It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Lolley has been saying he expects Mitchell to be cut and Cam Sutton will be moved to Safety to take his place.

So, he's saying Sutton will play FS and they're going to keep Davis at SS? Just trying to understand, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:36 am 

DP39 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Lolley has been saying he expects Mitchell to be cut and Cam Sutton will be moved to Safety to take his place.

So, he's saying Sutton will play FS and they're going to keep Davis at SS? Just trying to understand, thanks.

According to Lolley’s latest article they are seriously considering the following:

-Cut Mitchell, saves $6M
-Move Sutton to FS. They want a coverage S vs. a hitter ( thank you God)
-This move gets their 5 best DB ‘s on the field in Nickel packages (Burns, Haden, Sutton, Davis, Hilton).......jury is out on Burns and Davis for me
-They are very high on Allen. Unique size, long arms, etc. They think he is potential starter
-They want to resign Wilcox on cheap
-If they do all of this, they won’t draft S high.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 am 

Huh, well, I guess this isn't as big an issue as it used to be, but I wonder how Sutton will fare making open field tackles on a Fournette or Gronk? He must be a solid fuckin tackler in practice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:13 am 

If it was me I put Brian Allen back there at FS and leave Davis at SS. Sutton is a better boundary corner than a safety prospect IMO. The good thing about Sutton is he can slide inside as well But with Hilton covering the slot, Burns and Haden boundary, Sutton is a 'luxury' back up at this point. Instead of Sensabaugh/Gay playing for an injured corner now they'd have Sutton. Cut Gay, Cut Sensabaugh. I guess there's rumor they want to restructure Wilcox and bring him back. Still gotta draft a safety IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

According to Lolley’s latest article they are seriously considering the following:

-Cut Mitchell, saves $6M
-Move Sutton to FS. They want a coverage S vs. a hitter ( thank you God)
-This move gets their 5 best DB ‘s on the field in Nickel packages (Burns, Haden, Sutton, Davis, Hilton).......jury is out on Burns and Davis for me
-They are very high on Allen. Unique size, long arms, etc. They think he is potential starter
-They want to resign Wilcox on cheap
-If they do all of this, they won’t draft S high.

I can totally dig that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:56 am 

I think this works near term and allows them to eventually move Haden to FS and Sutton or Allen back to corner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:53 pm 

I think Burns can bounc back with coaching.

The big questionmark for me would still be Davis at safety. And you're hoping Cam, or perhaps Allen....or maybe Haden one day can play safety. But regardless I think you're still looking for a safety in R1 or R2.

You don't have to reach, but safety is still a big need (along with ILB, and probably OLB).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:05 pm 

I don't know what to make of Lolley at times. Just this past week I heard him talk about what RB he would consider bringing in if the Steelers moved on from Bell. His top choice? DeMarco Murray. 30 years old, I just averaged 3.6 yards a carry last season DeMarco Murray. :roll:

I also listened to his thoughts on the Steelers TEs and he really didn't seem too impressed with Vance McDonald. I take what he has to say with a big grain of salt.

In terms of Bradley coming in as the new secondary coach and making some changes I am all for it.

Cam Sutton as a safety? Sure I can see that. Teams are trending more and more to having smaller, cornerback sized safeties that can cover.

Many here like LaMarcus Joyner, I do too.

Joyner is 5'8" 185 pounds.
Rodney McCloud, his predecessor, went to the Eagles in free agency, and he is 5'11" 185
Marcus Gilcrest, 5'10" 195
Devin McCourty is 5'10" 185
Ricardo Allen, 5'9" 187
Tyrann Mathieu, 5'9" 186
Andre Hal, 5'10" 188

That is a group of players that have produced some Pro Bowls and quality play the past few years. None of them are any bigger, faster than Cam Sutton (5'11" 188). They are all CB sized, some played CB, some started out as inside slot CBs, but their teams found a way to maximize their talent and weren't afraid to put them at safety. If other teams can do this, I just showed nearly one-fourth of NFL teams have a small CB sized starting safety, then why can't we?

Because our 3-4 defense dictates that we ONLY have certain body types? That they have to be over 6 feet tall? That they have to weigh 205, 215, 220? Why is that?

This is what is so fatiguing for me about our 3-4 defense. It is like we have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern NFL. It seems like we are late to the party at every turn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:08 pm 

Gotta turn that oil tanker!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 pm 

Damn straight!!!

But seriously, B2B, is any of this familiar?

I was told that expecting pass rush/sacks from our DEs was looney tunes. I argued why can't we expect double digit sacks from one of our defensive linemen? No, I was told, it is their job to hold the line, occupy blockers, blah, blah, blah. Yet there was Cam Heyward with 12 sacks this past year and if he hadn't been held out of the Cleveland game? He may have added two more sacks!!

I was told that we couldn't have a different type of NT, that we needed another Hampton type who is strictly a run stuffer. Yet we finally get Javon Hargrave who can be that more penetrating, quicker NT and get more pressure up the middle against the QB.

There are always so many CBs that are smaller or Ss that are smaller and we pass on them, not a fit, etc. You look at Mike Hilton and now, who knows maybe Cam Sutton does become a starter or at the very least the 3rd safety who plays say, 40% of the snaps in sub packages. Those two players might end up being the best players in the secondary. But traditionally we overlook those players, we are always looking for bigger, taller, etc.

LBers. Why can't we have more 215-220 pound linebackers on the team? Former safeties in college, or just small safety sized linebackers, who cares? If they can play and have talent then draft them and use them. I am always told, that guy isn't a Steeler type, too small, not tall enough, doesn't weigh 240-250, etc. Not your typical 3-4 OLB, etc. How will that player fit in our 3-4 scheme? Blah, Blah, Blah.

Imagine you have this pie that represents the defensive players in the draft. The Steelers come up and cut a small slice and put it on their plate. That slice is maybe 15% of that pie and there is no going back for seconds. That small slice is representative of the players that they feel comfortable with in their 3-4 scheme. That is the way it feels to me at times, like we limit ourselves, and that the rest of the NFL teams continue to go back to that pie for a second slice and a third slice because they are not so rigid and inflexible with their defenses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next