It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin: not a fan of celebrations
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:59 pm 

SP wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Nick....I don't think any fan base would "die for" anything short of a championship. You wouldn't, I wouldn't, and neither would anybody else.

I wouldn’t be so sure

THIS^^^

I'm sure Cleveland or Detroit fans would get in line to have division champs t shirts! They're jealous of Bungles fans when they see them in the AFC North Champs gear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:36 pm 

Still doubt that any fan base....Bungals, Browns, Lions...would "die for" any season short of a championship. Silly argument to have though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:50 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Still doubt that any fan base....Bungals, Browns, Lions...would "die for" any season short of a championship. Silly argument to have though.

Agree...and at the same time, being better than the dregs is nothing to hang your hat on. Steelers fans expect excellence and championships. If that makes us spoiled and/or entitled, then guilty as charged.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:42 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Agree...and at the same time, being better than the dregs is nothing to hang your hat on. Steelers fans expect excellence and championships. If that makes us spoiled and/or entitled, then guilty as charged.

Jobus gets it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:14 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

To be honest, I'm ok with last season or the season before. I'm not angry. I take each game as a stand alone event to be happy about, so the last few seasons I've had plenty of stand alone entertainment events to enjoy. So falling short of the Super Bowl isn't the end of the world, because it's pretty much THE NORM for every franchise over a lifetime, so to me, last season, as disappointing as losing the playoff game was, 13-4 overall gave me entertainment value over a 4 month period, was a success for me, I had fun. Of course I'd rather win the Super Bowl, but if you're only happy with the Super Bowl, then you're almost never happy.I know people who say they'd rather go 0-16 to get the top pick, rather than lose the wild card game, because it's not the Super Bowl. Well I think that's stupid, every game, every Autumn is important to me, it's not only about the Super Bowl that only the very best franchises win, but rarely, it's more about the week to week games, 13-4 is not a failure, because I had fun 13 weekends. .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:55 am 

When you have a HOF QB in a QB flag football league in his twighlight, I expect the Steelers to change the way they always do things, get outside the box and try harder to win, risk the future, etc.

They have blown the last few years with a shit defense beyond belief!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:25 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

To be honest, I'm ok with last season or the season before. I'm not angry. I take each game as a stand alone event to be happy about, so the last few seasons I've had plenty of stand alone entertainment events to enjoy. So falling short of the Super Bowl isn't the end of the world, because it's pretty much THE NORM for every franchise over a lifetime, so to me, last season, as disappointing as losing the playoff game was, 13-4 overall gave me entertainment value over a 4 month period, was a success for me, I had fun. Of course I'd rather win the Super Bowl, but if you're only happy with the Super Bowl, then you're almost never happy.I know people who say they'd rather go 0-16 to get the top pick, rather than lose the wild card game, because it's not the Super Bowl. Well I think that's stupid, every game, every Autumn is important to me, it's not only about the Super Bowl that only the very best franchises win, but rarely, it's more about the week to week games, 13-4 is not a failure, because I had fun 13 weekends. .

Nick...I think we all have fun when the Steelers win. Well...maybe not all of us. And, on a tangentially-related topic, we can have fun and still critique aspects of the team's play and coaching decisions when Steelers win. Engaging in post-game analysis is fun, too!!

I think the issue is the extreme to which you've gone in describing the speculative reaction of other fan bases to the type of season the Steelers just had. To that...I still maintain that no fan base would "die for" a season where their team fails to win a playoff game. A great regular season, followed by a one-and-done exit from the playoffs has got to bring a level of disappointment that at least balances the regular season joy. It's hard to imagine that it would be a season "to die for."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:56 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
When you have a HOF QB in a QB flag football league in his twighlight, I expect the Steelers to change the way they always do things, get outside the box and try harder to win, risk the future, etc.

They have blown the last few years with a shit defense beyond belief!

I've always been disappointed that they have refused forever to just fully embrace the "flag football" mentality of the modern game to the fullest, meaning NEVER CHEW CLOCK, feel like you need another TD FAST when you're up by 20 with 10:00 left. It's going to get more and more in that direction. Running and stopping the run won't be a formula for success ever again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 am 

Quote:
“I’m not opposed to dramatic changes,” Tomlin said from last week’s NFL owners meetings in Orlando.

“I think that is the appropriate mentality to have,” said Tomlin of potential changes. “We may change in dramatic ways, we may not. It depends on what the totality of the variables of totality mean for us. But I think it’s great to have an attitude that’s not resistant to it.”

“I am always a little bit hesitant to draw conclusions from a deadline standpoint because there is so much time,” Tomlin said. “We are still very much putting together critical pieces. We are still highly involved in free agency. We still have a draft to prepare for. I think really the culmination of the draft formally kind of starts that process of information being collected over an extended period of time. Yes, we have made some decisions in terms of things and directions that we anticipate or we know that we are going to go in.”

“We have a lot of young players in the positions that need to grow,” Tomlin said. “The ways that they are teaching in college today is different than when they were teaching when I coached college football a number of years ago. The constraints in which they work in terms of time. The utilization of technology is a teach tool. All of those things are interesting things that [Bradley] has had direct involvement with in terms of coaching the young people.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-ste ... steelers-d

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:46 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
“I’m not opposed to dramatic changes,” Tomlin said from last week’s NFL owners meetings in Orlando.

“I think that is the appropriate mentality to have,” said Tomlin of potential changes. “We may change in dramatic ways, we may not. It depends on what the totality of the variables of totality mean for us. But I think it’s great to have an attitude that’s not resistant to it.”

“I am always a little bit hesitant to draw conclusions from a deadline standpoint because there is so much time,” Tomlin said. “We are still very much putting together critical pieces. We are still highly involved in free agency. We still have a draft to prepare for. I think really the culmination of the draft formally kind of starts that process of information being collected over an extended period of time. Yes, we have made some decisions in terms of things and directions that we anticipate or we know that we are going to go in.”

“We have a lot of young players in the positions that need to grow,” Tomlin said. “The ways that they are teaching in college today is different than when they were teaching when I coached college football a number of years ago. The constraints in which they work in terms of time. The utilization of technology is a teach tool. All of those things are interesting things that [Bradley] has had direct involvement with in terms of coaching the young people.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-ste ... steelers-d

Tomlin has missed his true calling...used car salesmen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next