It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1533
Steelafan77 wrote:
DP39 wrote:
What about Davis at FS - his more natural position, and taking a look at Su'a Cravens for SS. My guess is he could be had for a late round pick via Washington. IF he checks out health wise, which I believe was done by Pitt MD, then he might be worth a flyer. Word is he's probably done in DC. Hell, he might be able to play Shazier's role? Is it worth a late round shot, even though he might be a bit of a head case (no pun intended)?

I agree with the Cravens idea. He applied for reinstatement yesterday I believe. What are the chances? Skins may be open to a trade: http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/red ... n-redskins

I would think between the Pitt MD handling him, Lynn Swann and JuJu we could probably get a pretty good read on the guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16546
I think who you want to be the starting SS and a S/LB hybrid are two different players, unless that S/LB hybrid is REALLY good in coverage going backwards... something it took Shazier 3 years to get good at.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13758
May not go over well, but I'd trade Bryant straight up for Cravens. There I said it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1533
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think who you want to be the starting SS and a S/LB hybrid are two different players, unless that S/LB hybrid is REALLY good in coverage going backwards... something it took Shazier 3 years to get good at.


Sure, that why I said some of our guys might have a good read on him.

I wouldn't mind them looking at Nigel Bradham (maybe $4-5m/per) for inside/outside LB either. He and Watt might be able to swap some, create different looks and still provide good coverage and pass rush.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 pm
Posts: 383
Location: Born and raised "Yinzer" living in OKC!
Steelafan77 wrote:
I personally want nothing to do with Timmons. He has definitely lost his step(s) and as far as I'm concerned they pulled the plug at the right time releasing him. Not even for depth. I think they target a ILB as B2B states after the draft and likely roll with Mitchell one more season ending their contract obligations with him after the 18 season. Drafting a Safety in this years draft is I think priority. Secondary is the weakest link on this defense. Sparingly play your high draft pick Safety for a season while he's able to acclimate himself on ST's. Perhaps have him part of certain defensive schemes where he's not asked to think a lot and just react.

Some available ILB's currently...

Jonathon Bostic
Todd Davis
Preston Brown
Anthony Hictchens
Avery Williamson
Corey Nelson
Ben Heeney


I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have a band-aid at ILB as a free agent. Lets be honest, we're not gonna replace Shazier, in the next two seasons, no matter what we do or who is available. I think I would rather have Derrick Johnson (Chiefs LB) as a band aid. 35 yrs old I know BUT; out with Deebo and in with Derrick. I think I would even take Derrick over losing something in a trade for Timmons.

I may be wrong but a 35 yr old LB SHOULDN'T command a high salary out of the Steelers cap range. Two yr contract and you have a band aid/insurance until this yrs 1st or 2nd round draft pick "becomes a man".

To me Derrick is kinda of a perfect fit at the moment. At the VERY LEAST, hes STILL a pretty BIG upgrade to our porous run defense. Plus, does he want to play for a SB or go to a team with cap abundance for the money?

Sign Derrick right now and then look to fix the hole at the safety position later but sometime before the draft. Can the Steelers swing Derrick Johnson (LB) to a decent salary and then go BIG, hard and strong at say Joyner (Safety)? I'm thinking, that would be sweet. Joyner the big FA signing they never make but really need this year AND Derrick Johnson, as a patch/band aid. BOTH huge roster holes/needs fixed, and before the draft!!!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22423126/kansas-city-chiefs-re-sign-long-star-derrick-johnson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1944
I think many of you are nuts for wanting Derrick Johnson over Timmons. No offense. Johnson is much OLDER than Lawrence Timmons. When we drafted Timmons he was a very young player, he just finished his 11th NFL season and is still 31 years old. Johnson? He is 35 years old.

Johnson has had a fine career but in KC they never really used him like we did with Timmons in coverage. We asked Timmons and before him James Farrior to run in coverage with fast athletic TEs and RBs and WRs and expected this great coverage. Johnson and any other big name ILB that you can name would probably look at videos of what our defense demanded of our ILBs in coverage and probably think to themselves that they were glad not to be in positions like that in coverage.

And yet Timmons and Farrior did the best they could and did as fine a job as one could expect. Timmons was also so damn durable.

I see Timmons having more in the tank than Johnson and see him being a perfect band aid for next season. He knows the team, the defense and you pair him with a rookie 1st or 2nd round ILB and that position is good to go for 2018. I do think Timmons will be cut by Miami and that we will pick him up and I think we may even still get a comp pick for him to boot.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:10 pm
Posts: 860
Nuts??? To want PFFs 5th ranked linebacker in coverage?
Nuts??? To want arguably the greatest team leader in Chiefs history for a team that has zero visible leaders.

