It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most Inactive in Free Agency
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:56 pm 

Steelers and Cowboys are the most inactive in free agency with 0 signings. Colbert might nibble next week if he can find an affordable Safety. Pray to the football god that it's not Wiffle Mitchell. Maybe draft Jessie Bates at 60 if he's still around.

Last edited by Steelergenie on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Most Inactive in Free Agency
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:02 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
Steelers and Cowboys are the most inactive in free agency with 0 signings. Colbert might nibble next week if he can find an affordable Safety.

To be honest, Colbert quenched my thirst for a quality signing inking Touissant..

Anything else moving forward is gravy.

Pumped

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:01 pm 

This team doesn’t need to improve. 13-3 tells them that.

They were just unlucky.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:05 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:
Steelers and Cowboys are the most inactive in free agency with 0 signings. Colbert might nibble next week if he can find an affordable Safety.

To be honest, Colbert quenched my thirst for a quality signing inking Touissant..

Pumped

Don’t forget about that sweet 4 year extension for Rosie Nix! I mean if a back field of Rosie and Frenchy doesn’t have you salivating over the match up nightmares they will create, then there’s no hope for you ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:08 pm 

Quality and depth at ILB and safety is utter shit.

I wonder Colbert does not work out a trade for Mychal Kendricks.

955876 wrote:

They were just unlucky.

I assume you’re not so stupid as to believe they really think this in actuality.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:25 pm 

Pretty unique situation we're in using over $14 million for a franchise tag for a tremendous RB and close to $9 million on a player that should never play again.

Anyone that thought we were going to be players in FA... I don't know what to tell you other than sorry. This team has two holes: ILB and S. The rest of the roster is set. Gotta trust they'll figure those two spots out before next season and work on improving our depth.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:50 pm 

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:

Pumped

Don’t forget about that sweet 4 year extension for Rosie Nix! I mean if a back field of Rosie and Frenchy doesn’t have you salivating over the match up nightmares they will create, then there’s no hope for you ;)

Ha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:54 pm 

955876 wrote:

They were just unlucky.

Had to laugh at this one. 95 has the sarca down... :lol:

TB wrote:
Pretty unique situation we're in using over $14 million for a franchise tag for a tremendous RB and close to $9 million on a player that should never play again.

Anyone that thought we were going to be players in FA... I don't know what to tell you other than sorry. This team has two holes: ILB and S. The rest of the roster is set. Gotta trust they'll figure those two spots out before next season and work on improving our depth.

Bu, bu, bu, but he is seen on instagram working out in the Steelers facility doing pull ups man...

The Steelers need depth everywhere. WR, Edge, DLine, OLine, ST's.... all need depth players..., especially at RB.

Last edited by Steelafan77 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:56 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Quality and depth at ILB and safety is utter shit.

I wonder Colbert does not work out a trade for Mychal Kendricks.

955876 wrote:

They were just unlucky.

I assume you’re not so stupid as to believe they really think this in actuality.

And I’d assume you’re not so stupid as to not recognize the sarcasm.

No I don’t believe they actually think this in a literal sense.

At the same time, I don’t believe they feel the same sense of urgency as one would expect of a team who’s window is closing as quick as ours is.

Do what we do & standards and all. Business as usual.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:09 pm 

TB wrote:

I agree with this post. FWIW finding an LB and S that fits within our pricing structure means we are probably looking towards post-draft or post-June 1 cuts to fill in what we need. We are $14 million under the cap with a team that's 86% set- the Cowboys are 608k under with more questions than answers. I like where we are- even though we didn't get that Honey Badger action figure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:11 pm 

TB wrote:

I still can’t believe the NFL isn’t granting us that exemption for Shazier.

Total dick move.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:20 pm 

I don't see the problem. Yeah, we have a need for an ILB and a S, and we have a 1st and 2nd round pick in the 2018 draft, so problem solved.

All of these names being thrown out in free agency, these players that people want the Steelers to sign are all bums. You want to overpay for an ILB who is not much better than Sean Spence? Really? Just because you give $6,7, 9 million per year to a free agent ILB does not automatically make that player great. It just makes you look foolish.

