It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:21 pm 

955876 wrote:
Alualu is quality depth and an important piece of what should be a Dline rotation.

Mitchell & Gay could be replaced with traffic cones and we’d get the same results.

Those two must be replaced.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
TB wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
The league HAS to give them an exemption for Shazier. Otherwise horrible PR all around.

Shazier, Mike Mitchell, Wilcox and DHB frees up just over $18M. That's how you get the money to tag Bell.

Gay and Alualu is nearly $5M more. Easily restructure Ben and/or AB if there's a FA worth going after.

Cut everybody! :lol:

Alualu was great for us this year, he's going nowhere. Would be shocked if DHB is gone as well, and ultimately don't think they cut Mitchell either. They'll draft a safety and groom 'em for '19.

Hey, a guy who thinks like a Rooney!

Sadly I agree that’s what they will do with Mitchell. Art I Don’t Have 2!

Mitchell is going nowhere until they're confident they've got his replacement.

This isn't the time of year when you start creating more holes. The Steelers will shore up their holes as best as they can going into the draft.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:49 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
It won't happen because of the timing and salary cap.

Steelers have to clear enough cap space to make Bell an offer-- they have to have the available cap space when they offer the franchise tag.

Even if they let Bell walk, they're $3M over the cap, so they have to make cuts/restructures before doing anything. Then there's the whole waiting to hear from the league office if they get any relief from Shazier's contract cap hit. This will take time.

Tre Boston will probably be one of the first FAs to sign, and we'll probably sign one of the last.

My guess? They will clear cap space, sign Bell to too big a deal, sign a bottom tier FA at ILB and and call it a day until the draft. Kevin Pierre-Louis at 3 yrs, 9M would have been a good bet... right up until he was arrested last week for marijuana possession.

They have time to get the restructuring done on Ben and Brown for at least $10M. After that, cutting Gay, Wilcox, and Mitchell frees up another $10M. These arent hard moves to make. Tuitt and Villinueva can be restructured too. There is nearly $50M in creatable space if they want to go that far so I don’t buy all of the salary cap problem statements. They can grab a quality veteran with or without that Shazier exemption.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:32 pm 

They're now $10M under the cap, with today's restructuring.

Mitchell may get cut, but not before there is a replacement.

Bell is going to cost over $10M per, and I seriously doubt they're breaking up the band.

After today's maneuvering, if you cut Mitchell, Wilcox, & Gay AND extend Vance McDonald 2 years, you end up with:

$17,301,474 Without cutting Mitchell immediately, the number is: $11,511,474.

That's without re-signing Boswell, Eli Rigers, Ridley, Toussaint, Grimble, Canaday, or Chickillo.

If you can figure out a realistic way the number gets down and Lev Bell gets signed AND a decent FA S or ILB gets signed , I'm all ears.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
If you can figure out a realistic way the number gets down and Lev Bell gets signed AND a decent FA S or ILB gets signed , I'm all ears.

Are you counting Shazier? Because if they for some reason don't get an exemption, there will be an injury settlement. It's a business, and there's no way they can have Shazier count against the cap for $8M+.

Otherwise, they can push money out into future years until the cows come home. Cap space isn't really ever the question. It's always about how much you want to borrow from the future, and how much money each player is really worth.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Bell is going to cost over $10M per, and I seriously doubt they're breaking up the band.

After today's maneuvering, if you cut Mitchell, Wilcox, & Gay AND extend Vance McDonald 2 years, you end up with:

That's without re-signing Boswell, Eli Rigers, Ridley, Toussaint, Grimble, Canaday, or Chickillo.

Certainly not easy but doable.

If Bell is on a long term deal his cap hit is more in the 6 or 7M range in the first year.

Boswell, Rogers, Chickillo, Grimble, and Canaday shouldn't cost you more than 5M total. Don't bring back the RBs.

Any time a currently unsigned player is signed, you're also dropping about $500K for the player that gets bumped out of the top 51. Signing all of those guys means about 3M less of an impact.

