It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dump Mike Mitchell for Tre Boston
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 pm 

We won a super bowl with Kendall Simmons, Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, Willie Colon, & freaking Darnell Stapleton. I think it's unlikely Mike Mitchell is a Super Bowl-quality S, but impossible to rule out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
We won a super bowl with Kendall Simmons, Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, Willie Colon, & freaking Darnell Stapleton. I think it's unlikely Mike Mitchell is a Super Bowl-quality S, but impossible to rule out.

That really was a pathetic unit.

Nothing will convince me that Mitchell fits in anymore. He can play as a box safety somewhere else. He makes no plays on the ball, and he doesnt tackle well down the field. He is a one trick pony - guy can draw PI calls and generate bulletin board material. Time to move on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 am 

To be fair, that's actually two tricks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 am 

Mitchell is a SS that can’t cover a TE or slot, so he can’t play in the box... but he also is late in zone coverage which makes him ineffective as a FS.

Davis is probably more FS, although he, too, struggles in zone, so he’s forced to play out of position at SS, where his lack of build makes him sucsceptible to getting run over and out positioned by TEs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm 

All to true, B2B, funny how the times I have seen Davis playing deep and is able to read the QB and see routes develop, playing centerfield so to speak, he was able to make plays on the ball. This guy is supposed to be smart, speaks 3 languages, and I know he has the requisite speed and athletic ability, yet the Steelers are playing him out of position. He is not an in the box safety, not a beastly run stuffer. You put him back on the backend of the secondary and I think you have a much different and better player.

Also, it is amazing to me the player that Mike Mitchell was that last year in Carolina. They actually played him close to the line of scrimmage, used him a lot to blitz and get sacks.

This is what Mitchell did that year for Carolina, 72 tackles, 4 INTs, 2 FF, 10 passes defensed, and 4 sacks in just 14 games started. What the hell happened to that playmaker? I have always thought that the Steelers never really put Mitchell in the best position to be successful. Of course now injuries and time have taken their toll on Mitchell and he has fallen considerably as a player. Even so, something is wrong when you clearly have players like Davis and Mitchell miscast and playing out of position. Hopefully, maybe Bradley makes a difference and brings a fresh set of eyes and perspective and questions why these players have been miscast in their roles.

In terms of Jesse James and/or Bryant getting some sort of escalators/money based on performance or playing time? That is news to me. Both are going to have a hard time/rough sledding with Vance McDonald and JuJu getting more and more comfortable with Ben. James and Bryant are living on borrowed time, I can see both being off the team in 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 pm 

MJB, I didn't endorse Mitchell staying on the roster. I foresee him remaining because that's Steeler way. Not because Mitchell deserves to stay. As far as Timmons goes. I think I read somewhere in here he's likely to play out what's left of his career in Miami. No way is he a tradeable player with the $8+ Mil he's penciled in to make this season. Miami won't cut him either as they'll still be on the hook for most of his salary. I don't see Timmons leaving Miami. The other names I listed are players that will likely be gone as well. The Steelers will not be first in line for anything FA related. They'll wait it out as usual and go slumming off the scrap heap. I agree with your premise of replacing Shazier and adding depth. That being such a tall order I'm not sure how they'll accomplish it. Speculating they'll draft a guy and likely bring in some tryout players. Perhaps they'll get extremely lucky one of the guys that are already on the roster will blow up the scene and earn his right onto the roster. Wait and see mode.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 pm 

If you play Mike Mitchell in the box, you'd better have a hell of a pass rush because Mitchell isn't covering anyone for very long. Using MM like a LB, it sort of works.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm 

What about Davis at FS - his more natural position, and taking a look at Su'a Cravens for SS. My guess is he could be had for a late round pick via Washington. IF he checks out health wise, which I believe was done by Pitt MD, then he might be worth a flyer. Word is he's probably done in DC. Hell, he might be able to play Shazier's role? Is it worth a late round shot, even though he might be a bit of a head case (no pun intended)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 pm 

If you play like MM you'll have the whole fan base booing your ass and wanting you gone. Every opposing offense you face would be salivating all over themselves anticipating the long plays they know you'd take horrible angles to and then pathetically miss the tackle anyway.

I agree with the assessment that Davis is being played out of 'natural' position. I believe Davis was a corner in college as well as played some safety. Says FS to me all day long. Where Davis has played he really hasn't done terrible either. Some of that was coaching and some of it is God given talent. That said, I agree the Steelers have to lock up a SS/ILB hybrid type as has been discussed ad nauseam around these parts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 pm 

DP39 wrote:
What about Davis at FS - his more natural position, and taking a look at Su'a Cravens for SS. My guess is he could be had for a late round pick via Washington. IF he checks out health wise, which I believe was done by Pitt MD, then he might be worth a flyer. Word is he's probably done in DC. Hell, he might be able to play Shazier's role? Is it worth a late round shot, even though he might be a bit of a head case (no pun intended)?

I agree with the Cravens idea. He applied for reinstatement yesterday I believe. What are the chances? Skins may be open to a trade: http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/red ... n-redskins

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next