It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:04 pm 

LeMarcus Joyner projected contract on spotrac:

Market Value
5 yrs, $53,247,260
Avg. Salary: $10,649,452
NFL Rank: 97
FS Rank: 3

a deal like that could have a cap hit as low as $3M this season.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:08 am 

I think it's way more likely the Steelers acquire a couple of guys after the draft, much like last year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
It won't happen because of the timing and salary cap.

Steelers have to clear enough cap space to make Bell an offer-- they have to have the available cap space when they offer the franchise tag.

Even if they let Bell walk, they're $3M over the cap, so they have to make cuts/restructures before doing anything. Then there's the whole waiting to hear from the league office if they get any relief from Shazier's contract cap hit. This will take time.

Tre Boston will probably be one of the first FAs to sign, and we'll probably sign one of the last.

My guess? They will clear cap space, sign Bell to too big a deal, sign a bottom tier FA at ILB and and call it a day until the draft. Kevin Pierre-Louis at 3 yrs, 9M would have been a good bet... right up until he was arrested last week for marijuana possession.

Marijuana you mean the devil's weed, wacky tabacky, reefer, mary jane, ganja, :o :o :o What is happening to todays youth :cry: :cry: SAD

Wow I just hope they Mr Pierre-Louis the help he needs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:19 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think it's way more likely the Steelers acquire a couple of guys after the draft, much like last year.

Exactly.

I also don't know why most people are assuming the restructures yesterday are for a Bell extension. Everything reported during the season and afterwards is that the Steelers plan to tag Bell and that they're not close on any extension. They have to have that room under the cap when they place him on the tag again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 pm 

I personally want nothing to do with Timmons. He has definitely lost his step(s) and as far as I'm concerned they pulled the plug at the right time releasing him. Not even for depth. I think they target a ILB as B2B states after the draft and likely roll with Mitchell one more season ending their contract obligations with him after the 18 season. Drafting a Safety in this years draft is I think priority. Secondary is the weakest link on this defense. Sparingly play your high draft pick Safety for a season while he's able to acclimate himself on ST's. Perhaps have him part of certain defensive schemes where he's not asked to think a lot and just react.

Some available ILB's currently...

Jonathon Bostic
Todd Davis
Preston Brown
Anthony Hictchens
Avery Williamson
Corey Nelson
Ben Heeney

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:02 pm 

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2018S.php

Please tell me the MM replacement is on that list

I can’t take anymore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:31 pm 

He may be long gone after the draft concludes but I take a long look at Terrence Brooks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:47 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Honestly? There really are no free agents on defense that I am interested in. ILBs and Safeties are very, very average. This year to me is really one of the worst free agency offseasons that I can remember. People always say there is gold in them there hills, but I don't see it, not this year, all I see is plenty of fool's gold.

In terms of the cap:

They could extend Haden and free up $6-7 million.
They could extend McDonald and free up $2 million.
Big Al signed that contract last year and has a $3 million roster bonus, they could restructure that 3 plus 2 of his base and and free up $3.33 million.

We will lose Hubbard and Gilbert is only under contract for two more years. They could give him an extension and free up perhaps $2-3 million.

Antonio Brown has a roster bonus of $6 million, they could restructure that, spread it out over 4 years but that gives us $4.5 million of relief this year.

Ben can sign a one year extension, they can take his $5 million roster bonus this year and say $5 million of his base and spread that out over 3 years, result, $6.67 million.

Add all of that up and that is $26-27 million, not counting that Decastro and Tuitt restructures. Adding them means we are up to $35 million if the Steelers followed my directions.

Then yeah, you throw in the cuts, Wilcox is due $3.125 million, even with a rookie draft pick or UDFA with displacement, you subtract that but it still comes out to $2.6 million saved.

Mitchell only saves us $5 million by cutting his base salary, he restructured twice and we have to account for those prorated portions left. But even if we draft a first round pick at safety at the end of the round, he would only have a cap hit of some $1 million. So cutting Mitchell and drafting a first round safety saves us $4 million, if we draft a safety in round 2 that savings would be $4.25 million.

So, cutting Mitchell and Wilcox and replacing them with a high round draft pick and lowly draft pick or UDFA saves you $6.85 million.

I am now up around $42 million.

Cut Willie Gay and his $1.75 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still is a savings of $1.2 million.
Cut Coty Sensabaugh and his $1.4 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still a savings of $850,000.
Cut Hayward-Bey and his $1.2 million, subtracting $555,000 for the, etc, a savings of $650,000.

That is another $2.7 million. Hey, I am almost up to $45 million!!!

