It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Free Agency
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 am 

Kodiak wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Don't hold your breath. Live sports, the NFL specifically, are still so far ahead of scripted content in terms of being DVR-proof that advertisers flock to those broadcasts.

Why do you assume advertisers care whether someone watches a progam live or on DVR?

TV, or cable programming, in general is on major decline. That HAS to impact the next CBA negotiation.

Live vs. a scripted program and you think that doesn’t make a difference to advertisers? I can only go by my experience. I do not see or hear 1 commercial when it’s not live and a lot of the time (Pens games) - I watch it delayed so I can sift through ADS and in between periods bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:59 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Live vs. a scripted program and you think that doesn’t make a difference to advertisers? I can only go by my experience. I do not see or hear 1 commercial when it’s not live and a lot of the time (Pens games) - I watch it delayed so I can sift through ADS and in between periods bullshit.

That's a fair point, though I'm not sure it's as significant as you think since commercials for sporting events are often time for trips to the fridge, bathroom breaks and checking your phone.

But advertiser DEFINITELY care about eyeballs, and the trend is less and less people watching the NFL. It was down like 10% in 2016, and then like another 10% or more from that last year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:14 pm 

Quote:
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
Following Following @RapSheet
More
Terms: The #Patriots traded for WR Cordarrelle Patterson, while swapping a 5th round pick for a #Raiders 6th round pick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
More
Terms: The #Patriots traded for WR Cordarrelle Patterson, while swapping a 5th round pick for a #Raiders 6th round pick.

Translation: they got one of the better kick return guys-- who is actually better than nothing as a WR-- for next to nothing. He has led the NFL in KR avg three years out of the 5 he's been in the league. He also had 430 yards from scrimmage on only 34 touches... which blows away what any of our WRs not named AB, JuJu, or Martavis Bryant. We could have traded our late 5th for the Raiders 6th and barely noticed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Don't hold your breath. Live sports, the NFL specifically, are still so far ahead of scripted content in terms of being DVR-proof that advertisers flock to those broadcasts.

Why do you assume advertisers care whether someone watches a progam live or on DVR?

TV, or cable programming, in general is on major decline. That HAS to impact the next CBA negotiation.

Uh...because they do?

You can skip commercials on DVR.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:33 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

That's a fair point, though I'm not sure it's as significant as you think since commercials for sporting events are often time for trips to the fridge, bathroom breaks and checking your phone.

But advertiser DEFINITELY care about eyeballs, and the trend is less and less people watching the NFL. It was down like 10% in 2016, and then like another 10% or more from that last year.

Both UFC and WWE are expected to get new tv deals this year that exceed their current deals by quite a lot.

Live event programming is superior to scripted programming when it comes to ads. And what live programs are people more likely to sit down and watch live as opposed to DVRing later? Sports.

Even if the NFL declines it is still so far and away better for advertisers than anything else networks can put on at that time that networks will continue to pay a premium for the right to air games.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Quote:
Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
More

Translation: they got one of the better kick return guys-- who is actually better than nothing as a WR-- for next to nothing. He has led the NFL in KR avg three years out of the 5 he's been in the league. He also had 430 yards from scrimmage on only 34 touches... which blows away what any of our WRs not named AB, JuJu, or Martavis Bryant. We could have traded our late 5th for the Raiders 6th and barely noticed.

great move by the pats

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:30 pm 

Speed guy who can get deep but also brings him a Great KR I agree nice move

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm 

Wonder if the Steelers will bring in any more free agents for visits

Last edited by steelmann58 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Even if the NFL declines it is still so far and away better for advertisers than anything else networks can put on at that time that networks will continue to pay a premium for the right to air games.

It's not growing. The year-over-year declines are HUGE. They pay for eyeballs, so that means the TV contracts WILL take a big hit. Ratings declines =/= price increases. You're trying to way overcomplicate a very, very simple concept.

Neither you nor I know anything about the conversion rates per dollar spent - which is the metric that matters. If 1/10th of people view my spot on a cable show vs. an NFL game, but it costs me 1/20th of what the NFL game does....do I need to spell out that math for you?

If my adds on NFL games are now viewed by less than 80% of the people it was just a few years ago, do I really need to show you how that math works? People increasingly cutting the cord does not mean advertisers are going to hold their television outlay constant, much less pay more for less return. Those dollars are following the eyeballs to other mediums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next