It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could this ex-player be a possibility?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:43 am 

Matt Elam

Quote:
“I’m gonna take advantage of it,” he said. “I’m gonna embrace it and love ’em like family. If I get a second chance I’m definitely going to take advantage of it.”

New Gators coach Dan Mullen said Elam was still a part of the Gators family, but there are no guarantees he’ll find an NFL family. He’s 26. There are plenty of younger safeties, including in the same building where he stood.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-flo ... 59758.html
Any interest? More importantly is he someone the Steelers could ever have any interest in 'giving a second chance' and bringing him in as a fringe player looking for a job....

Post subject: Re: Could this ex-player be a possibility?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:03 am 

Could be interesting Robert Golden replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 am 

I know he'd come cheap. Has some NFL experience. Having screwed the pooch and washing out of the NFL at a young age he'll be much more motivated than a 1st RND pick immature self-entitled dumbass he was known to be. I think he'd be worth the time and efforts. I think he's salvageable still. Injury is real concern since he was injured a lot early in his career. I think that had something to do with his [lack of] development and focus which led him to this scenario. He should get a shot IMHO. Maybe not with the Steelers but some team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:41 am 

First I am a Gator. I like Elam and he was a difference maker in Gainesville. The kind of difference maker we need in our defensive backfield.

The issue I am having is how is he coming back from a personal growth standpoint? Seeing him at the Pro Day 2 in shape is great! But how has he fixed the stuff that got him in trouble? Can we count on the guy to not return to his old ways once he gets a bit of money in his pocket?

Usually, if the Steelers are going in on a guy with a past, he has to have made some sort of public stand against his former life (Vick cough cough). Is he going to schools and talking to kids, is he working to improve his hometown community? I get talent and I get troubled talent on the cheap, but this is how Cincinnati does business. An article posed the right questions if Matt can answer those questions then sign him up and put him with the other Gators on the team. Quick note for the post accountants the author said he was asking two questions and slid four in there:

Quote:
There are two questions here: 1) Is Elam “right mentally”? 2) Was he good enough to begin with? He did have a rash of injuries, but it’s impossible to tell if he would have done better if healthy. Was it a bad fit in Baltimore? Or was it something no team could fix?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:27 pm 

Well said Veritas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:01 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
First I am a Gator. I like Elam and he was a difference maker in Gainesville. The kind of difference maker we need in our defensive backfield.

The issue I am having is how is he coming back from a personal growth standpoint? Seeing him at the Pro Day 2 in shape is great! But how has he fixed the stuff that got him in trouble? Can we count on the guy to not return to his old ways once he gets a bit of money in his pocket?

Usually, if the Steelers are going in on a guy with a past, he has to have made some sort of public stand against his former life (Vick cough cough). Is he going to schools and talking to kids, is he working to improve his hometown community? I get talent and I get troubled talent on the cheap, but this is how Cincinnati does business. An article posed the right questions if Matt can answer those questions then sign him up and put him with the other Gators on the team. Quick note for the post accountants the author said he was asking two questions and slid four in there:

Quote:
There are two questions here: 1) Is Elam “right mentally”? 2) Was he good enough to begin with? He did have a rash of injuries, but it’s impossible to tell if he would have done better if healthy. Was it a bad fit in Baltimore? Or was it something no team could fix?

Spot on. Great analogy. We are not the Bengals but if he could show he's on the right path, take a swing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:17 pm 

I'd take a flier on him, really liked his college tape. Worst case scenario he doesn't make the 53 come cut down time after training camp.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:02 pm 

Poor mans Shamarko Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:57 pm 

SP wrote:
Poor mans Shamarko Thomas

Now there’s a vote of confidence...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:03 pm 

Ouch Perch! That's like one of the lowest jabs one could take at Elam. I think even within the very limited play time he played I'd take Elam over Thomas; too funny though Perch.

Side Note: I'd take a flier on this guy. Better competition than what's currently signed up...

Quote:
@christomasson
Source said the #Vikings have inquired about punter Marquette King, released today by Oakland. Vikings punter Ryan Quigley is under contract in 2018 for a non-guaranteed $790,000. https://twitter.com/christomasson/statu ... 8011017217