That leaves you about 8M (plus another few million for the addtional players that will be bumped out of the top 51) for FA and the draft, which probably means you can get get one high quality FA at ILB or FS, or fill those positions with lower end FAs.

If we somehow get an exemption on Shazier it opens up a ton of options to improve the team.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 pm 

Honestly? There really are no free agents on defense that I am interested in. ILBs and Safeties are very, very average. This year to me is really one of the worst free agency offseasons that I can remember. People always say there is gold in them there hills, but I don't see it, not this year, all I see is plenty of fool's gold.

In terms of the cap:

They could extend Haden and free up $6-7 million.
They could extend McDonald and free up $2 million.
Big Al signed that contract last year and has a $3 million roster bonus, they could restructure that 3 plus 2 of his base and and free up $3.33 million.

We will lose Hubbard and Gilbert is only under contract for two more years. They could give him an extension and free up perhaps $2-3 million.

Antonio Brown has a roster bonus of $6 million, they could restructure that, spread it out over 4 years but that gives us $4.5 million of relief this year.

Ben can sign a one year extension, they can take his $5 million roster bonus this year and say $5 million of his base and spread that out over 3 years, result, $6.67 million.

Add all of that up and that is $26-27 million, not counting that Decastro and Tuitt restructures. Adding them means we are up to $35 million if the Steelers followed my directions.

Then yeah, you throw in the cuts, Wilcox is due $3.125 million, even with a rookie draft pick or UDFA with displacement, you subtract that but it still comes out to $2.6 million saved.

Mitchell only saves us $5 million by cutting his base salary, he restructured twice and we have to account for those prorated portions left. But even if we draft a first round pick at safety at the end of the round, he would only have a cap hit of some $1 million. So cutting Mitchell and drafting a first round safety saves us $4 million, if we draft a safety in round 2 that savings would be $4.25 million.

So, cutting Mitchell and Wilcox and replacing them with a high round draft pick and lowly draft pick or UDFA saves you $6.85 million.

I am now up around $42 million.

Cut Willie Gay and his $1.75 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still is a savings of $1.2 million.
Cut Coty Sensabaugh and his $1.4 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still a savings of $850,000.
Cut Hayward-Bey and his $1.2 million, subtracting $555,000 for the, etc, a savings of $650,000.

That is another $2.7 million. Hey, I am almost up to $45 million!!!

The Steelers even with having to absorb Bell and Shazier's numbers are still going to be in decent shape this year. I see them signing their own, like Rosie Nix and maybe Boz and then holding tight until the 2nd and 3rd waves of free agency. People get too stoked for the opening days of free agency in March and forget that it happens in waves.

Players become available after the draft, after cuts. How did we get Joe Haden and Vance McDonald last season? We didn't sign them in early March did we? No, we picked them up in August.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:57 pm 

seabs926 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Certainly not easy but doable.

If Bell is on a long term deal his cap hit is more in the 6 or 7M range in the first year.

Boswell, Rogers, Chickillo, Grimble, and Canaday shouldn't cost you more than 5M total. Don't bring back the RBs.

Any time a currently unsigned player is signed, you're also dropping about $500K for the player that gets bumped out of the top 51. Signing all of those guys means about 3M less of an impact.

That leaves you about 8M (plus another few million for the addtional players that will be bumped out of the top 51) for FA and the draft, which probably means you can get get one high quality FA at ILB or FS, or fill those positions with lower end FAs.

If we somehow get an exemption on Shazier it opens up a ton of options to improve the team.

They can sign one quality FA, and that is before they restructure Ben and Brown... and they still may yet restructure Villanueva. Thats an extra $10 M right there. Although I don't expect them to go for a big name edge player.

I see enough room being created for a high quality safety, a Timmons/Bowman level LB, and a Tony McDaniel/Ahtyba Rubin/Star Loutuleli type reserve NT.

Then when it is draft day, the weak areas that were exploited in the playoffs have already gotten some immediate help. You can focus day 1/2 on edge rushers and cover LBs/safety hybrids. You are free on Day 3 to take home run swings at reserve WR/RB/OL.

