It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm 

I missed have missed something, did Tomlin make some sort of outlandish comment about Bell and/or his worth?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:13 pm 

Wow Ice...that is really stretching things.

He said that to Bettis...in 1996...Bettis’ FIRST YEAR HERE.

He didn’t say that in a contract year!

And it’s nowhere close to what Tomlin said to Bell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:25 pm 

Read earlier posts.

GreekSteel wrote:
I missed have missed something, did Tomlin make some sort of outlandish comment about Bell and/or his worth?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:29 pm 

Holding this against Tomlin is classic nitpicking. I would hope Bell is smart to realize it was a form of flattery and not meant to be taken literally. This will have next to 0 impact on contract negotiations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
Holding this against Tomlin is classic nitpicking. I would hope Bell is smart to realize it was a form of flattery and not meant to be taken literally. This will have next to 0 impact on contract negotiations.

This. Coaches do this all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Cowher was 100X the leader Tomlin pretends to be.

Now that's some fine hyperbole. I'm willing to say it makes you at least 3.7 times the hyperbolator that Mike Tomlin pretends to be.

Like I said, agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:14 pm 

I liken it to the way directors talk to talent on a hollywood set.

Director to Actor: Take whatever time you need... I love what you do and this movie is going to show everyone what a star you are!
Director to Producer: WTF is up with this chump? Totally unprepared! I can't work with this. Taking forever and putting us behind schedule!
Producer to Agent: We are having some issues-- is the Actor unhappy with us? Can I do anything to make it better for him?
Agent to Actor: Dude. What are you doing... they're totally ready to fire you!!!

The Producer or Director might bring up that the actor has an inflated view of his worth in contract negotiations, but they're sure as hell not doing it to the talent's face.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Wow Ice...that is really stretching things.

He said that to Bettis...in 1996...Bettis’ FIRST YEAR HERE.

He didn’t say that in a contract year!

And it’s nowhere close to what Tomlin said to Bell.

I don't think it matters when it was said, honestly. It's a coach pumping his player up.

Cowher and Bettis may have had a slightly different verbal shorthand than Tomlin does with Bell, but the sentiment implied about the player is pretty similar. "I'm going to keep you here for a long time" to a professional football player pretty much implies that the necessary money will be there. The difference between that and "blank check," or whatever, is basically semantics, unless you really, really want to make something out of not very much.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Ice wrote:
Cowher telling Bettis "This is your f***ing city, I'm going to keep you here for a while" is on about 1,000 NFLN special productions. It's about the same level of hyperbole, if not a little higher, than you are accusing Tomlin of. If you don't remember Hines' antics, well, I'd have to guess you're being a little selective. Have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Bettis wasn't a hold out. And didn't hold out. Big fucking difference, wouldn't you agree?

Cowher called up Hines and got him in camp. Cowher was 100X the leader Tomlin pretends to be.

Hines was....

- A team leader
- As much of a team-first player you will find at the WR position

He also was...

- Not the best WR in the league
- Not a generational player
- Not as much of a diva as Bell (not saying he wasn't a diva, just not as much of one)

So comparing the two situations doesn't really hold water.

I will say this, Colbert and Cowher put together a special group of selfless players.

- Aaron Smith
- Casey Hampton
- Kimo Von Olhoffen
- Brett Keisel
- James Farrior
- Larry Foote
- Ike Taylor
- Troy Polamalu
- Jerome Bettis
- Jeff Hartings
- Marvel Smith
- Willie Parker
- Hines Ward
- Dan Kreider
- Heath Miller

Even guys that were more outspoken like Porter and Faneca were team leaders, though Faneca tarnished his reputation in 2007.

I've supported Tomlin, and I continue to do so, but we won championships because of the guys in that locker room. They had some superstars... Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, James Harrison, to name a few. But the team consisted mostly of very good to solid football players who played well as a team and were singularly focused on winning championships. They were fun to root for, too.

I look at the team now... I don't see that level of cohesiveness and selflessness. Tomlin hasn't been able to coheres them to cohere, as Ron might say. I don't know if that's just what the league has turned into -- though I suspect it might be. One thing I do know, this team needs more James Farriors, Aaron Smiths, and Jerome Bettises than it has right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6