Derrick Johnson can still play. He’d be an OUTSTANDING signing for a team with even a decent defense is playing in the Super Bowl. Hell no he’s not a long term solution that’s what the draft is for.

Lawrence Timmons on his best day wasn’t half as a good as DJ. Nothing nuts about wanting the better player and even past his prime it’s Johnson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 pm
Posts: 383
Location: Born and raised "Yinzer" living in OKC!
Don't get me wrong Scunge. Maybe I didn't word it right. Didn't mean to imply that I'd take Johnson over Timmons. I think it was 77 that laid out a good case why Timmons wouldn't get cut. That was a pretty big cap hit (dead money) he said Miami would have to eat. If the amounts are correct, I cant see them cutting Timmons loose.

I was looking at it more kill two birds one stone. I think Shazier injury leaves us with two HUGE needs at Safety and ILB. The Steelers NEVER even go BIG for one FA let alone two. However, the moves last year give me a sliver of hope. BUT, it was your breakdown of them shaving 45 million if they needed too, that gives me hope for at least one big money FA.

I thought with Johnson hitting the market it may be a way for the Steelers to fill both "needs" with only one "money" signing. I don't think Johnson would cost what Timmons or a younger free agent would and I don't want them to give up draft picks.

I'll actually be going to go to bed every night dreaming I'll wake up one morning to read the Steelers signed CB Trumain Johnson, Safety Joyner and a young up and coming stud ILB.

I'm really disappointed in Burns. Watching him run away from a tackle, way too MANY times this season, I lost hope. I don't think that can be fixed. If I'm right, that's three HUGE holes we have to fill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:32 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16546
SteelDrama wrote:
Nuts??? To want PFFs 5th ranked linebacker in coverage?
Nuts??? To want arguably the greatest team leader in Chiefs history for a team that has zero visible leaders.

Derrick Johnson can still play. He’d be an OUTSTANDING signing for a team with even a decent defense is playing in the Super Bowl. Hell no he’s not a long term solution that’s what the draft is for.

Lawrence Timmons on his best day wasn’t half as a good as DJ. Nothing nuts about wanting the better player and even past his prime it’s Johnson

couldn't have said it better

However, the Steelers haven't signed a defensive FA over the age of 30 since before Colbert

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 105
Steelersfan wrote:
Don't get me wrong Scunge. Maybe I didn't word it right. Didn't mean to imply that I'd take Johnson over Timmons. I think it was 77 that laid out a good case why Timmons wouldn't get cut. That was a pretty big cap hit (dead money) he said Miami would have to eat. If the amounts are correct, I cant see them cutting Timmons loose.

I was looking at it more kill two birds one stone. I think Shazier injury leaves us with two HUGE needs at Safety and ILB. The Steelers NEVER even go BIG for one FA let alone two. However, the moves last year give me a sliver of hope. BUT, it was your breakdown of them shaving 45 million if they needed too, that gives me hope for at least one big money FA.

I thought with Johnson hitting the market it may be a way for the Steelers to fill both "needs" with only one "money" signing. I don't think Johnson would cost what Timmons or a younger free agent would and I don't want them to give up draft picks.

I'll actually be going to go to bed every night dreaming I'll wake up one morning to read the Steelers signed CB Trumain Johnson, Safety Joyner and a young up and coming stud ILB.

I'm really disappointed in Burns. Watching him run away from a tackle, way too MANY times this season, I lost hope. I don't think that can be fixed. If I'm right, that's three HUGE holes we have to fill.


Miami takes no cap hit cutting Timmons. His guaranteed money was voided due to his suspension. He WILL be cut.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13758
From September 2017.
Quote:
Back in March, the Dolphins signed the once ultra-reliable linebacker to a two-year $12 million contract with a whopping $11 million in guarantees. $5.5 million of those guarantees were paid in signing bonuses that are prorated, meaning the team’s cap gets hit by half of those signing bonuses in each year of his contract. In addition, Timmons’ contract is carrying $5.45 million in base salary for the 2018 season, $4.5 million of which was previously guaranteed. With those guarantees now voided, the Dolphins will have opportunity to cut bait with their recently acquired linebacker for a cost of just $2.75 million in dead cap. https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/9/29/ ... suspension
Still don't want him back.

Side Note: There's speculation Brian Allen could be moved to safety. Thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1944
Yes, NUTS!!!