I think they can, will, and have to manufacture space to be ACTIVE in free agency, but not OVERACTIVE.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

They've got to figure out something with Shazier. You can't take that nearly $9 million cap hit for a guy who most likely isn't going to play again.

If the NFL doesn't give a salary cap exemption, the Steelers need to re-sign him. 3-4 year deal with no guaranteed money in the last two years. It would lower his cap hit around 5-6 million for this year, give him more money upfront now, and after next season if he makes the decision to retire they can spread out his dead money over the remaining years.

A Ben extension could help as well. His cap hit is currently over $22 million for this year and next. Maybe he does like what Brady did in 2013 and gives the hometown discount to free up needed cap space. Brady's extension in 2013 freed them up $8 million cap space that coming season, $7 million the next. That would be unexpected, but huge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:00 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Honestly? There really are no free agents on defense that I am interested in. ILBs and Safeties are very, very average. This year to me is really one of the worst free agency offseasons that I can remember. People always say there is gold in them there hills, but I don't see it, not this year, all I see is plenty of fool's gold.

In terms of the cap:

They could extend Haden and free up $6-7 million.
They could extend McDonald and free up $2 million.
Big Al signed that contract last year and has a $3 million roster bonus, they could restructure that 3 plus 2 of his base and and free up $3.33 million.

We will lose Hubbard and Gilbert is only under contract for two more years. They could give him an extension and free up perhaps $2-3 million.

Antonio Brown has a roster bonus of $6 million, they could restructure that, spread it out over 4 years but that gives us $4.5 million of relief this year.

Ben can sign a one year extension, they can take his $5 million roster bonus this year and say $5 million of his base and spread that out over 3 years, result, $6.67 million.

Add all of that up and that is $26-27 million, not counting that Decastro and Tuitt restructures. Adding them means we are up to $35 million if the Steelers followed my directions.

Then yeah, you throw in the cuts, Wilcox is due $3.125 million, even with a rookie draft pick or UDFA with displacement, you subtract that but it still comes out to $2.6 million saved.

Mitchell only saves us $5 million by cutting his base salary, he restructured twice and we have to account for those prorated portions left. But even if we draft a first round pick at safety at the end of the round, he would only have a cap hit of some $1 million. So cutting Mitchell and drafting a first round safety saves us $4 million, if we draft a safety in round 2 that savings would be $4.25 million.

So, cutting Mitchell and Wilcox and replacing them with a high round draft pick and lowly draft pick or UDFA saves you $6.85 million.

I am now up around $42 million.

Cut Willie Gay and his $1.75 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still is a savings of $1.2 million.
Cut Coty Sensabaugh and his $1.4 million, subtracting $555,000 for the player that replaces him, still a savings of $850,000.
Cut Hayward-Bey and his $1.2 million, subtracting $555,000 for the, etc, a savings of $650,000.

That is another $2.7 million. Hey, I am almost up to $45 million!!!

The Steelers even with having to absorb Bell and Shazier's numbers are still going to be in decent shape this year. I see them signing their own, like Rosie Nix and maybe Boz and then holding tight until the 2nd and 3rd waves of free agency. People get too stoked for the opening days of free agency in March and forget that it happens in waves.

Players become available after the draft, after cuts. How did we get Joe Haden and Vance McDonald last season? We didn't sign them in early March did we? No, we picked them up in August.

I don't completely agree on the free agent class this year.

There aren't any difference makers, but a guy like Lamarcus Joyner would look pretty good back there making actual plays on the ball for a change. And Timmons is solid depth so you only need to draft one ILB and not 2. And while you can still get a good NT into the hopper in round 5 or 7, it would be nice to snag a veteran as well and start experimenting with multiple new looks.

While we are at it, we could even think about a guy like Tank Carradine or Kareem Martin as a mid tier depth player on the edge. We rarely open a season without at least 5 or 6 edges on the roster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next