It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Agency
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:11 am 

Might be something worth watching here?

Quote:
Tyrann Mathieu

Verified account

@Mathieu_Era
14m14 minutes ago
Tyrann Mathieu Retweeted Cam Heyward
What's good big homie

@CamHeyward
@Mathieu_Era what’s up bro?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 am 

yes they are good at tweeting

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
yes they are good at tweeting

that exchange does not prove this at all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 am 

Quote:
Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
6m6 minutes ago
More
Raiders trying to finalize deal today for former Packers’ WR Jordy Nelson, who still is in Oakland, sources tell ESPN. “This is going to get done,” one source said of the talks. Nelson on his way to becoming a Raider.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:48 am 

Quote:
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Following Following @RapSheet
More
If the #Raiders finalize a deal with WR Jordy Nelson, they are likely to release WR Michael Crabtree, who has a $7.7M cap hit. That is in their plans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 pm 

I enjoy being the Jewish kids during Free Agent Christmas. Steelers do this every year and most of us complain every year- and then bam we get what we need. Last year Colbert brought in some great pieces to this defense with some late trades and FA pickups- and they worked out well until that last game.

And yeah getting what amounts to socks and a belt for Free Agent Hanukkah sucks. Especially when everyone else is getting RC cars, video games, and that Honey Badger action figure. But we know that in 3 months most of that shit will be lost or broken. But in your heart of hearts, you're thanking your Baba for that wool coat or those surprisingly well-made socks she got you when it gets cold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 pm 

GO GET JASON MCCOURTY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:17 pm 

Man, with $80M still left to spend in FA and shitload of draft picks this, the Clowns are going to have to let some potentially talented young players go. As an example, as I count it, they have 17 DBs on their squad right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:37 pm 

The Cleveland Browns have made the following roster moves:

Terminated contract (2):

DB Jason McCourty

DB B.W. Webb

Waived (8):

DL Ricky Ali'ifua

OL Zach Banner

DL Collin Bevins

LB Jeremy Cash

OL Joseph Cheek

WR Sammie Coates

DB Trevon Hartfield

RB Josh Rounds

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/art ... 5187f70462

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm 

McCourty was traded to the Patriots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Man, with $80M still left to spend in FA and shitload of draft picks this, the Clowns are going to have to let some potentially talented young players go. As an example, as I count it, they have 17 DBs on their squad right now.

This team has been a mess. $80 million and a ton of draft picks is pretty much par for the course for them. They have spent money in Free Agency in order to give their fans hope and have failed miserably. They have drafted players who have had a ton of talent- and got nothing. They have to get their culture right and bringing in a ton of FAs to groom a bunch of rookies isn't the way to do it. You have to choose either vets or rookies. When Noll came to Pittsburgh the old players were shown the door and the fans let him have it. He invested in youth and defense- and it has served as the blueprint on how to get a franchise off the snide. They need to find a player they can build around and stay the course of surrounding him with homegrown talent. But they won't and well we will back here next year talking about how much cap space they have and picks they garnered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:57 pm 

Saw that after I posted that list directly from their nfl website.

Patriots acquired CB Jason McCourty and a 2018 seventh-round pick from the Browns in exchange for a sixth-round pick in 2018.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:08 pm 

Quote:
@RapSheet
The #Redskins have signed LB Zach Brown to a 3-year deal worth max of $24M, source said. 127 tackles stay in Washington. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/974390856433139718
And another one's gone....Timmons is looking more and more like the Steelers next FA signing.

Quote:
@RapSheet
The #49ers signed former #Chargers LB Jeremiah Attaochu to a 1-year deal worth up to $5.125M, source said. He gets $2.5M fully guaranteed. Played in 4 games last year, but had 6 sacks in 2015. https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/974401864455376897

Quote:
@FieldYates
Former Chiefs LB Kevin Pierre-Louis visited the Jets today, per source. https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/9 ... 5493931008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 pm 

Quote:
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
3h3 hours ago
More
The #Raiders are closing in on a deal with #Lions free agent LB Tahir Whitehead, source said. This is expected to get done, giving Oakland some defensive help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 pm 

If the Steelers now sign Timmons I lose my mind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:43 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
If the Steelers now sign Timmons I lose my mind

You really thought that might not happen?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:53 am 

Scunge wrote:
And yet...

