It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: GM Board Draft Announcement 2018
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
By the way, Greek, the only QBs in the draft I've actually liked to be great were:

Marino
Elway
Kordell
Ben
Rivers
Mahomes

I did okay. Kordell had some moments where it looked like he was going to be a superstar. Just never cleared the hump and got jerked around a little with the parade of OCs/being ahead of his time. Like, how good would young Kordell be in an 2018 era offense?

Oh i wasnt implying you dont do great, you know your stuff come draft time, just a friendly jab at you my man. We shall see on Mahomes, i do like him even alot but not as sold as you are on him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm 

SP wrote:
Bidding is hot and heavy for the first overall pick. Don’t miss out!

That was actually a pretty funny Seinfeld episode.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
By the way, Greek, the only QBs in the draft I've actually liked to be great were:

Marino
Elway
Kordell
Ben
Rivers
Mahomes

I did okay. Kordell had some moments where it looked like he was going to be a superstar. Just never cleared the hump and got jerked around a little with the parade of OCs/being ahead of his time. Like, how good would young Kordell be in an 2018 era offense?

Oh i wasnt implying you dont do great, you know your stuff come draft time, just a friendly jab at you my man. We shall see on Mahomes, i do like him even alot but not as sold as you are on him.

Btw im being a pain in your ass going after Tomlin so ill save my comments on Kordell :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Like, how good would young Kordell be in an 2018 era offense?

Not very. He’d still be dumb, mentally weak, and a very inaccurate passer...
Today’s new style offenses need a QB to be in control, make decisions on the fly, and throw quick in to tight windows. All things that Kordell sucked at!
The guy was a bum then...he’d be a bum now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm 

Kordell couldn’t play in the modern NFL because he couldn’t complete a check down. Seriously, the worst part of his game was short passses. He’d routinely skip them three yards in front of the receivers feet. .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm 

Kordell's kryptonite was definitely the short out pattern.

But that guy could just run RPOs and PA RPOs for deep ball all night and he would have been just fine. They tried desperately to make him into a pocket passer and he was terrible at that. Running the option, Kordell was top 5 all time in college. I saw his whole career there and he was out of this world. Ran a hand-timed 4.1 at altitude. Could throw it 80 yards, outrun anyone on any college team in his era, never took a shot running it because he had that little wiggle at the last second. You guys can knock him all you want, but he won some games, he came damn close to winning MVP in 97. 5 GWD, 4 4thQ comebacks, 21 passing TDs, 2nd on the team in rushing yards, 11 rushing TDs. For comparison, Neil O'Donnell's best year ('95) he had only 17 passing TDs.

Of course, once I saw him play WR, I was sold that a move would have been great for him... but not meant to be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:40 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

But that guy could just run RPOs and PA RPOs for deep ball all night and he would have been just fine. They tried desperately to make him into a pocket passer and he was terrible at that. Running the option, Kordell was top 5 all time in college. I saw his whole career there and he was out of this world. Ran a hand-timed 4.1 at altitude. Could throw it 80 yards, outrun anyone on any college team in his era, never took a shot running it because he had that little wiggle at the last second. You guys can knock him all you want, but he won some games, he came damn close to winning MVP in 97. 5 GWD, 4 4thQ comebacks, 21 passing TDs, 2nd on the team in rushing yards, 11 rushing TDs. For comparison, Neil O'Donnell's best year ('95) he had only 17 passing TDs.

Of course, once I saw him play WR, I was sold that a move would have been great for him... but not meant to be.

But you have to be a pocket passer to win the super bowl. Kordell wasn't, and he wasn't ever going to win a super bowl. All that athleticism is great, but when push comes to shove, when there's two minutes on the clock in the super bowl and you need a TD to win, you better be able to pass accurately and read defenses, and I don't think Kordell was ever going to be that guy.

Or should I say, when you're down by 7 at home in the fourth quarter of the AFCCG against the Patriots, you better be able to pass accurately rather than, say, throw an untimely INT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:07 am 

No doubt, Kordell wasn't a Super Bowl capable QB. I'm just saying, he would have been better in this era (or, say, 5 years ago era) than in the late 90s NFL. I think he could do what Blake Bortles is doing, for instance-- and probably better than Bortles is doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
No doubt, Kordell wasn't a Super Bowl capable QB. I'm just saying, he would have been better in this era (or, say, 5 years ago era) than in the late 90s NFL. I think he could do what Blake Bortles is doing, for instance-- and probably better than Bortles is doing it.

