It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin: not a fan of celebrations
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:19 am 

Nick79 wrote:
To be honest, I'm ok with last season or the season before. I'm not angry. I take each game as a stand alone event to be happy about, so the last few seasons I've had plenty of stand alone entertainment events to enjoy. So falling short of the Super Bowl isn't the end of the world, because it's pretty much THE NORM for every franchise over a lifetime, so to me, last season, as disappointing as losing the playoff game was, 13-4 overall gave me entertainment value over a 4 month period, was a success for me, I had fun. Of course I'd rather win the Super Bowl, but if you're only happy with the Super Bowl, then you're almost never happy.I know people who say they'd rather go 0-16 to get the top pick, rather than lose the wild card game, because it's not the Super Bowl. Well I think that's stupid, every game, every Autumn is important to me, it's not only about the Super Bowl that only the very best franchises win, but rarely, it's more about the week to week games, 13-4 is not a failure, because I had fun 13 weekends. .

I mean, it's all relative to your emotional attachment to the team. If you're the sort who becomes incapable of enjoying his or her day or week because his or her sports team lost a playoff game, nothing is going to satisfy other than a SB appearance.

Gotta say, though, that Jax loss was especially shitty. Top three shittiest of the Tomlin era, easily. So, while I agree with your sentiments in general, Nick, there's losing and then there's being a loser and that Jax game on D was a total loser. It was...gross...and....pathetic...from my untrained eye.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
To be honest, I'm ok with last season or the season before. I'm not angry. I take each game as a stand alone event to be happy about, so the last few seasons I've had plenty of stand alone entertainment events to enjoy. So falling short of the Super Bowl isn't the end of the world, because it's pretty much THE NORM for every franchise over a lifetime, so to me, last season, as disappointing as losing the playoff game was, 13-4 overall gave me entertainment value over a 4 month period, was a success for me, I had fun. Of course I'd rather win the Super Bowl, but if you're only happy with the Super Bowl, then you're almost never happy.I know people who say they'd rather go 0-16 to get the top pick, rather than lose the wild card game, because it's not the Super Bowl. Well I think that's stupid, every game, every Autumn is important to me, it's not only about the Super Bowl that only the very best franchises win, but rarely, it's more about the week to week games, 13-4 is not a failure, because I had fun 13 weekends. .

I mean, it's all relative to your emotional attachment to the team. If you're the sort who becomes incapable of enjoying his or her day or week because his or her sports team lost a playoff game, nothing is going to satisfy other than a SB appearance.

Gotta say, though, that Jax loss was especially shitty. Top three shittiest of the Tomlin era, easily. So, while I agree with your sentiments in general, Nick, there's losing and then there's being a loser and that Jax game on D was a total loser. It was...gross...and....pathetic...from my untrained eye.

It's a balance of expectations vs results.

If you have a team that sneaks into playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 and loses in the first round vs a superior opponent...no big deal. I'll go to bed and wake up perfectly happy.

But if you have a team that finished 11-3 and still loses in the first round....then that's traditionally been harder to swallow.

However, I will say my emotional ties to the NFL have waned significantly over the years and even last year's lost to Jacksonville didn't evoke much more than a laugh and a "get 'em next year" from me.

I'd take a first round loss for the Penguins significantly harder than I would for the Steelers, these days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

True, I used to be like that. in the mid-Cowher years I was always upset, most about losing AFCCGs, the 2001 game vs. NE about killed me, After that I kind of decided, all I wanted was another Super Bowl win before I die, OUTSIDE OF THE 1970s! Because I was sick of losing and having Steelers fans rationalize with, "But in the '70s...", then eventually we won another, then another... since then I've been more content. Sure I want to win the Super Bowl, but losing and not winning the big game bothers me way less, Instead of leaning on the '70s, I just feel like, it's really unreasonable to expect more success than we have, and that included division titles, AFCCGs and all of that, so I tend to walk away from losses and falling short of the Super Bowl unscathed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 am 

Quote:
It depends on what the totality of the variables of totality mean for us.

I hope this gobbledygook is just a typo and not a direct quote.

However, given what the word smiff has consistently “put on tape” it most likely is a direct quote.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:07 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
It depends on what the totality of the variables of totality mean for us.

LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:46 pm 

Quote:
there's losing and then there's being a loser

Exactly....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next