...Colbert last season was able to do quite a bit in terms of bringing in free agents either by trade, free agency, etc.

Joe Haden, Vance McDonald, Mike Hilton signed late in 2016 but I count that towards the 2017 haul, Tyson Alualu. Maybe JJ Wilcox surprises this year and becomes a quality starter or rotational player.

If Colbert and the Steelers want to wait later to play in free agency then I am fine with it, worked out pretty well last year.

I still say this too. This 2018 free agency has some of the worst talent available I have ever seen. It is unreal how much money is being spent on such mediocre/bad talent.

I would rather Colbert wait until after the draft and see what vets are made expendable because teams are in love with their new shiny rookie draft picks.

Agree that the money spent is outrageous which also means Bell is right. He can get a lot more than what the Steelers are offering.

Write this down.....once this CBA is up after 2020, everyone should get ready for some fireworks and holdouts. I think it’s going to be a brutal negotiation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am 

yes Kodiak I did not see the steelers taking him back at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
.....once this CBA is up after 2020, everyone should get ready for some fireworks and holdouts. I think it’s going to be a brutal negotiation.

Good point. The way ratings are going, tv revenues will be down significantly....and the owners will push for a much lower % to the players. I could actually see the cap going down year-over-year in 2021.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 am 

very interesting to see because most fans are feed up with the BS and also Direct TV raising their prices fans are going away in droves

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am 

Ahem.

https://apple.news/AZPqlORQlR2Oeip1iMXIkIg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:30 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
.....once this CBA is up after 2020, everyone should get ready for some fireworks and holdouts. I think it’s going to be a brutal negotiation.

Good point. The way ratings are going, tv revenues will be down significantly....and the owners will push for a much lower % to the players. I could actually see the cap going down year-over-year in 2021.

Don't hold your breath. Live sports, the NFL specifically, are still so far ahead of scripted content in terms of being DVR-proof that advertisers flock to those broadcasts.

The tv deals will keep going up until this stops.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Well-reasoned and depressing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:31 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

I honestly never thought of this, but it makes complete sense.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:43 pm 

One year guarantee or not, I sometimes don't understand the Steelers. They ALWAYS fill holes before the draft. That is fact. Usually they only consider younger C2 players. They probably signed "more" for roster fillers last year than I can remember. BUT, they waited until after camp and strengthened their perceived weaker areas/positions

This year some; BIG holes in Safety & Linebacker and they cut 3 possible safeties.....Now a HUGE hole.

And I don't even want them to be "BIG" players in the free agency game. They don't have to be, because the roster is sound and the team is usually damn good. BUT, at least make some calls and do some invites of the good value players out there. Day one, early free agency, before OTAs, OTAs, training camp, & before game one. Do the digging, do the footwork. No stoned un-turned. You never know.

EX: Kevin Pierre Louis visiting New York Jets as we speak........Up & coming, young, still has ceiling. MOST of all, low cost. Think he has a weed bust or something. Ever player smokes. But he has never failed a ""piss" test. Responsible partier, if you will. Pittsburgh SHOULD have been his FIRST visit. Perfect roster addition this off season. Affordable, young, needs to prove himself, ascending.

Why is he not in the facility walking past 6 Lombardis with Shazier, VW, & Joe Greene meeting him at the door. Don't need the BEST ILB or Safety out there in FA. But NEVER "pass" on a VALUE player, needed or not...At least take a look, make the call, put out an invite. He doesn't want to go to the JETS. No one does. But if the Steelers don't call he may think its his only shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next