Kordell's performance in that 7-6 win over the Pete Carroll Pats was Bortley.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 pm 

Miami is willing to trade Tannehill and some late round picks to move up.

PM me if interested.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

If I remember correctly, it was Kordell himself that insisted he was a pocket passer. And of course, his daddy, the great Cahr, gave him what he wanted. Talk about a creepy coach/QB relationship...

I always thought Korky would make a great RB. Good size, outstanding speed, and strong and as hell. “Run Forrest run!”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 pm 

I think maybe you speak of Kordell talking about how he was trying to prove he could do what they wanted... but early in his career, they beat his natural style out of him instead of building around his strengths... which were many. I do think Kordell was a sensitive type-- flourished with encouragement and wilted from criticism.

Still:
• the only players in team history with more TD passes are named Bradshaw and Roethlisberger
• his 11 rushing TDs were 5th most in any season of team history
• 11th in team history in scoring by non-kicker

Not a bust.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:14 pm 

The slash role, was absolutley perfect for Kordell, more WR and less QB imo. You werent winning shit with Kordell as a QB1 imo. To me he is the ultimate example of how good a coach Cowher was and the coaching hires he made.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
The slash role, was absolutley perfect for Kordell, more WR and less QB imo. You werent winning shit with Kordell as a QB1 imo. To me he is the ultimate example of how good a coach Cowher was and the coaching hires he made.

In a vacuum, most people said "you ain't winning shit with Nick Foles at the helm." Get a good, creative offensive mind that uses his strengths and finds a way to minimize his weaknesses, add a good defense and a couple of skill players, and maybe you've got something. Put Kordell in an offense that makes creative use of RPO and zone read concepts, adapt your style to his rather than attempt to jam him into the wrong system, and who knows?

The other thing you can't take away from Kordell, he was a durable sumbitch. Barely ever missed a game to injury. Compare that to almost every other zone-read starter/running QB since. Even when I was sick of it and wanted him out, I knew damn well it wouldn't be because he was hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:03 pm 

Ice wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

In a vacuum, most people said "you ain't winning shit with Nick Foles at the helm." Get a good, creative offensive mind that uses his strengths and finds a way to minimize his weaknesses, add a good defense and a couple of skill players, and maybe you've got something. Put Kordell in an offense that makes creative use of RPO and zone read concepts, adapt your style to his rather than attempt to jam him into the wrong system, and who knows?

The other thing you can't take away from Kordell, he was a durable sumbitch. Barely ever missed a game to injury. Compare that to almost every other zone-read starter/running QB since. Even when I was sick of it and wanted him out, I knew damn well it wouldn't be because he was hurt.

^^^ THIS sums it up

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:52 am 

Kordell IMO was a very good WR ... incredibly smooth and strong runner
He should have stayed a slash. He would have had a long fruitful career IMO
He was great in that multi dimensioned role

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:49 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Agree - especially about the WR comments. That Chicago game when they couldn’t cover him - he was unbelievable. He could have been an amazing WR in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:30 am 

Don't forget, draft starts Monday. Tomorrow I will send out a text confirmation. If you don't get it, it means I don't have your number.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm 

Jarvis Landry is on the market.

PM me any realistic offers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 pm 

Stating the obvious, but Steelers are exploring options for 1,28.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:21 pm 

Okay, so I think I have everyone's phone/text or twitter DM, except for sgtrobo. Waiting to hear back from him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Okay, so I think I have everyone's phone/text or twitter DM, except for sgtrobo. Waiting to hear back from him.

Are we really starting tomorrow? Seems early.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 am 

SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Are we really starting tomorrow? Seems early.

We ask this question every year and every year my answer is the same:

We have started for several years on the day after the combine. IIRC, we're even later than last year.

We then have a second draft starting near the end of pro days.

I feel like that's a pretty good balance-- first draft is a little more all over the place and draft 2 is done with more info.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am 

I'll reiterate the offer of Nick Foles. Easier, safer and actually cheaper than betting a high pick on, say, Rudolph.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:25 pm 

Lots of trade talks for the #1 overall pick. Any final offers? Looking to finalize the move tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next