am 

This dude is purely a ST guy he's not starting on this defense unless its a rash of injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 pm 

The Depot guys did a story on him, looks to be a signing for the vacant up back punt protector spot that Golden did so well. Still think we got worse not better. And again, even the other Golden, Malik Golden is much faster than Berhe, 4.50 to 4.71. Trying to find a safety that we have signed in the past 10 years that is slower than Nat. Ryan Mundy? 4.55. Ross Ventrone? 4.48.

I give up. Nat Berhe has to be the slowest safety that we have signed in the last 10 years. Whether you play defense or not, speed is pretty important if you play special teams and weigh 193 pounds. I don't want to hear what Berhe did last season for the Giants, that team was awful, they gave up 2 blocked punts, gave up over 10.4 yards a punt return (Steelers only gave up 7.7 yards), gave up a punt return for a TD, they cut Brad Wing the punter we traded to them, they didn't feel the need to try and retain Berhe. They knew how awful their ST units were and they are cleaning house, so why would we want to rummage through their dump bins for special teams help?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 pm 

Or is what he did last year with Giants indicative of a diamond in the rough? That team was bad and the environment was bad...his highlight reel is all we have to go with...There are many players on the Steelers D and SPTeams that couldn’t put together a reel like that even with the most generous of edits.

The injury, speed and size are concerning.

He just looks like he has a nose for the ball and plays with reckless abandon. Of course those types are probably a dime a dozen.

FYI...on his Reddit AMA “ask me anything” he alluded to the fact that he tanked his 40 at the combine. Hopefully that is the case, because he looks a lot faster than the pedestrian 4.71.

I will hope for the best, but realize Scunge’s accessment is probably accurate.

One other thing...Bradley is definitely putting his mark on the secondary...wonder how much input he had if any on the Spec Team’s decision.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm 

I found some numbers for his Pro Day which he ran a 4.55. But his numbers for his 3-cone and short shuttle were much worse than what he ran at his combine. So which numbers can you really believe? Pro Days to me are very manufactured and really give the player an advantage. Are they being electronically timed or just manually by a stopwatch? I have a rule of thumb where I take the average of the combine and Pro Day times and figure that is about right. So, he is probably a 4.63 guy?

Even that number is awful. I am not excited but I don't have to be. This is the time of year where we sign players to fill out the 90 day roster going into training camp. Knile Davis was signed to be that RB/KR and he ended up being cut last year. Being signed does not automatically mean you have the team made. Of course it doesn't hurt either. You look at Kameron Canaday the LS signed last offseason before the draft and then we use a pick on Holba. Holba does not make the team and we go with the free agent long snapper. You just never know. Maybe we draft a safety in round 5 or 7 and Berhe makes the team over the rookie. I at least like that Colbert and the Steelers give themselves safety nets, contingency plans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:23 pm 

I've seen Nat Berhe play some and he always stood out to me on STs - shows that want too that Nix and Dirty Red show. Now, maybe the guys around him were so bad it made him look good, but I think he'll be an asset to our STs. I look for a big overall improvement for that unit this year. Of course, we need to find some top PR/KRs. If that happens, we could be a top 10 ST unit, maybe top 5.