It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eric Reid
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:02 am 

Scunge wrote:
Not really impressed with him as a player.

I would rather the Steelers draft his brother Justin Reid. I think he has a better NFL career.

Agree. Reid is JAG.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:01 pm 

R S wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Not really impressed with him as a player.

I would rather the Steelers draft his brother Justin Reid. I think he has a better NFL career.

Agree. Reid is JAG.

might be a jag but hed be a major improvement for us at safety plus you could use him as a dime LBer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 pm 

Justin Reid says he's visiting Pittsburgh. No more protests for Eric.

Eric Reid says he doesn't plan to protest during anthem, will take 'different approach'

ESPN News

STANFORD, Calif. -- Free-agent safety Eric Reid says he is not planning to protest during the national anthem this upcoming season.

Reid has been among the NFL's most visible protesters since former San Francisco 49ers teammate Colin Kaepernick decided not to stand for the national anthem in 2016.

Reid continued the protest of racial injustice and police brutality against minorities by kneeling during the anthem last season as Kaepernick was unable to find a job. But Reid said he would take a different approach in 2018.

"We understand you have to change with the times," he said after watching his brother, Justin, take part in his pro day at Stanford.

"I'm not saying I'm going to stop being active because I won't. I'm just going to consider different ways to be active, different ways to bring awareness to the issues of this country and improve on the issues happening in this country. I don't think it will be in the form of protesting during the anthem. I say 'during' because it's crazy that the narrative changed to we were protesting the anthem and that wasn't the case. I think we're going to take a different approach to how we're going to be active."

Reid: I'm still unsigned because of protests

Free-agent safety Eric Reid, who played the past five seasons with the 49ers, says that his kneeling during the national anthem has kept him from securing any offers from other teams.

Free-agent safety Eric Reid remains on the open market because he has been outspoken when it comes to his activism, Patriots defensive back Devin McCourty says.

Reid has not received any contract offers more than a week into free agency despite a record of strong play on the field and versatility that many teams usually covet. Last week, Reid said that his protests are the reason he was not signed -- implying in a tweet that teams' ownership is keeping offers away.

San Francisco general manager John Lynch said the team is monitoring the market for Reid, but the Niners are mostly set at safety with Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward and Adrian Colbert under contract.

Reid said his agent has heard from a "couple" of teams but money hasn't been discussed and he is still awaiting an opportunity. Reid has said that he understands his activism could affect his employment, especially after watching Kaepernick go unsigned for more than a year.

"I said before, I stand by what I've done," he said. "I know why I've done it. My faith in God is the reason. I can go to sleep at night confident that I did what I was taught to do. I'm just going to stay positive, keep training, keep staying in shape and we'll see what happens."

Reid was a first-round pick by the 49ers in 2013 and made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. He has been a strong player throughout his career, playing strong safety, free safety and even some linebacker last season when San Francisco was short-handed at the position.

He has 10 interceptions and 36 passes defensed in 70 career games.

"Eric played and played well for us last year," Lynch said. "I think he's kind of stuck in a safety market that's been quiet. I would anticipate things starting to shake for him. We'll see."

While Eric Reid looks for a team, he spent Thursday helping his brother prepare for his pro day. Justin Reid is considered one of the top safeties eligible for the draft and probably will be picked within the first two days of next month's draft.

Justin Reid says he has visits planned with Minnesota, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Seattle and Carolina. He also met with 29 teams at the combine but said no one has asked him about his brother or if he would protest during the anthem.

Justin Reid said he was prepared for those questions if they came and that he wouldn't protest.

"We each have our own beliefs," he said. "He felt like that's what he needed to do. I have my own ways that I feel like I'm going to go about it. I'm not as much of a vocal person in that situation. I don't really like drama. I don't want to deal with that."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 pm 

Quote:
San Francisco general manager John Lynch said the team is monitoring the market for Reid, but the Niners are mostly set at safety with Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward and Adrian Colbert under contract.

3 B2B Directional guys

The 49ers are one of the most B2B teams in the league:

DeAndre Carter, Zane Beadles, McKinnon, Joe Williams, Taumoepenu, Elijah Lee, Brock Coyle, Attaochu, Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward, Adrian Colbert, Dontae Johnson, Asa Jackson... and they recently traded Rashard Robinson. I think SF and B2B are on the same page with Safeties, OB LBs, CBs, and RBs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:05 am 

So passionate it really means something,,,,, ummmm I wont do again if someone pays me.
What a joke.
F him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:26 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:

3 B2B Directional guys

The 49ers are one of the most B2B teams in the league:

DeAndre Carter, Zane Beadles, McKinnon, Joe Williams, Taumoepenu, Elijah Lee, Brock Coyle, Attaochu, Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward, Adrian Colbert, Dontae Johnson, Asa Jackson... and they recently traded Rashard Robinson. I think SF and B2B are on the same page with Safeties, OB LBs, CBs, and RBs.

Kinda like this guy....The Grambling safety, Montrel Meander, really lit it up today. He measured about 6-feet-2-inches and 208 pounds, timed 4.42s in the forty, touched 37.5 inches in the vertical jump and reached 10-feet-4-inches in the broad jump. Meander is being compared to former Hurricane Adrian Colbert, the seventh round pick of the San Francisco 49ers who turned out to be a steal for the franchise. I'm sure he's made your B2B Directional list already... :D
Somebody please let KC and Tomlin in on the secret. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:56 am 

Reid is a DNS [do not sign] and will end up staying in San Francisco.

