It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm 

I don't know if Davis is A great FS, but I think he's much better suited to that than he is to SS.

Both Davis and Burns are young... Burns, especially. There's hope that they'll get better. Burns, especially, I think has been all about the mental errors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am 

I'm hoping that Bradley can reach both youngsters. Instill a work ethic and maturity that pays dividends. Better disciplined, football savvy, wrap up tackling.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:18 pm 

The simple fact is there is no such thing as a downgrade for Mike Mitchell - PIT might as well be playing 11 on 10.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:01 pm 

The two things that have me really concerned with Artie Burns is that he plays soft against the run (tackling in general) and that he may be too stiff as a player. Those two things just don't go together. You can be a player who is not that fluid or agile and still be a great CB if you use your size and length and physicality to compensate for it.

When I try and watch him backpedal it is painful. It is like watching a RB run too upright through a tight hole, or watching an offensive linemen who refuses to bend his knees, who only bends from the waist. Burns is stiff, stiff, stiff.

But that is not a death sentence for a CB, if you have size, if you use your length and physicality to your advantage. He is a 6 footer, has arms over 33 inches long but he rarely uses those tools. Bradley really needs to work the hardest on Burns to try and turn his career around. I am hoping that Bradley and Joe Haden can get through to him and get him back on track.

In terms of Davis at FS and people worried about him being the last line of defense, I don't worry at all. He will be an upgrade over Mike Mitchell. Much easier to find a SS in this year's draft then a FS probably, moving Davis to FS allows you to tackle the first problem and who knows maybe Davis proves himself a solution to the FS problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 pm 

Burns has his warts, but I think he had a fairly solid season and I'm excited about his future. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:48 pm 

I actually never understood why Davis wasn't at FS. He was a former CB and his body type is such that I think he'd make a fine FS (assuming he has the mental part of the game down).

I'm still high on Davis. I still recall some of the big breaks-ups he made over the last couple years in key situations. It's hard to assess him really with the garbage play we've gotten next to him from Mitchell over the last 2 years. Let's see what he can do if we are able to get a real safety next to him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm 

Cam Sutton, and possibly even Willie Gay, could be in the mix at FS as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 pm 

Quote:
When I try and watch him backpedal it is painful. It is like watching a RB run too upright through a tight hole, or watching an offensive linemen who refuses to bend his knees, who only bends from the waist. Burns is stiff, stiff, stiff.

But that is not a death sentence for a CB, if you have size, if you use your length and physicality to your advantage. He is a 6 footer, has arms over 33 inches long but he rarely uses those tools. Bradley really needs to work the hardest on Burns to try and turn his career around. I am hoping that Bradley and Joe Haden can get through to him and get him back on track.

Ya, hopefully the new DB coach can get him in track.

Our HC, who was a former DB coach himself, must have been bogged down with other responsibilities to address any of this.

Or recognize it and spend the draft pic elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 pm 

I think Gay would be an improvement over Mitchell next year. Hopefully they get lucky in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:13 am 

Willie Gay is too stiff and long in the tooth to play FS. Doesn't have the COD needed IMO. Davis on the other hand has that COD and the length to make an ideal FS. I think the Steelers view Sutton as a boundary corner. I don't believe they'll move Sutton inside to safety. You are correct franco. Davis played both safety and corner in college. He mostly played corner. I think SS is the position the Steelers look to fill this draft. Moving Davis to his more natural position FS. I think that was the plan when they traded for Wilcox. They didn't count on Wilcox sucking out loud so bad. Trial and error I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next