It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Timmons to be released
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:19 am 

Good post as usual Scunge. The only question that I have is does he still have the desire to play at a high level now. At Miami, his head and heart didn't seem to be in the game anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 am 

I think he really found out how much he missed being a Steeler, just like Willie Gay, Larry Foote, Bryant McFadden, etc. Also I don't know if we will ever know the whole story concerning his suspension, being AWOL from the team, etc. I look at that as just a forgettable anomaly in an otherwise fine career. He never missed any significant time with us, had a very long streak of games started, never had to worry about him saying crap in the media or doing things to stir the pot.

Some people I have always thought just never liked him because he was not this or that. Was not Darrell Revis, was not Patrick Willis. That he was not more demonstrative, that he was not more vocal. Like as if that was the be all end all for a player. Do we need more Mike Mitchell's who can talk a big game and then play like shit? Nothing wrong with being more quiet and reserved. Having Heath Miller/Lawrence Timmons types that are quiet and show up for work and do their jobs are just as valuable.

Of course maybe all of this is a moot point, maybe he signs with Cleveland? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am 

He would probably retire before signing with the Stains. He's pulled in 66M in contracts already and should be set for life if he didn't piss it away.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:49 am 

My issue is this. Can we get someone in free agency that is on par or better than Timmons (and younger)? If so, and we can do so for a little bit more money, I think that is a better investment. Timmons of 2 years ago was good, but he was also declining. He's not getting any younger.

We have to be open minded about this and not sentimental.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:39 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments 39. I saw enough of Timmons last year to say to myself, 'this was one of the few and far between times the Steelers cut bait at the perfect time with a player' and I didn't stutter while saying it. The guy is a back up [at best] type these days. To pay Timmons $4-$5Mil per to play part time on the defense would be beyond stupid and wasteful cause dude would have to come off the field on obvious passing downs. I don't care if there's no learning curve. In fact one can argue to the contrary, Timmons would steal reps from a more valuable prospect in the process. So paying dude 4-5 Mil per will be infuriating. If I'm Colbert and Timmons wants anything more than say, 3 Mil over 2 years..., C-Ya let me know how that works out for you. What tells me that won't happen is the Steelers don't have the cap to do it even if they wanted to.

I have bad memories of watching Timmons trailing TE's downfield his last year or 2 here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments 39. I saw enough of Timmons last year to say to myself, 'this was one of the few and far between times the Steelers cut bait at the perfect time with a player' and I didn't stutter while saying it. The guy is a back up [at best] type these days. To pay Timmons $4-$5Mil per to play part time on the defense would be beyond stupid and wasteful cause dude would have to come off the field on obvious passing downs. I don't care if there's no learning curve. In fact one can argue to the contrary, Timmons would steal reps from a more valuable prospect in the process. So paying dude 4-5 Mil per will be infuriating. If I'm Colbert and Timmons wants anything more than say, 3 Mil over 2 years..., C-Ya let me know how that works out for you. What tells me that won't happen is the Steelers don't have the cap to do it even if they wanted to.

I have bad memories of watching Timmons trailing TE's downfield his last year or 2 here.

Which pretty much makes him equivalent to Vincenzo. Unless this is a really cheap depth signing, I'm not sure what kind of value we're really looking at, particularly once the nameplate on the jersey/possible nostalgia value is taken out of account.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 pm 

Timmons is still better than the 3 ILs that we have now. Bring him on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 pm 

I think people are too quick to just look at pass coverage.

Weren't Sean Spence and LJ Fort really, really bad against the run? I remember the long runs becoming more and more problematic, because they weren't up to the challenge, being taken out easily not just by a guard, but by a fullback, TE, etc? It was just really ugly, not really good against the run or pass, below the line at both.

But I just don't see any prospects to pay for in free agency.

Anthony Hitchens is a big name, with an injury history. His former coach is with the Colts now and supposedly he will make a play to sign Hitchens. Do any of you want the Steelers to get in a bidding war and sign Hitchens for something like 4 years $26-30 million?

What is better? 2 years for $3.5-4 million for Timmons or what it would cost to sign Hitchens? Even an Avery Williamson would probably see something like 4 years $16-18. And neither Williamson or Hitchens is really that good at pass coverage, okay, nothing special. They are probably not any better than Timmons at 32 years of age in pass coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:16 pm 

What would be nice would be if our depth at virtually every position on defense wasn’t barren after 11 seasons of being guided by a former DB coach and DC.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:27 pm 

The NFL used to be about running the ball and stopping the run. Not it's about throwing the ball and stopping the pass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next