The Steelers even with having to absorb Bell and Shazier's numbers are still going to be in decent shape this year. I see them signing their own, like Rosie Nix and maybe Boz and then holding tight until the 2nd and 3rd waves of free agency. People get too stoked for the opening days of free agency in March and forget that it happens in waves.

Players become available after the draft, after cuts. How did we get Joe Haden and Vance McDonald last season? We didn't sign them in early March did we? No, we picked them up in August.

What about the player escalators at least 2 players will receive in 2018? James and Bryant both receive them. Increasing their combined cap hit to $2.5Mil...
Do you try and offer C2's or do you absorb the cap hit and play them out?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:11 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Honestly? There really are no free agents on defense that I am interested in. ILBs and Safeties are very, very average. This year to me is really one of the worst free agency offseasons that I can remember. People always say there is gold in them there hills, but I don't see it, not this year, all I see is plenty of fool's gold.

In terms of the cap:

They could extend Haden and free up $6-7 million.
They could extend McDonald and free up $2 million.
Big Al signed that contract last year and has a $3 million roster bonus, they could restructure that 3 plus 2 of his base and and free up $3.33 million.

We will lose Hubbard and Gilbert is only under contract for two more years. They could give him an extension and free up perhaps $2-3 million.

Antonio Brown has a roster bonus of $6 million, they could restructure that, spread it out over 4 years but that gives us $4.5 million of relief this year.

Ben can sign a one year extension, they can take his $5 million roster bonus this year and say $5 million of his base and spread that out over 3 years, result, $6.67 million.

Add all of that up and that is $26-27 million, not counting that Decastro and Tuitt restructures. Adding them means we are up to $35 million if the Steelers followed my directions.

Then yeah, you throw in the cuts, Wilcox is due $3.125 million, even with a rookie draft pick or UDFA with displacement, you subtract that but it still comes out to $2.6 million saved.

Mitchell only saves us $5 million by cutting his base salary, he restructured twice and we have to account for those prorated portions left. But even if we draft a first round pick at safety at the end of the round, he would only have a cap hit of some $1 million. So cutting Mitchell and drafting a first round safety saves us $4 million, if we draft a safety in round 2 that savings would be $4.25 million.

So, cutting Mitchell and Wilcox and replacing them with a high round draft pick and lowly draft pick or UDFA saves you $6.85 million.

I am now up around $42 million.

Cut Willie Gay and his $1.75 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still is a savings of $1.2 million.
Cut Coty Sensabaugh and his $1.4 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still a savings of $850,000.
Cut Hayward-Bey and his $1.2 million, subtracting $555,000 for the, etc, a savings of $650,000.

That is another $2.7 million. Hey, I am almost up to $45 million!!!

The Steelers even with having to absorb Bell and Shazier's numbers are still going to be in decent shape this year. I see them signing their own, like Rosie Nix and maybe Boz and then holding tight until the 2nd and 3rd waves of free agency. People get too stoked for the opening days of free agency in March and forget that it happens in waves.

Players become available after the draft, after cuts. How did we get Joe Haden and Vance McDonald last season? We didn't sign them in early March did we? No, we picked them up in August.

What about the player escalators at least 2 players will receive in 2018? James and Bryant both receive them. Increasing their combined cap hit to $2.5Mil...
Do you try and offer C2's or do you absorb the cap hit and play them out?

James is an unathletic JAG that is a 3rd or 4 TE. No way would I ever offer him C2. They should be drafting his replacement. Bryant is a drug risk. He should be playing out this contract to prove he can stay clean. If so, then extend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:15 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I personally want nothing to do with Timmons. He has definitely lost his step(s) and as far as I'm concerned they pulled the plug at the right time releasing him. Not even for depth. I think they target a ILB as B2B states after the draft and likely roll with Mitchell one more season ending their contract obligations with him after the 18 season. Drafting a Safety in this years draft is I think priority. Secondary is the weakest link on this defense. Sparingly play your high draft pick Safety for a season while he's able to acclimate himself on ST's. Perhaps have him part of certain defensive schemes where he's not asked to think a lot and just react.

Some available ILB's currently...

Jonathon Bostic
Todd Davis
Preston Brown
Anthony Hictchens
Avery Williamson
Corey Nelson
Ben Heeney

We aren't winning a super bowl with Mike Mitchell as the starting free safety.... as such, he needs to be GONE this year and replaced with a veteran who will actually prevent big plays.

We have the money to do it. They just need to restructure guys. If its not done, its another example of buffoonery.

As far as Timmons goes, I disagree with him being a lost cause. I think he can give you solid work on run downs. He and Vince Williams give you a good sable of Buck linebackers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next