It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:43 pm 

Quote:
ilcox - DB - Steelers
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette expects the Steelers to release S J.J. Wilcox.
Wilcox played just 131 2017 snaps after coming over in a September trade from the Bucs. Cutting him would create $3.125 million in cap space while leaving behind just $675,000 in dead money.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-GazetteFeb 15 - 4:47 PM

Mike Mitchell - DB - Steelers
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette expects the Steelers to release FS Mike Mitchell.
The same is true of J.J. Wilcox. Going on 31, Mitchell started 13 games in 2017 but was mostly sub-replacement level. Cutting Mitchell would leave behind $3.135 million in dead money but create $5 million in cap space.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Feb 15 - 4:41 PM

Post subject: Re: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 pm 

Amen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm 

Great news!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:21 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Great news!

Only if it doesn’t make Robert Golden a starter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 pm 

I guess crying didn’t work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:36 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
Amen.

Love it! Maybe Artie has had it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 pm 

Better than winning the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:00 pm 

I almost feel guilty for being so happy about this because I do feel like Mitchell was a hard worker... at the end of the day though, he was the weakest link after Sean Spence... Will be great to see us move on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm 

So if they release both Safety that now means we have to replace both so does that come in the draft and has to be a FA too because can't go into the season with Rokie safety

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 pm 

This hasn't happened yet so fingers crossed. I was expecting both to happen and to happen pretty quickly before the March frenzy started.

When you factor in the cost of say a first or second round pick safety (either a $1 million cap hit, or a $750K cap hit) and the cost of a low draft pick/UDFA ($555K cap hit), that combined $8.125 million from cutting Mitchell and Wilcox comes out to the $6.5 million neighborhood in terms of true cap space created.

I know people will beat that tired old drum that they did this so that they can sign Bell or have the money needed to franchise Bell, but I think there are other considerations too.

Rosie Nix and Chris Boswell and maybe Chris Hubbard (?).

They just gave Rosie a 4 year contract. It was 4 years for $7 million (6.975 million to be precise). That makes him the 4th highest paid FB in the NFL. I think he is easily a Pro Bowl quality special teams player and has a chance to be a multi-dimensional FB who can block and also run and catch, be more involved in the offense.

Boswell, easily one of the best place kickers in the NFL right now. I think the Steelers reward him and he is given a nice new contact. How much? The top 4 contracts are for $16, 16, 17 and 22 million. I am thinking that they give Boz a 4 year $17-18 million contract.

Hubbard. Gilbert only has 2 years left on his deal and became injury prone again, and also was suspended for 4 games for performance enhancing drugs. AND was also grumbling about not being paid enough. Hmmm. As much as l love Gilbert when he is healthy and starting, that is a lot of uncertainty. The NFL is tough and the tackle position even more so, we have a great trio in Big Al, Gilbert and Hubbard. Maybe they keep Hubbard and phase out Gilbert after this year? Maybe Hubbard resigns if he thinks he can be the starter by 2019? I am thinking he might get 4 years $18-20 million.

That $6.5 million in cap space created by cutting Wilcox and Mitchell could be used to give Rosie Nix, Chris Boswell and Chris Hubbard new contracts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:36 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Better than winning the Super Bowl.

Removing the ping pong table was up there...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm 

To me, Wilcox has some value as a backup and spot starter. Especially as a SS. So not sure about this move.

Cutting MM is a no brainer.

