It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm 

How many big plays does anyone recall MM making in the last two years?

A big hit to stop a drive? Forced fumble? Interception?

All I saw, and granted I’m jaded, was him missing tackles, overrunning plays and NEVER making a big play.

I’m too lazy, but how many interceptions does he have as a Steeler?

Cannot wait to see some more speed and athletic ability at the position.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:29 pm 

I remember actually seeing him pick one off, but seems like that was a couple years ago, I'm sure he's snagged a few. Seems like I can only recall one ff as well. What stands out most to me were the numerous 15 yd'ers that fucker committed. His first year or so here was brutal... for us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:38 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

All I saw, and granted I’m jaded, was him missing tackles, overrunning plays and NEVER making a big play.

And I seriously doubt that you’ll see more interceptions. As much as guys like Mitchell should be upgraded, it still comes down to scheme, and what the Steelers ask and want their safeties to do. Tackle the catch didn’t leave town with Dick Lebeau...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:47 pm 

Talk also of moving Davis to FS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:20 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

And I seriously doubt that you’ll see more interceptions. As much as guys like Mitchell should be upgraded, it still comes down to scheme, and what the Steelers ask and want their safeties to do. Tackle the catch didn’t leave town with Dick Lebeau...

I saw many opportunities for picks on deep moon balls over the years. But yeah, get your point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:23 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
Talk also of moving Davis to FS

People got on Sean Davis for allowing Gronk to tool him in the Pats’ game.

Mitchell was more to blame for that than Davis...he was never there to help on time.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:10 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

4 INT's since 2015.

There's a few articles out there to catch up on a reason or 2 why Davis may get moved to FS. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1802150130
Range is seen as a better fit at FS and Mitchell likely being a cap casualty I think they really have few options. It still amazes me that it takes just about a complete break down of player/talent before the issue is even looked at to resolve. Nothing this coaching staff does indicates to me 'preventative maintenance' regarding talent. Perhaps the talent evaluators have become complacent? Perhaps there is someone over riding the logic that needs applied? A Shame that so much sleeping at the wheel is allowed in such a prestigious franchise with a storied history of the opposite. JMO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm 

So these guys should be March 1 cuts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 pm 

Could anyone give me examples of Sean Davis playing the single high safety last season.

The Steelers could have big time problems on the horizon

Artie Burns Sean Davis...Both look like they suck

I believe Tom Bradley can really coach and teach...We shall see

Neither has been reported cut yet...I wont be shocked if they cut Wilcox and re-work Mitchell's deal with a year or two added to the deal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 pm 

I don't know FC. I do remember Sean Davis having memorable plays down the field, deep down the field, not as an in the box typical strong safety, but more as that centerfielder making plays on the ball.

His rookie season Willie Gay was trying to cover Shephard, this was against the Giants, and Davis was back there deep and Manning threw the ball. Davis was able to just slide over and snatch the ball easily for the INT.

I remember a similar play against Baltimore this year where Hilton was covering a player who was running straight down the middle of the field and it was Sean Davis who was deep. Flacco let it rip and Davis read the whole thing all the way, slipped up and in front of the players and made the INT and then returned it for 41 yards.

Of his 4 INTs, he only returned two of them but one was for 41 yards and the other for 35 yards. When you look at his career, he just seems like a different player when he is further away from the line of scrimmage. As a FS, playing Mitchell's spot, he will have his eyes forward facing the QB, able to read and decipher plays faster. And he has proven to me that he has the hands and talent to make INTs. Isn't that what we want our FS to do? To be back there and be the last line of defense, come up and make hard hits, get your hands on INTs? Anybody remember the one KC game where Davis came up and separated the ball from Conley as he was making the catch? Sure, he was flagged on the play, but when does Mike Mitchell ever force contested catches like that? Honestly I remember more times where Mitchell came up and delivered a big hit on his own teammate.

Just have always thought that Davis was miscast as our SS and would be better as the FS.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next