It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Life after Bell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:15 pm 

I’m ready to move on

Fucking tired of the drama and threats

Here’s an interesting option in the draft

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... ement/amp/

Post subject: Re: Life after Bell
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:32 pm 

Not sure how I feel about Guice over Sony Michel or Ronald Jones... but I could see a scenario where Guice is the best possible pick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:38 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Not sure how I feel about Guice over Sony Michel or Ronald Jones... but I could see a scenario where Guice is the best possible pick.

I like Michel a lot.

I don’t think he makes it to us

I like Guice more than Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:26 pm 

One of the three, Guice, Michel, Jones, is likely to be there. I can’t see four RBs in the first 27 picks...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm 

100% with you on this one Barry. I said it in another thread earlier, I too am tired of all the distractions and bullshit with this guy. He will definitely regret not taking the $60 million deal that was offered to him last year. Give me Sony Michel @1.28 and then pull Bell's tag. Great player, but a huge pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:31 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
One of the three, Guice, Michel, Jones, is likely to be there. I can’t see four RBs in the first 27 picks...

I think there's a pretty good chance that all three of them are there. The only team I would be worried about would be the Lions at pick 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:51 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

I think there's a pretty good chance that all three of them are there. The only team I would be worried about would be the Lions at pick 21

Exactly

Seen Michel mocked to Lions many times

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:57 pm 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

Yeah, could be right...I should’ve said, “at least one”.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

Exactly

Seen Michel mocked to Lions many times

Yeah I've seen the Lions mocked Guice a time or too as well.

I actually think Jones could end up being the best RB in this class. He's got home run speed and he helps out more in the pass game than Guice would.

I'd try and trade Bell to a team that needs RB help like Washington, Seattle, Detriot, or the Colts. All have problems at RB. My question to everyone here is what do you think would be fair compensation for Bell?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:04 pm 

The only way to trade Bell is to give his agent permission to work out a long term deal with someone, then do a sign and trade...not very likely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 pm 

and, even if traded, Bell has to play under the franchise tag this year, unless the Steelers sign him to some other team's deal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:46 pm 

Why on earth would we invest a Rd 1 pick on a RB. No way unless his first name starts with Saquon.

I hate all the RB mentioned above. Michel had holes that you could drive trucks through much of the year. He is also very loose with the football. High fumble rate.

I would take Penny or Ballage in later rounds and spend the capital on D where we need it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:39 pm 

My idea all along in terms of drafting a RB in round 1 is that it gives the Steelers leverage back in many ways.

If they draft Michel or Guice or Jones in round 1 with the 28th pick, then the Steelers truly have an option as the starter in game one of the season.

Bell, knowing that they have a 1st round pick RB ready, is not going to just wait until September 1st to sign his franchise tender like he did last season. And that is a very important crucial point. If Bell does not sign that tender, he is not officially under contract and the Steelers can't trade him. As much as Bell talks about skipping training camp and the preseason it really is all about him waiting until the very last second to sign that tender so as to not make it possible to be traded.

Anyway, with a 1st round pick in hand for the Steelers, Bell and his agent are going to get nervous and will be in a very dangerous game of chicken.

Do they feel like they can wait until September again before signing the tender?

Will the Steelers rescind the tag before he gets the chance to sign it?

In late August will there be any teams willing to give him the contract he is looking for? Especially with it being after the big free agency sweepstakes and most of the money being spent?

Bell might have to settle for a one year deal that is less than that franchise tender.

I think Bell loses this game of chicken, and he signs that franchise tender and reports to camp if the Steelers have a first round rookie RB.

And how is this not SBI? How is it not in the Steelers best interest for this year's run at a Super Bowl and for the next 3 years? Ben wants to play 3 more years, then great here is a 1st round RB who will be with you until you retire.

Bell averaged 4.0 yards a carry and 7.7 yards a catch which are pretty average. He needs to carry the ball less, catch the ball less. He will be more productive with less touches. As it is now, we keep feeding him and feeding him and it is starting to trend downwards, he is becoming less productive. Having a 1-2 punch at RB is a great thing to have. And that rookie RB could be your kick returner.

In terms of fumbling, don't look now, but Bell has fallen back down to earth in terms of fumbling. That was once a great strength of his but not anymore. I see teams using his patient style agains him now with greater frequency.

The past two years, 27 games, Bell has fumbled 7 times, with 3 of them being lost. It could have been worse as two of those fumbles went out of bounds before the defender could scoop it up. Teams are adjusting to Bell's patient running style and I think it also hurts that his speed and quickness are diminishing. So, to use fumbling as a reason to not draft this rookie or that is not really valid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 am 

I agree with everything said, and I wasn’t saying we needed to take a Round 1 RB, moreso that we could exploit a team that needs RB help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 am 

The Steelers have no leverage with Bell. He's being extremely rational - he's making more under the franchise tags, and then he gets top dollar as a FA. Draft a RB and Bell KNOWS he's a FA after this year, so obviously he'll take the $14.5M tag. Don't draft a RB and there's a chance PIT actually tags him a 3rd time for $17.4M.