Same with the safeties.

People laugh that we have brought in Slater from NE for a look see. If their plan was to cut Golden and bring in an elite special teams player who might also make Bey expendable then I am down for that. That would be a great signing and more valuable than overpaying for a crappy safety or ILB.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:31 pm 

this team is built to win now, im not at all excited at the prospects of a bottom of the 1st and 2nd rnd ilb and safety becoming instant starters..that sound you hear is that of our championship window slamming shut.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:11 pm 

GreekSteel, tell me, how would we have made the playoffs last year without that bottom of the first round OLB and bottom of the 2nd round WR?

That sound you hear is people bedwetting for no good reason. People need to get over themselves. 1st and 2nd round rookies are able to come in and play well from day one and they have always been able to do so. The Steelers have gotten great production from their high draft picks the past two seasons and it will only continue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:58 pm 

Scunge wrote:
GreekSteel, tell me, how would we have made the playoffs last year without that bottom of the first round OLB and bottom of the 2nd round WR?

That sound you hear is people bedwetting for no good reason. People need to get over themselves. 1st and 2nd round rookies are able to come in and play well from day one and they have always been able to do so. The Steelers have gotten great production from their high draft picks the past two seasons and it will only continue.

You're assuming we nail our 1st two picks like that again. Odds are against that. There are plenty of Jarvis Jones, Bud Duprees, and Golsons in our past as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:18 pm 

Beating that old drum, franco32?

Yeah, no team hits on all of their picks, especially their top two picks, rounds 1 and 2 but the Steelers have been on something of a roll the past 8 seasons.

2010 1st Maurkice Pouncey, 2nd Jason Worilds
2011 1st Cam Heyward, 2nd Marcus Gilbert
2012 1st David DeCastro, 2nd Mike Adams
2013 1st Jarvis Jones, 2nd Leveon Bell
2014 1st Ryan Shazier, 2nd Stephon Tuitt
2015 1st Bud Dupree, 2nd Senquez Golson
2016 1st Artie Burns, 2nd Sean Davis
2017 1st TJ Watt, 2nd JuJu Smith-Schuster
2018 1st ????????, 2nd ?????????

So, this decade we have seen 8 first rounders and 8 second rounders and I only see 3 busts, Mike Adams, Jarvis Jones and Senquez Golson. Dupree can't be put in that category, come on. Yeah, Worilds finding religion and Shazier getting injured does not mitigate the fact that they were good/great picks.

So, 3 out of 16 premium picks turned out bad, which is only an 18% failure rate. So, 82% of those picks turned out to be starters, some Pro Bowlers, even All Pros. I like my chances of Colbert and company being able to spend a 1st and 2nd on an ILB and S in this draft and for both to start and do well as rookies. Call me crazy but history is on my side, just look at what they have done the past 8 years. But hey, for you others feel free to carry on with your gloom and doom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:17 pm 

Having to eat the cap hit for an injured player is BS. I could see it if there were questions about the injury but damn, the guy was almost crippled. How can there not be cap relief for that? Won't insurance cover most of his salary anyway?

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:27 pm 

Scunge

I think you are being generous. Worilds took four years to develop and still was nothing special in year 4 and 5. I don't consider that a "hit". As for Dupree, he's been pretty awful. I'm not going to rehash all his failures, but he's a huge disappointment and definitely not an impact player of any sort.

The jury is still out on Burns and Davis after pretty bad sophomore campaigns. So, as I write this, I think we nailed 9 of those 16. Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt on Burns and Davis, it means they've hit on roughly 68% of their recent first and second round picks.

My point is that it is hardly a sure thing to hit on 2 rookies in the first and second rounds AND expect them to contribute right away which we need with Ben's window almost closed.

I get that the Bell and Shazier money is killing us. But, ILB and safety is a dumpster fire right now, and I'm not sure that the draft will save us. After all, there is no guarantee the guys we like will be at our spots. There could be a run on S or ILB. It's a huge gamble with Sean Spence waiting in the wings.