I don’t have enough faith in the current staff to trust they have an adequate plan here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 pm 

Not surprising IMHO. Mitchell didn't earn his salary last season or for the season before so why keep him around. The other reason is dude has proven he's a bit immature for such an established veteran. Not the kind of leadership I want the younger guys being influenced by. Wilcox blew goat nuts. Not sure if he even wants to play football. Didn't look like it to me. Going to a new club I would've thought he'd be unstoppable trying to make his brand. He couldn't find the field very often and when he did he was undisciplined and callus. Perhaps he's still very raw I don't know. He is not worthy of the current salary he's expected to collect on the 2018 season. Perhaps release him and bring him back at a much more realistic 1 year prove it contract. With the new DB coach it only makes sense to jettison the poor example [Mitchell] and overpaid ne'er-do-well [Wilcox] giving coach Bradley a new slate with guys that are proven they're buying into the plan. That all said, that leaves this defense very little depth at safety. Davis, R. Golden and Dangerfield are those proven try hard guys. WTF Colbert? The future reserve guy isn't counted out either. Malik Golden. Talk about Bare bones. They almost have to sign a FA safety before the draft and draft a safety to go into the 2018 season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 pm 

Quote:
He couldn't find the field very often

This is the part that gives me pause. Didn’t see the field yet at the same time we have a coach that has a history of questionable personnel decisions.

He wasn’t good enough to see field while Mitchell was?

See where I’m going with that?

I haven’t seen enough of Wilcox body of work to know for sure. However, I find it hard to believe as we stand right now he isn’t good enough to be our #3 safety.

We don’t even have solid 1 or 2.

So what’s that tell ya.

Maybe we should have spent a 4th rounder on one instead of a QB that isn’t going to help the immediate cause.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:03 am 

NFL Radio yesterday..Bill Polian is talking about the Steelers D. Actually said they don’t have to do much. Said that Mitchell and Davis are a good pair of safeties. Seriously? I wonder how some people are employed. Mitchell is terrible, and one of my least favorite Steelers in some time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 am 

You think Bill Polian is keeping up with the personnel of 32 NFL teams. Hell no! Just a talking head.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 am 

Wonder if Gay will take over?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:18 am 

Lynch wrote:
Wonder if Gay will take over?

Sweet Jesus I hope not

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am 

955876 wrote:
Quote:
He couldn't find the field very often

This is the part that gives me pause. Didn’t see the field yet at the same time we have a coach that has a history of questionable personnel decisions.

He wasn’t good enough to see field while Mitchell was?

See where I’m going with that?

I haven’t seen enough of Wilcox body of work to know for sure. However, I find it hard to believe as we stand right now he isn’t good enough to be our #3 safety.

We don’t even have solid 1 or 2.

So what’s that tell ya.

Maybe we should have spent a 4th rounder on one instead of a QB that isn’t going to help the immediate cause.

The game Wilcox played against Chicago, even in spite of the interception, was some of the worst safety play I've ever seen in my life at any level of football. Consistently blown run gap assignments, couldn't execute simple deep half zone coverage concepts that a high schooler could pick up in a day (fortunate that they were playing Mike Glennon who refused to push the ball down the field), and just about the worst pursuit angles you could imagine. Combine that with the just absolutely lazy penalties on special teams and it was a wonder this guy didn't get axed during the season.

I'd bet a hefty amount of money that the reason that Mitchell played over Wilcoxx is simply that the coaching staff had 0 faith that Wilcoxx would ever be where he supposed to be. Mitchell was bad this year, but he was more consistently in position than any other of our DBs - he just seems to have lost the ability run and make a play on the football.

Agree on your last point - safety depth was either a failure of evaluation, draft prioritization, or both.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 am 

Unfortunately, many of us have already anticipated Mitchell being cut and then brought back at a reduced salary.

