It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Here Cometh The Defensive Coaching Changes: Lake Out
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:34 am 

Scunge wrote:
Good. I want to see more shakeup on the defensive side of the coaching. John Mitchell. Don't give me that bullshit that he is a great coach. I remember a story where Cam Heyward went to Tomlin to get his blessing to spend time in the offseason learning how to be a better pass rusher at a former NFL players camp, and wondered to myself, why does he have to do that? Why can't Mitchell teach his players everything they need to know?

I look at the emergence of Cam as a pass rusher this season and can't really see Mitchell getting any credit for it. Cam was hungry for knowledge and skill, of techniques and he had to look elsewhere to get that knowledge, and look, once he got that coaching, he produced a 12 sack season. That is pretty damning to me. Mitchell needs to go, too mired in the 3-4, we need a defensive line coach that can teach our players how to pass rush and not just be two gap defensive linemen.

I don't want to see any more former players hired. They all have expertise in a 3-4 and we need to get away from that defense. They need to start bringing in more 4-3 guys. We need a defensive back coach that knows how to teach players man to man coverages yes, but we need our players to get more fundamentally sound from a tackling standpoint too. I would love to see us hire an old veteran defensive backs coach, we need to hire a Richard Mann type for the secondary.

Quote:
Alex Kozora

@Alex_Kozora
7m7 minutes ago
More
Waking up to news of Karl Dunbar interested in Steelers DL job. Idea of John Mitchell retiring is crushing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:37 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Like when he ran off Bobby April? I beg to differ.

The genius of Joe Walton?

at least we didnt get 5 years of walton like we did of haley..cowher fixed it right away with chan gailey..bobby april wanted big dollars at the time if i recall...big dollars for a ST coach?? he correctly showed him the door

I never heard any BS about salary. He's bounced around every since. Our ST have been ass every since. So no, it wasn't a correct decision by any measure unless you are a Cower apologist.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Good. I want to see more shakeup on the defensive side of the coaching. John Mitchell. Don't give me that bullshit that he is a great coach. I remember a story where Cam Heyward went to Tomlin to get his blessing to spend time in the offseason learning how to be a better pass rusher at a former NFL players camp, and wondered to myself, why does he have to do that? Why can't Mitchell teach his players everything they need to know?

I look at the emergence of Cam as a pass rusher this season and can't really see Mitchell getting any credit for it. Cam was hungry for knowledge and skill, of techniques and he had to look elsewhere to get that knowledge, and look, once he got that coaching, he produced a 12 sack season. That is pretty damning to me. Mitchell needs to go, too mired in the 3-4, we need a defensive line coach that can teach our players how to pass rush and not just be two gap defensive linemen.

I don't want to see any more former players hired. They all have expertise in a 3-4 and we need to get away from that defense. They need to start bringing in more 4-3 guys. We need a defensive back coach that knows how to teach players man to man coverages yes, but we need our players to get more fundamentally sound from a tackling standpoint too. I would love to see us hire an old veteran defensive backs coach, we need to hire a Richard Mann type for the secondary.

Scunge....good call on this, now moving forward.

Is Karl Dunbar a good D-Line Coach and does this possibly mean a switch to a 4-3 Defense?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 pm 

Alabama runs 3-4, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:05 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Alabama runs 3-4, doesn't it?

do not let facts get in the way of an obsession :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm 

Corey Raymond is mentioned on a site as a possibility for DB coach. Not sure if he is considered or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 pm 

Raymond would be a great hire....He is ahead of the game when it comes to coaching technique.

He is another fiery personality

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm 

FC wrote:
He is another fiery personality
Great. Maybe he'll light a fire under some of these asses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 pm 

Joe Walton was never OC under Cowher.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm 

#Steelers hired UCLA Defensive Coordinator Tom Bradley as their Defensive Back Coach

Twitter: James Layton

Here is our new DB Coach.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 pm 

Hopefully he be good but needed better players

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:12 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
Hopefully he be good but needed better players

Sometimes good players only need to be coached better.