It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers signing LB Jon Bostic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:04 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Obviously wrote:
So no to Timmons then.

plays a different position

Middle Linebacker, no? Or are we talking weak and strong side?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:06 pm 

Quote:
All due respect to my man FC.....but Bostic is hot garbage. 5th team in 5 years

Also tells you five teams were interested in his talents.

Quote:
Injuries, not production, appear to be the reason for Bostic’s constant movement around the league. A nagging injury during the spring of 2015 contributed to his falling out of favor in Chicago. It was described as a back injury by the Bears, but Bostic explained it was more complex than that in an interview with ESPN in the summer of 2015.

"To be honest, it wasn't even a back injury [that kept me out during the offseason]," Bostic said. "It was more stuff from shin, hip; it just kind of went up in the back. But we were all good once we figured it out. It just took a little while to figure everything out."

Bostic never got a chance to play in 2016 because he was never activated from injured reserve. The foot injury he suffered was a fractured fifth metatarsal, a common football injury, but it did not heal well enough for him to be the player they designated to return from injury that year. The injury, coincidentally, occurred during a joint practice with the Steelers at Saint Vincent College.

Bostic’s best season might have been with the Colts last season. He led the team with 97 tackles, but he was injured in December and missed the final two games of the season.

“I probably haven’t talked enough about Jon Bostic and what he’s done, but Jon Bostic’s been solid,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard told Colts.com in early December before he suffered his season-ending injury. “He’s been a good player for us this year, especially after battling some injuries throughout his career.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/03/18/Steelers-free-agent-linebacker-Jon-Bostic-Ryan-Shazier-Vince-Williams/stories/201803180144

I am not saying Bostic will be Jack Lambert
I am not saying Bostic will be Levon Kirkland
I am not saying Bostic will be James Farrior to this defense.

Bostic can run and make plays.
Bostic is actually solid fundamentally and reads and reacts well.
He is very good against the run and very under rated against the pass because he can run like a fucking antelope

I understand why people are skeptical...I think Bostic may be a big time steal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 pm 

It a good pickup considering who was still left out there. Now if Rudolph drops to 28 we can now draft him

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:28 pm 

FC wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Injuries, not production, appear to be the reason for Bostic’s constant movement around the league. A nagging injury during the spring of 2015 contributed to his falling out of favor in Chicago. It was described as a back injury by the Bears, but Bostic explained it was more complex than that in an interview with ESPN in the summer of 2015.

"To be honest, it wasn't even a back injury [that kept me out during the offseason]," Bostic said. "It was more stuff from shin, hip; it just kind of went up in the back. But we were all good once we figured it out. It just took a little while to figure everything out."

Bostic never got a chance to play in 2016 because he was never activated from injured reserve. The foot injury he suffered was a fractured fifth metatarsal, a common football injury, but it did not heal well enough for him to be the player they designated to return from injury that year. The injury, coincidentally, occurred during a joint practice with the Steelers at Saint Vincent College.

Bostic’s best season might have been with the Colts last season. He led the team with 97 tackles, but he was injured in December and missed the final two games of the season.

“I probably haven’t talked enough about Jon Bostic and what he’s done, but Jon Bostic’s been solid,” Colts general manager Chris Ballard told Colts.com in early December before he suffered his season-ending injury. “He’s been a good player for us this year, especially after battling some injuries throughout his career.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/03/18/Steelers-free-agent-linebacker-Jon-Bostic-Ryan-Shazier-Vince-Williams/stories/201803180144

He is very good against the run and very under rated against the pass because he can run like a fucking antelope

All things considered, I think he's a perfect signing-- which was my initial reaction. I don't know if he'll be healthy and good, but if he is, fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:34 pm 

FC wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

i know you werent saying hes an all pro FC, i get it. Hes an improvemnt for sure on what he have, im leery because 5 teams thought they could make a good productive LB out of him and none could and decided so rather quickly. Im at least somewhat optimistic that you see something in him, i think hes a solid backup to our starting MACK whoever that may be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 pm 

Several things....

That fifth metatarsal injury takes a while to completely heal from and sounds like he had some complications during recovery. Injury occurred during the Aug. '16 joint practice with us and Lions, so KC and Tomlin have had an extended look at him. Jim Caldwell was his coach and he and Tomlin are like brothers, so I'm sure Tomlin and KC - with his Detroit connection - has plenty of intel on the player.

Bostic is also very familiar with playing in the 3-4, and our scheme particularly. When healthy, he's a very good, safe fit. Add in the fact that he's cheap, and he ticks off all of the boxes our FO is looking for.

There's always many more pieces to the puzzle than most fans even realize.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:01 pm 

The Steelers were always going to sign a starting caliber ILB in free agency. Bostic fills that.
The Steelers are going to sign a starting caliber S in FA, even if it is Mike Mitchell.
The Steelers will draft an ILB and S early to compete for those jobs.
Wake me when something out of the ordinary happens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:02 pm 

It a good pickup considering who was still left out there. Now if Rudolph drops to 28 we can now draft him

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:21 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:

Sorry... but no offense to Jim Wexell or to you— but that’s the stupidest idea of all time... and I kind of like Rudolph. That is a break not only my TV but several other home furnishings kind of a pick.