Bell truly has 0 incentive to sign a long-term deal with PIT right now. Be grateful he didn't sign last year, and pray PIT doesn't tag him a 3rd time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:22 am 

Kodiak, there is no way that Bell will get a 3rd consecutive franchise tag with the Steelers.

He got 120% of last year's salary for this year's tag, so $14.54 million.

Next year it will be 144% of this year's $14.544 million, so it should be $20.943 million. There is no way they are going to pay him $21 million next season. NO WAY.

Drafting a RB in the first round this year is the smart move if ILB and S are positions that go quickly and the value and BPA is there for RB.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:38 am 

So much of this conversation assumes that having a premium RB makes the Steelers better and more likely to win the Super Bowl. I think that just makes it more likely they'll waste time running the football, when they could be pushing it downfield and putting the game in Ben's hands.

The Steelers need some effective RB play, but not as dependent on only one RB (who can get hurt or suspended or demand 3x the highest paycheck). Diversification would help a lot more than another guy who needs to get 25-30 touches per game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 am 

The thing is B2B they've had other decent RB's in the recent past. DWill was always sidelined and Bell was ran till the wheels came off. Why? Why not run by committee like you're suggesting? I agree with your logic running by committee. I think it's what most successful teams are doing. The Steelers for what ever reason want to run a 'bell cow' style running game and as a result there are bad consequences. Like this contract fiasco, in addition to that Injuries start building up with no back up plan. The Steelers haven't been the most savvy handling this running back or running game situation. JMO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 am 

I definitely think that Conner and another all around RB could get the job done as a committee. Conner at times looked more explosive than Bell did last year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

I like Michel a lot.

I don’t think he makes it to us

I like Guice more than Jones

So, essentially replacing Juice with Guice? As an English language professional, I like the way that's lining up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:31 am 

smithessmokin wrote:
I definitely think that Conner and another all around RB could get the job done as a committee. Conner at times looked more explosive than Bell did last year.

I don't trust the steelers to use s committee. They drafted a back in the 3rd rd last year and he barely sniffed the field. If they plan on drafting a rb I'm 1 or 2 they better show bell the door

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 am 

R S wrote:
smithessmokin wrote:

I don't trust the steelers to use s committee. They drafted a back in the 3rd rd last year and he barely sniffed the field. If they plan on drafting a rb I'm 1 or 2 they better show bell the door

I wonder how much of that was Haley, and how much was from higher up. Tomlin's Steelers have admitted to liking to "run the wheels off," going back to Willie Parker. Really does make you wonder about the logic of taking Conner in the 3rd.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 am 

I tend to agree that Haley/Tomlin got too drunk with Bell and Brown to the detriment of everybody else on offense. I want diversification and the ball spread around more.

Those two TDs that FB Rosie Nix scored in the last 3-4 games of the season? I bet those were influenced by Fitchner. I am hopeful that Randy does a better job of scheming players open, of creating mismatches, using misdirection, sleight of hand to open up this offense even more and for us to truly score the points that we are capable of with ALL of the talent that we have.

I think Haley was incredibly lazy and did less with more, was so incredibly underwhelming with some of the best talent in the NFL.

I think Guice would be fine as Bell's replacement. I think this offense would be fine with more of a RB by committee approach like the rest of the NFL is doing. A James White/Duke Johnson type of 3rd down back is available every year in rounds 4-5.

At this point with Bell, I am wondering how many yards are being left on the field because of his 'style'. There is something to be said for having a RB that doesn't dance or get fancy and just hits the hole and is off to the races. Bell has about 25% of his touches, carries/catches, go for 1 yard or less. And it has always been this way with him. That patient style of his can create some nice 10, 15 yard runs but also can result in a run for no gain, or -3 yards. Our offensive line is pretty good and it just makes me wonder how much better the running game would be with a RB who had more explosion and who didn't line up so far behind the line of scrimmage. 7-8 yards back I see Bell lined up, really? That is a lot of real estate you have to cover before you even cross the line for plus yardage. It makes me wonder if there is a better way to crack that nut. Also with Bell lined up so far back, is that maybe one of the reasons that play action has been deemphasized? I see us doing our offense no favors by telegraphing things and making things harder not easier for everybody involved.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:08 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
The only way to trade Bell is to give his agent permission to work out a long term deal with someone, then do a sign and trade...not very likely.

Don't trade him, worst case scenario, RUIN HIS SEASON, don't give him what he wants, fuck him, tell him "sign the tag or retire" then turn your back. I hate that the Steelers released Harrison, I would have purposely made sure I ruined his season, not give him what he wanted.

Fuck these guys, never give them what they want and never be fair to them and never care what they've done for you in the past, NO LOYALTY, Loyalty is for suckers on both sides, I like Bell because he acts like I WOULD, I have no problem with it, I always put myself over my employer. But from the employer side, you need to fuck people up too and never be loyal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 am 

smithessmokin wrote:

That's funny, because I don't think Conner will on the roster in 2019. Very disappointing tape in 2017, to my eye.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next