It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Safety visiting?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm 

Quote:
@art_stapleton
Former #NYGiants safety Nat Berhe is on his way to Pittsburgh for free agent visit with #Steelers, per source https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/statu ... 3363735553
Anyone hear of this from a few days ago? ST's Gunner/Jammer? Not a whole lot out there regarding production for this guy.

Post subject: Re: Another Safety visiting?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:33 pm 

Berhe les the giants in ST tackles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 am 

I know many hated Robert Golden but I think he was a very good special teams player, one of our best. Was great as the up back on punts, had two completions on the passes he threw for first downs on fake punts. He was for all intents and purposes our special teams captain and we cut him.

I see this Berhe guy as an inferior special teams player. Runs a 4.71, Golden ran a 4.51. If you didn't think Golden was much help on defense as a safety, it is hard to imagine Berhe being two steps slower helping any either.

I guess a one year minimum deal would be okay, but it is almost like the Steelers spited the nose on their face in cutting Golden. They cut him and saved $1.475 million but then you sign a Berhe for say, $695,000? Great, you saved what, $750,000 but have a player who is slower and not as good a special teams player. Is that worth it? I mean they could have cut Coty Sensabaugh if they wanted to save $1.4 million. That guy is no good as a CB or as a special teams player.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:13 am 

I agree Scunge. If this guy is who they're targeting then just re-sign Golden. I never hated Golden. I thought he was a necessary player. He served the Steelers well. Although he was limited in his ability to play safety he managed to make himself irreplaceable for a time on ST's. Golden has been in the system for several years already. Golden is only 27. I re-sign Golden and pass on this Berhe player.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:25 am 

Scunge wrote:
I know many hated Robert Golden but I think he was a very good special teams player, one of our best. Was great as the up back on punts, had two completions on the passes he threw for first downs on fake punts. He was for all intents and purposes our special teams captain and we cut him.

I see this Berhe guy as an inferior special teams player. Runs a 4.71, Golden ran a 4.51. If you didn't think Golden was much help on defense as a safety, it is hard to imagine Berhe being two steps slower helping any either.

I guess a one year minimum deal would be okay, but it is almost like the Steelers spited the nose on their face in cutting Golden. They cut him and saved $1.475 million but then you sign a Berhe for say, $695,000? Great, you saved what, $750,000 but have a player who is slower and not as good a special teams player. Is that worth it? I mean they could have cut Coty Sensabaugh if they wanted to save $1.4 million. That guy is no good as a CB or as a special teams player.

Yet they cling to DHB....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:44 pm 

Say GoodBye To Robert Golden....

https://twitter.com/R0bG0lden/status/98 ... -golden%2F

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:55 pm 

Best of Luck to Robert.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:12 pm 

Yeah, good for Golden. He is one of these special teams players that will play 10-12 years in the NFL.

It would not surprise me to see us have a couple blocked punts this season, that up back position, that personal protector for the punter is a very under-rated role. Golden was great at it and was even able to do audibles and kill it with an option pass. Still mystifies me why they wanted to get worse at special teams and save maybe $750k in the process after signing his replacement. They could have cut both Wilcox and Senabaugh and saved $3.5 million after displacement and kept Golden at his $1.475 million.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:17 pm 

Jeezus Cripes...Golden fucking sucks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:40 pm 

Sucks how? As a safety, as a special teams player? What do you expect from your 4th-5th safety?

At the bottom of your depth chart that player has to be a very good special teams player, Golden was a captain of special teams, he could play all the units, he was the up back on punts, he threw two option passes for 69 yards both first downs. What in all of that sucks?

I remember a game against Carolina where Golden really helped seal the win because he was one of the gunners and ran down the field on a punt. It was Thomas and Golden that were down there in a hurry, Shmarko hit the return guy and forced the fumble and Golden scooped up the football and ran into the end zone for the TD. What in that sucked?

Golden unfortunately is not able to cover Gronk and gets burned and is forever cursed by some Steelers fans, as if Sean Davis or Troy Polamalu could do any better?

Sorry, but losing Golden on special teams makes this team worse not better. Now if they draft say a Natrell Jamerson in round 5 than all is forgiven, he is my favorite special teams player in the whole draft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Sucks how? As a safety, as a special teams player? What do you expect from your 4th-5th safety?

At the bottom of your depth chart that player has to be a very good special teams player, Golden was a captain of special teams, he could play all the units, he was the up back on punts, he threw two option passes for 69 yards both first downs. What in all of that sucks?

I remember a game against Carolina where Golden really helped seal the win because he was one of the gunners and ran down the field on a punt. It was Thomas and Golden that were down there in a hurry, Shmarko hit the return guy and forced the fumble and Golden scooped up the football and ran into the end zone for the TD. What in that sucked?

Golden unfortunately is not able to cover Gronk and gets burned and is forever cursed by some Steelers fans, as if Sean Davis or Troy Polamalu could do any better?

Sorry, but losing Golden on special teams makes this team worse not better. Now if they draft say a Natrell Jamerson in round 5 than all is forgiven, he is my favorite special teams player in the whole draft.

He most definitely sucks as a safety. And the sorry thing is that he wasn’t the 4th/5th safety. For most of last season, he was the 3rd safety...hell, wasn’t that long ago he was a starter. He quickly played himself out of those roles. And it wasn’t because he couldn’t cover Gronkowski...he couldn’t, but he also couldn’t cover most JAGs.
With all due respect, I’m sorry, but I don’t see the ST stud that you do. Being a ST captain is more likely about being available on each unit, rather than ability. And while I give him credit for the fake punts, that’s more about film study than playmaking. Scooping a fumble is great, but that’s an opportunity after someone else makes the play. Again, good on him for finishing. There is nothing about those three plays that screams ST demon.
Improving the back side of your roster can go a long way towards improving your team, and I’d like to give the Steelers credit for attempting to do that in this case, but I look at the recent re-signings of Toussaint and McCullers, and have to think this one is about a guy that doesn’t bring enough to the field to justify his payday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:35 pm 

It looks like according to his account Berhe signed with the Steelers