It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Life after Bell
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 pm 

I do think that OC’s under Tomlin have a lot of autonomy because the offense with Arians as OC looked a lot different than the offense with Haley as OC. For example, with a 3rd and 20 under Arians, we throw the ball 20 yards often picking up the first down. With a 3rd and 20 under Haley, we run a draw and punt.

I’m thinking of a situation that annoyed Swiss, but I’m fuzzy on the details so I’ll make them up as I go. It’s the AFCCG vs. the Jets. The Steelers have the ball late with a narrow lead facing a critical 3rd and long. The way the Jets moved the ball in the second half made you think that if they got the ball back they would win. So they complete a long pass to Brown(?) to clinch the win. It’s the play where you saw Ryan throw his headphones to the ground after.

Tomlin was miked for the game, and before the play Arians comes and asks him what he wants to do. What annoyed Swiss was Tomlin saying “call your play, BA.” Rather than calling a play himself, Tomlin let Arians call it. So Arians, being Arians, calls the deep pass to clinch the win.

This doesn’t make Tomlin a potted plant, but his OC’s have a great deal of latitude. It won’t surprise me to see the offense look very different under Fich in terms of philosophy and situational game calling. Why wouldn’t Tomlin intercede with Haley to change things that weren’t working? Dunno, but he let him do his thing and then just let him leave when his contract expired. I expect Fich will be allowed to do what he wants as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
I do think that OC’s under Tomlin have a lot of autonomy because the offense with Arians as OC looked a lot different than the offense with Haley as OC. For example, with a 3rd and 20 under Arians, we throw the ball 20 yards often picking up the first down. With a 3rd and 20 under Haley, we run a draw and punt.

I’m thinking of a situation that annoyed Swiss, but I’m fuzzy on the details so I’ll make them up as I go. It’s the AFCCG vs. the Jets. The Steelers have the ball late with a narrow lead facing a critical 3rd and long. The way the Jets moved the ball in the second half made you think that if they got the ball back they would win. So they complete a long pass to Brown(?) to clinch the win. It’s the play where you saw Ryan throw his headphones to the ground after.

Tomlin was miked for the game, and before the play Arians comes and asks him what he wants to do. What annoyed Swiss was Tomlin saying “call your play, BA.” Rather than calling a play himself, Tomlin let Arians call it. So Arians, being Arians, calls the deep pass to clinch the win.

This doesn’t make Tomlin a potted plant, but his OC’s have a great deal of latitude. It won’t surprise me to see the offense look very different under Fich in terms of philosophy and situational game calling. Why wouldn’t Tomlin intercede with Haley to change things that weren’t working? Dunno, but he let him do his thing and then just let him leave when his contract expired. I expect Fich will be allowed to do what he wants as well.

If it’s the play I’m thinking of, likely is, it wasn’t a long pass. Ben rolled right and hit AB for about 7-8 yards to clinch the game...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:21 pm 

If it is the game I am thinking about it was for 14 yards to Brown. That was another one of those fine examples of that great Dick LeBeau defense. The offense creates a 24-0 lead by halftime and then the defense allows the JETs to come back 24-19. Yeah, that defense ALWAYS carried the offense, where would Ben be without that great defense back in the day? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:39 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
The logic about the pick was PR. All the way.

Are they running a professional sports team or a warm & fuzzy publicity organization?

If getting a feel good story in the local papers is driving draft choices then a house cleaning of all involved needs to happen.

We do what we do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:45 pm 

Obviously wrote:
955876 wrote:
Quote:

Are they running a professional sports team or a warm & fuzzy publicity organization?

If getting a feel good story in the local papers is driving draft choices then a house cleaning of all involved needs to happen.

We do what we do.

You want to fire ownership? They're the ones in the old friends/family/second chances/charity business.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:27 pm 

Scunge wrote:
If it is the game I am thinking about it was for 14 yards to Brown. That was another one of those fine examples of that great Dick LeBeau defense. The offense creates a 24-0 lead by halftime and then the defense allows the JETs to come back 24-19. Yeah, that defense ALWAYS carried the offense, where would Ben be without that great defense back in the day? :lol:

It struck me as being a longer pass than that, but maybe it was just the high pressure situation making it seem longer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 am 

Doesn’t matter what game it was as it really isn’t an apples to apples comparison to what we are discussing.

That is one play. Maybe he liked the way Bruce was calling the game that day and trusted a decent play would be called.

We are talking about a trend occurring over several games and stretches of season. Certainly enough for a HC to notice the predominant trend and work that stuff out with his OC at meetings, film review etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:38 am 

955876 wrote:
Quote:

There is a large portion of the fanbase that is convinced Tomlin only got the job because of the Rooney Rule and the NFL forcing the issue.

If that can be believed so easily by so many (perhaps even you) then why is it unfathomable that they'd honor James Conner by drafting him with the last pick on Day 2 so ESPN can talk him up one more time and the Steelers get the "local kid does good" storyline so many yinzers eat up?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:24 pm 

Scunge wrote:

Defense scored seven of those points and also stopped the Jets inside the five yard line in the second half.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:36 pm 

Scunge wrote:

I was there

That game was OVER at half

But....led by the great Mark Sanchez, the Jets made it a game in the 2nd half

We have been historically bad vs historically bad QBs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next