Second, none of this matters. Unless Colbert hits the lottery two or three times, Mike Tomlin is in complete command of that defense. That's all you need to know to see that Tomlin has been a free rider on the talent of some players and coaches. His fingerprints are all over an awful defense - that's what Mike Tomlin brings to the table.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Not surprising IMHO. Mitchell didn't earn his salary last season or for the season before so why keep him around. The other reason is dude has proven he's a bit immature for such an established veteran. Not the kind of leadership I want the younger guys being influenced by. Wilcox blew goat nuts. Not sure if he even wants to play football. Didn't look like it to me. Going to a new club I would've thought he'd be unstoppable trying to make his brand. He couldn't find the field very often and when he did he was undisciplined and callus. Perhaps he's still very raw I don't know. He is not worthy of the current salary he's expected to collect on the 2018 season. Perhaps release him and bring him back at a much more realistic 1 year prove it contract. With the new DB coach it only makes sense to jettison the poor example [Mitchell] and overpaid ne'er-do-well [Wilcox] giving coach Bradley a new slate with guys that are proven they're buying into the plan. That all said, that leaves this defense very little depth at safety. Davis, R. Golden and Dangerfield are those proven try hard guys. WTF Colbert? The future reserve guy isn't counted out either. Malik Golden. Talk about Bare bones. They almost have to sign a FA safety before the draft and draft a safety to go into the 2018 season.

I wonder if Allen is in the plans for the safety spot - he certainly has the size. I know they like him, but may really see him as a CB only, not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:08 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

I wonder if Allen is in the plans for the safety spot - he certainly has the size. I know they like him, but may really see him as a CB only, not sure.

I think he'll be the replacement for Willie Gay in the dime. He fits that spot very well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:21 pm 

Scunge wrote:
This hasn't happened yet so fingers crossed. I was expecting both to happen and to happen pretty quickly before the March frenzy started.

When you factor in the cost of say a first or second round pick safety (either a $1 million cap hit, or a $750K cap hit) and the cost of a low draft pick/UDFA ($555K cap hit), that combined $8.125 million from cutting Mitchell and Wilcox comes out to the $6.5 million neighborhood in terms of true cap space created.

I know people will beat that tired old drum that they did this so that they can sign Bell or have the money needed to franchise Bell, but I think there are other considerations too.

Rosie Nix and Chris Boswell and maybe Chris Hubbard (?).

They just gave Rosie a 4 year contract. It was 4 years for $7 million (6.975 million to be precise). That makes him the 4th highest paid FB in the NFL. I think he is easily a Pro Bowl quality special teams player and has a chance to be a multi-dimensional FB who can block and also run and catch, be more involved in the offense.

Boswell, easily one of the best place kickers in the NFL right now. I think the Steelers reward him and he is given a nice new contact. How much? The top 4 contracts are for $16, 16, 17 and 22 million. I am thinking that they give Boz a 4 year $17-18 million contract.

Hubbard. Gilbert only has 2 years left on his deal and became injury prone again, and also was suspended for 4 games for performance enhancing drugs. AND was also grumbling about not being paid enough. Hmmm. As much as l love Gilbert when he is healthy and starting, that is a lot of uncertainty. The NFL is tough and the tackle position even more so, we have a great trio in Big Al, Gilbert and Hubbard. Maybe they keep Hubbard and phase out Gilbert after this year? Maybe Hubbard resigns if he thinks he can be the starter by 2019? I am thinking he might get 4 years $18-20 million.

That $6.5 million in cap space created by cutting Wilcox and Mitchell could be used to give Rosie Nix, Chris Boswell and Chris Hubbard new contracts.

Scunge, I've been thinking the same thing, especially regarding Hubbard. He's almost 4 years younger, more reliable, almost as good and position flexible in a pinch. The big question with this I guess is, what do they see in Hawkins (they spent a 4th on)? If he is projecting as a future starting RT in a year, then Hubs is gone. If true, can't keep 'em all, I guess. I also wonder if Gilbert being close friends with Joe Haden and big reason he signed with us will play a factor into all of this.

Boz will get paid soon enough.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

I think he'll be the replacement for Willie Gay in the dime. He fits that spot very well.

Sounds about right, b2b2. So, with Haden, Burns, Hilton, Sutton and Allen they're about set at CB. I think they have real plans for Davis at FS. If so, who do you like as a realistic FA SS? If both MM and Wilcox are gone and Golden/Dangerfield as backups, you know Colbert will grab at least one in FA before the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:39 pm 

Bradley McDougald? Kind of thinking he'll re-sign with Seattle but he would kind of fit their profile.