It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Competition Committee meets this week...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Yeah, I’m going to have say that most, if not all NFL head coaches are not watching a lot of other games. Of course, noting that there is a difference between “watching” and working. (Breaking down film)

We call it “scrubbing tape” here at Fury.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Yeah, I’m going to have say that most, if not all NFL head coaches are not watching a lot of other games. Of course, noting that there is a difference between “watching” and working. (Breaking down film)

We call it “scrubbing tape” here at Fury.

I guess I’m still old school... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:12 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
The catch rule WILL be on the agenda.

The bad publicity finally got to Goodell, and he wants it to be changed.

There's only one true solution. They won't adopt it, and many of you wouldn't like it either, but I'd love it, my solution...

Make a catch a judgment call that is not reviewable. Hold the ball for one second, feet in bounds, don't have to "survive the ground" PERIOD.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
The catch rule WILL be on the agenda.

The bad publicity finally got to Goodell, and he wants it to be changed.

There's only one true solution. They won't adopt it, and many of you wouldn't like it either, but I'd love it, my solution...

Make a catch a judgment call that is not reviewable. Hold the ball for one second, feet in bounds, don't have to "survive the ground" PERIOD.

Catches need to be reviewable for the most egregious of errors such as only one foot in bounds a la Mel Renfro. And I'm really hating the "survive the ground" rule. Somehow over the course of some 77-odd years, receivers made catches in the NFL without having to "survive the ground".

Remember the "Merril Hoge" playoff game in Denver? Remember in that game a Denver receiver was awarded a TD despite only having one foot in bounds? Who knows, they call that correctly, maybe the Steelers win. This is why I'm going to follow you around and every time you say we should just get rid of replay, I'm going say no, we need replay for egregious mistakes like that so the Steelers don't get screwed by a bad call in a playoff game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm 

I've always thought of that whole playoff run as "Bubby's Mom" games.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm 

Ice wrote:
I've always thought of that whole playoff run as "Bubby's Mom" games.

I remember they would go out of their way to show her cringing and writhing in her seat. Presumably worried about her son's health and not because of his play. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:56 am 

I do wonder if we had survived Denver and Cleveland, would we have lost 55-10 to the 49ers?

And i totally forgot about Bubby's mom.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 am 

The big problem with replay as it is today, is that teams are getting screwed by having correct/obvious calls overturned.

The original rule of clear, indisputable evidence apparently no longer applies. To most fans, it looks like replay is being used to substitute a judgement call from a NY studio over the judgement call on the field.

One person making these rulings is supposed to bring more consistency. It hasn't. And, on the contrary, it makes fixing/rigging games easier - which is how it looks to a lot of people.

I think expanded replay, especially with the NY overlord, is a failure. Go back to coaches get two challenges (plus potentially a third) and that's it. At least you're putting more of a cap on how many times a team can get screwed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:16 am 

Kodiak wrote:
The big problem with replay as it is today, is that teams are getting screwed by having correct/obvious calls overturned.

The original rule of clear, indisputable evidence apparently no longer applies. To most fans, it looks like replay is being used to substitute a judgement call from a NY studio over the judgement call on the field.

One person making these rulings is supposed to bring more consistency. It hasn't. And, on the contrary, it makes fixing/rigging games easier - which is how it looks to a lot of people.

I think expanded replay, especially with the NY overlord, is a failure. Go back to coaches get two challenges (plus potentially a third) and that's it. At least you're putting more of a cap on how many times a team can get screwed.

Forget the catch rule, the whole replay thing has been taken to the extreme.

If it looks and acts like a catch, then it's a catch/fumble, TD, etc

Give them 30 seconds to review (which is plenty of time) and if they can't overturn the play on the field stands

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am 

If they just put in the original rule or the NCAA catch rule AND enforce the indisputable evidence on the replay I think they are fine. They really need to stop with the Zapruder film study of catches. Bert Emmanuel said it best. " A receiver would never, ever reach unless he has control. He will always focus on maintaining control of the ball. Once he reaches, in his mind, control is established.”