I would rather draft a TE or a Guard or a WR or Nose Tackle, because they would do more for our chances of winning a Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

Sorry... but no offense to Jim Wexell or to you— but that’s the stupidest idea of all time... and I kind of like Rudolph. That is a break not only my TV but several other home furnishings kind of a pick.

I would rather draft a TE or a Guard or a WR or Nose Tackle, because they would do more for our chances of winning a Super Bowl.

if we draft mason motherf*****ing rudolph at #28, i will lose my shit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:

This blows my mind. Why would you want to draft someone(in round 1) that will not see the field for two years when you have about a 2 year window with a Super Bowl caliber team?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 pm 

Just throwing out a name in case their picks are gone. I would look at Warner in round 2 and look for the Steelers to add a FA Safety next and take a safety in round 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 pm 

My pick in the 1st if it isnt a safety or ilb is CB Jaire Alexander.
I like Rudolph, if he would be there in the 2nd I'd like the pick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:23 pm 

I am curious to see if the Steelers have any visits lined up this week

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:33 pm 

This may not be a bad signing. Like many of you I question the fact that he is working on his 5th team now. But this is really a classic Colbert free agent signing.

Former high draft pick? Check, 2nd rounder by Chicago.

Former Detroit Lion? Check.

Has experience starting? Check. 32 games even with all of the downtime to injuries.

Affordable? Check. There has been some crazy money given out to ILBs this offseason but I imagine we might have given him a 2 year, $6 million deal like the one we gave Tyson Alualu. Art Moats was signed for 3 years and $7.5 million. I think that $2.5-3 million per season average is what Bostic will see.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:38 am 

I like the roll of the dice with this guy. If he's healthy he should be at least solid if not better. If he's injured again, it shouldn't be a huge impact to the cap. We're at the bottom of the barrel in free agency. Might as well gamble on someone with talent. At least the training staff is experienced with talented guys that can't stay on the field.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:28 am 

Health is relative in the NFL. This guy hasn't been able to stay healthy in the several years he's been in the league. Why the Steelers and fans think this guy will contribute even marginally is baffling to me. Hell of a gamble regarding his signing. I'm reminded of Ladarius Green for some reason. We'll see if Bostic passes his physical. I realize that after the horrific situation unfolded with Shazier, Matakevich and Spence both failed miserably. With Matakevich being injured in the same game as Shazier, at least Spence actually played beyond 1 game. The Steelers having nobody they can count on backs them into this corner. Entering free agency the Steelers have less money than most teams, so this is the cost of doing business. Will Bostic magically stay healthy? Stay tuned.
Some film break down in the link below...
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018 ... c-defense/

Last edited by Steelafan77 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:38 am 

Can someone please explain why the NFL isn’t granting/didn’t grant us an exemption for Shazier?

Has this ever even been discussed so we can learn the NFL’s reasoning?

Totally sucks the NFL has hamstrung the Steelers this way...you would have thought the good PR move would have been to give us the exemption and been extremely public about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:50 am 

he is already our 2nd best ilb on this team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 am 

steelmann58 wrote:

he's better than VW if he's healthy, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:28 am 

R S wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

he's better than VW if he's healthy, in my opinion.

different position and i think you're underestimating how good of a season VW had

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 pm 

They are both middling ILBs. VW had an impressive amount of sacks though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Can someone please explain why the NFL isn’t granting/didn’t grant us an exemption for Shazier?

Totally sucks the NFL has hamstrung the Steelers this way...you would have thought the good PR move would have been to give us the exemption and been extremely public about it.

One has to wonder.

Has Art “thank you sir may I have another” Rooney lobbied the league at all for this?

How does the rule read?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:23 pm 

955876 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

One has to wonder.

Has Art “thank you sir may I have another” Rooney lobbied the league at all for this?

How does the rule read?

I've said it several times, now. The Steelers exercised Shazier's 5th year option last April. Meaning, his full $8.718M salary was covered for injury, just like any other players' would be. They can release him, but his salary is still fully covered, so what's the sense, as they're paying to see if he can recover or not and showing belief/support in a player they love in the process. I have yet to see anything anywhere that states he warrants some special exception, salary wise. He will get some form of roster exemption per KC's combine comments, but not sure what list he will be on exactly. My understanding is he will count as part of the 90 going into camp, meaning we will really only have 89 players available....disadvantage us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm 

DP39 wrote:
955876 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

One has to wonder.

How does the rule read?

I've said it several times, now. The Steelers exercised Shazier's 5th year option last April. Meaning, his full $8.718M salary was covered for injury, just like any other players' would be. They can release him, but his salary is still fully covered, so what's the sense, as they're paying to see if he can recover or not and showing belief/support in a player they love in the process. I have yet to see anything anywhere that states he warrants some special exception, salary wise. He will get some form of roster exemption per KC's combine comments, but not sure what list he will be on exactly. My understanding is he will count as part of the 90 going into camp, meaning we will really only have 89 players available....disadvantage us.

I thought I remember reading when this first started that there was an exemption list he could have qualified for where his salary didn’t count against the cap.

I could be wrong.

Personally, I think it would be the right thing to do PR-wise...reward teams for doing what the Steelers are doing.

Last edited by Jeemie on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.