It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4519
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
burghboy wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I swear, either the lot of you have never managed people in your life or your managing skills are highly questionable. It may be that Bell needs a father figure to set him straight, and it may be that he needs someone to believe in him, and it may well be that he needs both and not necessarily from the same person.


I would NEVER go to an employee and tell them "if it were up to me, I'd give you a blank check" or anything that encourages them to demand a raise or find a better offer elsewhere. That's called shooting yourself in the foot.

Nothing wrong with telling Bell you believe in him or however you let him know. But there are WRONG ways to do it, and Dumblin chose the wrong way.

It's also really stupid because everyone knows Tomlin DOES have a role in these negotiations. He does have the ear of Colbert, so when he says "I'd give you a blank check", that's a HORRIBLE negotiating tactic....unless you're Bell or his agent.


I agree with this 100 percent. There is a huge chasm between encouraging and building someone up and going to the lengths Tomlin supposedly reached for with his blank check BS. It's not hard to encourage people without telling them they are the best thing since sliced bread, most of us do it on the daily. Homie needs to read the room a bit better in this instance his audience wasn't ready for that level of hyperbole.


If we're admitting it's hyperbole, then the point (absent of furthering an existing agenda) of getting pissed off about it is, what, exactly?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11040
Ice wrote:
If we're admitting it's hyperbole, then the point (absent of furthering an existing agenda) of getting pissed off about it is, what, exactly?


Aside from more evidence Tomlin isn't good at his job, I'm not sure what your point is.

Telling someone you'd give them a blank check is how you HANDLE someone, and not how you manage someone. There is nothing about that statement that reflects well on Tomlin. But nuthuggers gonna nuthug....

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4519
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Kodiak wrote:
Aside from more evidence Tomlin isn't good at his job, I'm not sure what your point is.


The agenda to which I was referring. Cowher once said almost exactly the same thing to Jerome Bettis, for instance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 629
If Bell doesn't shut his yap, I can envision the franchise tag being recinded and a couple of free agents signed. There are a number of free agent running backs around with production equal to Bell's. Save the $14m and sign a RB plus a WR for half the money.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11040
Ice wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Aside from more evidence Tomlin isn't good at his job, I'm not sure what your point is.


The agenda to which I was referring. Cowher once said almost exactly the same thing to Jerome Bettis, for instance.


Funny, I don't remember Bettis holding out or turning down a contract offer...

Like I said, you're ignoring how Cowher handled this with Hines Ward. Hines Ward came to camp. Stop making excuses for Tomlin - being a buddy is not being a leader or coach.

There's no agenda - just pointing out facts. Where's your link of Cowher telling holdouts he'd give them a blank check? Yeah, when you write it plainly and simply it sounds really fucking stupid (because it is).

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Last edited by Kodiak on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22970
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Fraudlin’s responsibility lies with the team, not any individual player. Bell’s conduct over the years has been really selfish, me first, make a rap song, yada yada. One week he sounds like a great teammate, the next week he sounds like a dickbag.

It’s no mystery that I don’t like Fraudlin’s coaching style. I don’t like that he seems to defer to the players “Le’veon Is gonna be Le’veon”. He needs to be less of the “cool parent” to these guys.

What if it's in the interest of the team to make his insecure RB feel like the Coach believes in him 100%.

I swear, either the lot of you have never managed people in your life or your managing skills are highly questionable. It may be that Bell needs a father figure to set him straight, and it may be that he needs someone to believe in him, and it may well be that he needs both and not necessarily from the same person.


B2B...please...that was not a display of good management skills by Mike Tomlin.

Plenty of other ways to encourage Bell other than feeding into his over-estimation of his own worth.

The Eagles and Patriots reached the Super Bowl paying a stable of six running backs a total of about $4 million and got comparable production. Bell’s a very good player, but it’s not a team-breaker if he walks.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11040
Jeemie wrote:
B2B...please...that was not a display of good management skills by Mike Tomlin.


Your problem is that you're being objective. When you realize Tomlin can do no wrong and isn't accountable for anything....well, forget anything you know about management and just simply admire Mike Tomlin.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4519
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Kodiak wrote:
Ice wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Aside from more evidence Tomlin isn't good at his job, I'm not sure what your point is.


The agenda to which I was referring. Cowher once said almost exactly the same thing to Jerome Bettis, for instance.


Funny, I don't remember Bettis holding out or turning down a contract offer...

Like I said, you're ignoring how Cowher handled this with Hines Ward. Hines Ward came to camp. Stop making excuses for Tomlin - being a buddy is not being a leader or coach.

There's no agenda - just pointing out facts. Where's your link of Cowher telling holdouts he'd give them a blank check? Yeah, when you write it plainly and simply it sounds really fucking stupid (because it is).


Cowher telling Bettis "This is your f***ing city, I'm going to keep you here for a while" is on about 1,000 NFLN special productions. It's about the same level of hyperbole, if not a little higher, than you are accusing Tomlin of. If you don't remember Hines' antics, well, I'd have to guess you're being a little selective. Have to agree to disagree, I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11040
Ice wrote:
Cowher telling Bettis "This is your f***ing city, I'm going to keep you here for a while" is on about 1,000 NFLN special productions. It's about the same level of hyperbole, if not a little higher, than you are accusing Tomlin of. If you don't remember Hines' antics, well, I'd have to guess you're being a little selective. Have to agree to disagree, I guess.


Bettis wasn't a hold out. And didn't hold out. Big fucking difference, wouldn't you agree?

Cowher called up Hines and got him in camp. Cowher was 100X the leader Tomlin pretends to be.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bell to be tagged tomorrow
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5127
I am hoping that re-structuring Tuit and Decastro
And then re-structring AB.
Releasing Gay,
And maybe Mitchell and Wilcox.
With Ben a possible extension - redcution in 2018 cap hit....................


Is not all to help fit a new contract for Bell.

Trade him to Cleveland for some of their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

The Browns have the first pick of the 2nd round ( 33 ) third pick of 2nd round ( 35 ) and last pick in round 2 ( 64 )
And they have the first pick in the 3rd round ( 65 )
And 1st pick of 4th round ( 101 ) 23rd pick of 4th round ( 123 )
And 1st pick of 5th round ( 138 )



Holly crap.

1 ( 1 )
1 ( 4 )
2 ( 33 )
2 ( 35 )
2 ( 64 )
3 ( 65 )
4 ( 101 )
4 ( 123 )
5 ( 138 )

Nine of first 138 picks.

I will take picks 33 and 64 for Bell.
Or 35 and 65

Would they trade that away for Bell?
Do not under estimate a team that would love to grab Bell to play against the Steelers twice a year with a chance for both the Browns and Bell to stick it to the Steelers.
Of course Bell would have to work out a long term deal with the Browns, but the Browns have loads of Cash and Bell wants loads of cash.

How about picks 33 and 101 for Bell.
Or 64 and 65.

Draft a Sony Michel with one of those picks and spend the $14.5 million on a safety, ILB, 4th WR and vet RB

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group