It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bell's Worth - a historical Perspective
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:16 pm 

I could live with a 3 year deal around $10-11 million per year for Bell, although I highly doubt Bell would accept such a deal, anything more than that is assinine as far as I am concerned. I think both sides would like to see Bell sign a deal, I just don’t think it will happen because of Bell’s demands. My guess is they end up tagging him and allowing him to negotiate with other teams in some form or fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 am 

The Patriots' game is the best single point example of why paying Bell so much money would be foolish.

When the Steelers went super-conservative and put the ball in Bell's hands in the second half of that game, do you think Bill Belichick was scared or happy?

Scunge said it best...Le'veon Bell doesn't have breakaway speed...he can't score from anywhere.

If you're putting the ball overly-much in his hands, opposing teams are HAPPY, not worried.

So why pay him like he's a game-changer?

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 am 

Jeemie wrote:
The Patriots' game is the best single point example of why paying Bell so much money would be foolish.

When the Steelers went super-conservative and put the ball in Bell's hands in the second half of that game, do you think Bill Belichick was scared or happy?

Scunge said it best...Le'veon Bell doesn't have breakaway speed...he can't score from anywhere.

If you're putting the ball overly-much in his hands, opposing teams are HAPPY, not worried.

good point..and I agree on bell..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Belichick was laughing his ass off at our dumb coaches, starting with our HC.

I do wonder if Tomlin had to choose between a rookie Ben and a rookie Bell who he would choose to start a franchise (if he had to choose between them).

"I probably lived thru him at times" - Bill Cowher on Jerome Bettis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:46 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Belichick was laughing his ass off at our dumb coaches, starting with our HC.

BB probably thinks "if I had Ben I wouldn't even have to cheat"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:03 pm 

bam morris wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Because he can be a game changer.

Jeemie, you did not argue Bell is not worth the money (he may not be). You did not argue he is not a game changer (he may not be). You argued that turtle ball is a stupid strategy against NE and argued that the manner in which Bell was deployed was dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
bam morris wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Because he can be a game changer.

Jeemie, you did not argue Bell is not worth the money (he may not be). You did not argue he is not a game changer (he may not be). You argued that turtle ball is a stupid strategy against NE and argued that the manner in which Bell was deployed was dumb.

Now I'm arguing he isn't a game-changer.

Antonio Brown is a game-changer. Ben is a game-changer.

Bell has not shown he's a game-changer in any way, shape or form.

Not anymore.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:36 pm 

Bell is a tough matchup, can be lethal at turning a 1 yd gain into 4-5, and is very dependable when healthy. He's also a crutch.

Ideally, you'd keep him at a reasonable number and add a guy with similar skills but more game-changing upside.