It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Update: Karl Dunbar hired as new DL coach
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:12 am 

If he can get healthy sure it’s good news. Back injury sounds scary to me, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:20 am 

A back injury is never good news.
That said, I’d take that report with a grain of salt(Tunch and Wolf :roll: ). It seems to be a Steelers staple that every time a player doesn’t live up to expectations, all of a sudden it’s due to some mysterious injury. To be honest, Hargrave wasn’t all that good in 2016 either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Now..., if they could just get some decent damned LB'er coaching on the staff I think this defense will begin to shape up. I too like the Dunbar hire.

I'm sure they'll bring another ex-DC to coach the LB's. John Pagano....Dean Pees? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:51 am 

R S wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Now..., if they could just get some decent damned LB'er coaching on the staff I think this defense will begin to shape up. I too like the Dunbar hire.

I'm sure they'll bring another ex-DC to coach the LB's. John Pagano....Dean Pees? :lol:

I would take either at this point. Exactly what has Porter [<especially] and Olsavsky contributed lately? There needs to be a fresh set of eyes IMO.
steelmann58 wrote:
Steelfan do you think they still might be looking to make a move with the Olb coaches. I still hope they add a qb coach
I honestly don't believe they're even in the market for LB'ers position coaches. That said, I didn't think they would hire a new DLine position coach either so anything is possible. I just can't help but notice how these new hires are all related to someone on the staff or within the franchise. Nepotism is not an issue in the Steelers organization.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 am 

FC wrote:

Thanks for posting these FC. I think that we tend to underestimate the value of position coaches and we tend to focus on coordinators.

These videos to me show the importance of position coaches. In college, I spent 80%+ of my time with the position coaches and I would assume that it is the same in the NFL. They have a huge impact in terms of teaching technique, correct footwork and hand placement, route running, positioning DBs etc.

I love to see those videos and I question what Porter does with the OLBs.

Looks to be a good hire.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
That said, I’d take that report with a grain of salt(Tunch and Wolf :roll: ). It seems to be a Steelers staple that every time a player doesn’t live up to expectations, all of a sudden it’s due to some mysterious injury. To be honest, Hargrave wasn’t all that good in 2016 either.

Yeah man Tunch and Wolf know nothing about the team. You clearly are better connected than they are to the team they work for. Despite Wolf doing a radio show with Hargrave, I'm sure he doesn't know if the kid is hurt or not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

Yeah man Tunch and Wolf know nothing about the team. You clearly are better connected than they are to the team they work for. Despite Wolf doing a radio show with Hargrave, I'm sure he doesn't know if the kid is hurt or not.

Those two guys are company mouthpieces...put out exactly what they are told to put out. And I know that you know that.
“Better connected” or not....who’s to say.

Post subject: Pens vs Stars
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 pm 

Do it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 pm 

I love this hire. I do have an issue most of the time about hiring former players but not so with Dunbar. He is not so indoctrinated into the Dick LeBeau 3-4 defense, he is not so blinded.

Why is that? Because in his NFL coaching career he has coached in 4-3 defenses predominantly.

In Minnesota from 2006-2011. They ran a 4-3. Everyone will talk of Kevin Williams and Pat Williams the two DTs. But don't forget that they had Ray Edwards who had 16.5 sacks his last two seasons with the Vikings and then left as a free agent. In the 2009 playoffs, he had 4 sacks in those 2 games. They also had a guy named Jared Allen, maybe you heard of him, Dunbar saw him collect 62 sacks in the 4 years he coached him.

Yeah, Tomlin was with Dunbar for one year in 2006 but then Karl was able to coach with Leslie Frasier, a longtime coach of the 4-3 defense.

Even with his time with the Jets, 2012-2014, and with the Bills, 2015, yes, officially some have them listed as playing 3-4 defenses, but not really. The Jets would use Calvin Pace or Sheldon Richardson as one of the OLBs, with Buffalo, Jerry Hughes, is not and has never been an OLB. I get so tired when people throw up these other 3-4 defenses and say hey nothing wrong with our 3-4, look at them.

But the point with Dunbar, and what I have wanted for the past couple years, is an influx of new coaches that have familiarity, have expertise in 4-3 defenses. Our old 3-4 defense is not cutting it anymore, we need to move on from it. Hiring Dunbar, phasing out Mitchell is a long overdue step that had to be done.

I don't care what people say, I am going to single handedly will this team into a 4-3 defense!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:32 pm 

FC wrote:
86n96 wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
they need to add a QB coach

Why?

If you find the right guy...The right fit.
Its another set of eyes.
Its a buffer between the OC and QB...Which at times is needed when its no longer needed you need a new quarterback or coordinator

The right fit...that's the big one. 7's not known for his compatibility. Is Leftwich available now that BA retired?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:17 am 

I think Fitcher needs to focus on the OC Job and bring in a QB coach to help him out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:57 am 

I like this Dunbar/Mitchell switch up
A bit bored by the Bradley hire

I want to see someone that will challenge the teams ideas and status quo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am 

Gonzo wrote:
I like this Dunbar/Mitchell switch up
A bit bored by the Bradley hire

I want to see someone that will challenge the teams ideas and status quo

You'd have to get rid of Tomlin and his whole staff of assistants to do that. Obviously that's not going to happen so take whatever you can get. Stewart, Bradley and Dunbar is a step in the right direction, right? I agree with 58 they should look into a QB coach. I believe Byron Leftwich was QB coach in AZ. Once Arians left I think Leftwich was looking for a job. He may be a candidate. Also Batch is still hanging around the club these days. Perhaps he could be a candidate too?

Post subject: Re: Karl Dunbar in negotiations to be new Steelers DL coach
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 pm 

blu wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
So now we are going to have Tomlin, Mitchell & Butler as the defensive coordinator trio. Isn't that like having too many head cooks in the kitchen?

Depends. Are we talking head chefs or McDonalds fry cooks?

Great Poast !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 pm 

R S wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

Why aim low? Maybe Jason Gildon is waiting in the wings?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm 

86n96 wrote:
The right fit...that's the big one. 7's not known for his compatibility. Is Leftwich available now that BA retired?

Thank God, someone who can help Ben with his release!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 pm 

as I've said a million times.Peezy is Tomlin's boy. They hang out at the kids high school games, harass refs, block other parents views and have cursing fits in the locker room. Peezy ain't going anywhere if he doesn't want to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
blu wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
So now we are going to have Tomlin, Mitchell & Butler as the defensive coordinator trio. Isn't that like having too many head cooks in the kitchen?

Depends. Are we talking head chefs or McDonalds fry cooks?

Great Poast !

Just for the record, i never said what you quoted me as saying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:

Sorry, I was dealing with the stupid 3 quote limit and messed up the editing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:53 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Sorry, I was dealing with the stupid 3 quote limit and messed up the editing

no worries