This may be cause for concern. As we all know the court of public opinion likely already deliberated and unanimously chose guilty anyway. Steelers won't touch this guy.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/s ... 1049515467

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:44 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Reid is a DNS [do not sign] and will end up staying in San Francisco.

This may be cause for concern. As we all know the court of public opinion likely already deliberated and unanimously chose guilty anyway. Steelers won't touch this guy.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/s ... 1049515467

What a mess. Regardless of whether there was a crime, the court case and damage from it will probably never go away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 am 

Very decent chance we sign Reid.
Justin Reid that is. I'm starting to think all 4 ILB's will be off the baord by the time we pick.
The FO is in love with Justin Reid. Met with him at the Combine, took him out to dinner during the pro day and has
a SouthSide visit scheduled with him.
We very well could be looking at our starting FS by the middle of the year (if not earlier).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:49 am 

steelheels wrote:
Justin Reid that is. I'm starting to think all 4 ILB's will be off the baord by the time we pick.
The FO is in love with Justin Reid. Met with him at the Combine, took him out to dinner during the pro day and has
We very well could be looking at our starting FS by the middle of the year (if not earlier).

Neither Colbert nor Tomlin were at his pro day... how did they take him out to dinner?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelheels wrote:

Neither Colbert nor Tomlin were at his pro day... how did they take him out to dinner?

Skype and Amex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:32 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
steelheels wrote:

aah...you're right. got that mixed up with the Bates guy from WFU.
either way, he is a serious contender at 1.28 - no?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm 

steelheels wrote:

That assumed they either drafted Sean Davis in the 2nd round two years ago or signed Morgan Burnett last week to warm the bench. Aside from depth, I'm thinking they may consider the safety position addressed. I don't think they feel the same way about ILB, but I'm really beginning to get a vibe that RB/WR/TE is going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. Hell, it could even be Rudolph in the first. At this point, I'd give Rudolph better odds than a safety.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:22 pm 

Ice wrote:
steelheels wrote:

That assumed they either drafted Sean Davis in the 2nd round two years ago or signed Morgan Burnett last week to warm the bench. Aside from depth, I'm thinking they may consider the safety position addressed. I don't think they feel the same way about ILB, but I'm really beginning to get a vibe that RB/WR/TE is going to be a 1st or 2nd round pick. Hell, it could even be Rudolph in the first. At this point, I'd give Rudolph better odds than a safety.

I don't think they're sold on Davis at any safety position. Other than the fact he is a high character guy and hard worker, I don't think he's shown that he fits anywhere in the secondary. He is a man without a position, unless he takes a big leap forward this year. I will be un-shocked if Davis becomes the 3rd safety, a la Golden, or the dime backer Will Gay position... somewhere before the middle of this season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 pm 

God, that would be a waste of draft capital, both the 2nd on Davis to be the new Golden (was actually, based on what I'd seen in Big Ten play, really surprised we took him in the 2nd, anyway, though positive about the position being addressed), and another day 1 or 2 pick on his "replacement."

The way I read the coffee grounds was that signing Burnett said "let's move Davis to FS (2nd) and keep Sutton (3rd) at boundary where he belongs, and see how that works out."

Investing this many high picks in safety, if it continues into this year, along with the rare FA signing, is starting to look a lot like the OLB Quest of the previous several drafts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:29 pm 

Ice wrote:
God, that would be a waste of draft capital, both the 2nd on Davis to be the new Golden (was actually, based on what I'd seen in Big Ten play, really surprised we took him in the 2nd, anyway, though positive about the position being addressed), and another day 1 or 2 pick on his "replacement."

I think Davis has some talent, and I can't say enough about his football character-- he just has flaws at any position in the secondary. "Tweener" is the word that comes to mind.

Both Davis and Burns could improve. Burns, especially, is all about mental errors. Fix those and he'd be good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 pm 

Burns says he knows he has CTE. Your not going to fix his head B2B. A Mr. Softee Bobblehead.

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:

I think Davis has some talent, and I can't say enough about his football character-- he just has flaws at any position in the secondary. "Tweener" is the word that comes to mind.

Both Davis and Burns could improve. Burns, especially, is all about mental errors. Fix those and he'd be good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 pm 

I mean, I "had my bell ring" an awful lot of times playing fullback and safety in high school, middle school and pee wee. I pretty freely admit, to pretty much anyone who asks, I've probably suffered my share of concussions. Artie Burns has played more football than me. If he's asked a question about CTE, it's probably an honest answer to say yeah, I've probably got it. Nothing wrong with being self aware in a dangerous profession.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:30 am 

He should retire Ice. What good is a CB that avoids tackeling and contact.

Ice wrote:
I mean, I "had my bell ring" an awful lot of times playing fullback and safety in high school, middle school and pee wee. I pretty freely admit, to pretty much anyone who asks, I've probably suffered my share of concussions. Artie Burns has played more football than me. If he's asked a question about CTE, it's probably an honest answer to say yeah, I've probably got it. Nothing wrong with being self aware in a dangerous profession.