KC's defense sucked last season. I don't care what PFF has to say, always take what they say with a grain of salt. As the games went on KC was beginning to limit DJ's snap count, had a lot of games early on where he was 95-100%, but then found himself getting less and less snaps and players like Kevin Pierre-Louis getting more and more snaps. KC was trying to find a way to limit DJ's snaps on the field because he was becoming a liability.

Timmons always kept himself in fine shape and he will be a nice pickup once Miami cuts him. I am not advocating him necessarily being a starter but we need that 3rd ILB to be better than Sean Spence or LJ Fort. Timmons on a one year vet minimum contract to be that veteran ILB and to help that new rookie ILB would be a good/great move.

And Colbert/Tomlin's history is to bring back former players into the fold. Larry Foote, Willie Gay, Matt Spaeth, James Harrison, etc.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:25 pm
Posts: 354
Timmons would be a big improvement over Vince Williams. Pairing him with a speed ILB and moving Vince back to first off the bench would improve our situation greatly. Timmons can call the defense, solving a lot of our communication problems from last year. Depth with Vince and Dirty Red would be better as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11617
jewelsongs wrote:
Timmons would be a big improvement over Vince Williams. Pairing him with a speed ILB and moving Vince back to first off the bench would improve our situation greatly. Timmons can call the defense, solving a lot of our communication problems from last year. Depth with Vince and Dirty Red would be better as well.


Honestly, the Timmons that played here TWO YEARS AGO was not as good as VWill was this season.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11617
Scunge wrote:
Timmons on a one year vet minimum contract to be that veteran ILB and to help that new rookie ILB would be a good/great move.


This is correct. I also think Timmons is smart enough and athletic enough to play both ILB spots. VWill is fine - the real problem is Dud Dupree and replacing Shazier.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:19 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16546
Brian Allen would be a fine DB at any position... if they could get him on the field. I think he had a lot of safety traits and especially would work as that dime LB role that Willie Gay played last year.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13758
Quote:
In any event, they will likely part ways with the 10-year veteran and seek a safety in free agency or select one high in the draft — or both. Each of the past two starters at free safety — Mitchell and Ryan Clark — were signed in free agency, so it is possible the Steelers could pursue that route again. Even if they do, they will consider a position switch for Sean Davis — moving him from strong safety to free safety — because they feel his range is better suited to that position.

Also, in the back of their minds is the possibility cornerback Brian Allen, their fifth-round pick in 2017, could be moved to safety — a position some NFL scouts projected him to play because of his size (6-3, 215) and speed. The Steelers believe Allen is better-suited at cornerback and intend to keep him there. But that could change based on which players they draft or sign in free agency. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1802150130
It's not a stretch to think they might be considering this as an optional idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4379
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Brian Allen would be a fine DB at any position... if they could get him on the field. I think he had a lot of safety traits and especially would work as that dime LB role that Willie Gay played last year.


Yes, considering the stellar play from the defensive secondary this past season, I can understand why it was hard to get him on the field.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:30 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16546
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
In any event, they will likely part ways with the 10-year veteran and seek a safety in free agency or select one high in the draft — or both. Each of the past two starters at free safety — Mitchell and Ryan Clark — were signed in free agency, so it is possible the Steelers could pursue that route again. Even if they do, they will consider a position switch for Sean Davis — moving him from strong safety to free safety — because they feel his range is better suited to that position.

Also, in the back of their minds is the possibility cornerback Brian Allen, their fifth-round pick in 2017, could be moved to safety — a position some NFL scouts projected him to play because of his size (6-3, 215) and speed. The Steelers believe Allen is better-suited at cornerback and intend to keep him there. But that could change based on which players they draft or sign in free agency. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1802150130
It's not a stretch to think they might be considering this as an optional idea.

I think Allen is going to emerge as the top backup to Joe Haden, but in the meantime, he should be taking Willie Gay's dime role. You want a guy with half a prayer vs Gronk, Allen is certainly a possibility.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:25 pm
Posts: 354
Kodiak wrote:
jewelsongs wrote:
Timmons would be a big improvement over Vince Williams. Pairing him with a speed ILB and moving Vince back to first off the bench would improve our situation greatly. Timmons can call the defense, solving a lot of our communication problems from last year. Depth with Vince and Dirty Red would be better as well.


Honestly, the Timmons that played here TWO YEARS AGO was not as good as VWill was this season.


Possibly, but I am thinking more about calling the defense. The Steelers failed miserably on that after Shazier went down. Gay did the best job, but was a real problem in coverage. If Timmons can solve that, I would be happy.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BarryFoster, bradshaw2ben, Google [Bot], KC, stillthere, Will-the-Shake and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group