It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Some good points of debate for Davis to FS from another site 'armchair' talent evaluator and GM. What says Fury armchair evaluators/GM's?

Quote:
this move might be a godsend for Davis. He is the worst cover guy on the Steelers but every other part of his game is solid. Also he’s smart and disciplined (the things Mike Mitchell is NOT). Even though he played SS in college he was the play caller for the secondary. With his eyes toward the QB and only being asked to help on double teams he might turn into an All Pro at the position. He’s got the speed to cover a lot of area. If the Steelers were smart they’d make former Free Safety, now NFL Live analyst, Ryan Clark, a training camp coaching intern. Ryan is a text book example of how to play the position. Troy wouldn’t have been able to be Troy without Ryan taking up the slack and allowing Troy to freelance. Ryan could be a great mentor for Sean in making this move http://www.pittsburgh-blitz.com/armchai ... ee-safety/

I'm two arms short of an armchair (sofa as a ceiling, a wrist-circumference nightmare, and have been called difficult to coach), but I endorse all of the above, including the assessment of Clark as Troy's security blanket during his salad days. I'm sure he expresses himself too much for some, but it'd be an ideal mentoring situation. On the other hand, Lake was a Pro Bowler at SS and CB, and the results have been shaky at best, so who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:22 am 

Scunge wrote:
This hasn't happened yet so fingers crossed. I was expecting both to happen and to happen pretty quickly before the March frenzy started.

When you factor in the cost of say a first or second round pick safety (either a $1 million cap hit, or a $750K cap hit) and the cost of a low draft pick/UDFA ($555K cap hit), that combined $8.125 million from cutting Mitchell and Wilcox comes out to the $6.5 million neighborhood in terms of true cap space created.

I know people will beat that tired old drum that they did this so that they can sign Bell or have the money needed to franchise Bell, but I think there are other considerations too.

Rosie Nix and Chris Boswell and maybe Chris Hubbard (?).

They just gave Rosie a 4 year contract. It was 4 years for $7 million (6.975 million to be precise). That makes him the 4th highest paid FB in the NFL. I think he is easily a Pro Bowl quality special teams player and has a chance to be a multi-dimensional FB who can block and also run and catch, be more involved in the offense.

Boswell, easily one of the best place kickers in the NFL right now. I think the Steelers reward him and he is given a nice new contact. How much? The top 4 contracts are for $16, 16, 17 and 22 million. I am thinking that they give Boz a 4 year $17-18 million contract.

Hubbard. Gilbert only has 2 years left on his deal and became injury prone again, and also was suspended for 4 games for performance enhancing drugs. AND was also grumbling about not being paid enough. Hmmm. As much as l love Gilbert when he is healthy and starting, that is a lot of uncertainty. The NFL is tough and the tackle position even more so, we have a great trio in Big Al, Gilbert and Hubbard. Maybe they keep Hubbard and phase out Gilbert after this year? Maybe Hubbard resigns if he thinks he can be the starter by 2019? I am thinking he might get 4 years $18-20 million.

That $6.5 million in cap space created by cutting Wilcox and Mitchell could be used to give Rosie Nix, Chris Boswell and Chris Hubbard new contracts.

Don't see any way we bring back Chris Hubbard, He will command more money and playing time elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am 

The longer this goes, the more I keep thinking that he won't be released.

Mitchell needs to be sent on his way. The sooner the better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 pm 

I don't think he is going to be released but renegotiated
They are letting him see what he can get before some deadline when he signs the new deal or leaves

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9