It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Preseason Game 1 Post Game Thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:36 pm 

Steeledge wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
we have 3 year window at this point and who knows if the steelers don't find a QB that falls to them in a future draft, but i do like Mason. It's hard to find two hall of fame QB .

Montana / Young
Favre / Rodgers

It's hard, yes, but not unprecedented...

At any rate, it's WAAAYYYY too early to tell with Mason.
He's much better and more of a fit to stand in for Ben than Dobbs, and with much less experience.
...that's all I need to know at this point...

Colts could have gone Elway/Manning/Luck if Elway had not decided he would just play baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:12 pm 

Thing is, Rudolph will be a UFA in 3 years. Ben plans to play at least 3 more years. So things could be dicey.

Although maybe you work out a 3-yr deal when Rudolph is an RFA that bumps his pay if he's the starter. But he's going to want a shot to start at some point, and then test free agency if Ben is year-to-year.

Anyway, potentially challenging contract situation and Colbert has always seemed a bit of a dinosaur coming up with creative structures to address unique situations.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:33 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Lynch wrote:
They had not yet acquired the Switzinator. Holton is not making the 53.

Ummm, yeah, they already had Switz for a full year. Rogers got his extension only about 5 months ago.

Holton plays teams. Switz won't get a hat on Sundays (which will probably take the fun out of wearing his jersey, amIrite?) because backup punt returners don't dress.

Well I'll be damned, I guess they were gonna hedge their bets anywhere they could with the loss of AB.... Holton will be cut for sure though, and Switz will not only get a helmet each and every single week, but play a major role on O.

TD:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:37 pm 

I rewatched Hodges twice now against Tampa. I liked what I saw.

Some of you think he has a rocket for an arm but he really only aired it out a few times and one was an overthrow and the other fluttered and was nearly picked. He is accurate on short and intermediate passes but I want to see his long ball before I will agree about his arm strength.
Some of his passes on out routes weren't good spirals but he does have small hands. He was fairly accurate on most of his other passes.
The broken-down screen play to Snell was a beauty-talk about poise and patience.

I would really like to see him for a quarter or half against the other team's first-team or backups instead of grocery baggers. That said, he looks the part and his game is somewhat polished.
The problem I see is that Dobbs has a spot locked up and they are not going to cut Mason and no way do they carry 4 QB's.

Only one game, but Mason looked better while Dobbs showed the same problems with his short to intermediate game. I thought Hodges showed well and I'm hoping he carries that on in the next game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm 

I just finished watching the game (I know).

I wonder if Hodges might have a little Kurt Warner in him. He has a natural QB "look" to him.

Johnny Holton is a nice strider.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 pm 

And I will add...

I did see Rudolph drive the football once downfield. I feel better about him after seeing that throw.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:23 pm 

Havoc wrote:
I wonder if Hodges might have a little Kurt Warner in him. He has a natural QB "look" to him.

Someone's [PHI?] 4th stringer lit us up in preseason last year. I'm only mentioning it because I wonder what chances Hodges has to survive on the practice squad? If he shows any potential at all with another good performance I would have to believe there's at least a few teams who'd kick their 3rd QB to the curb to poach him.

If instead they cut Dobbs, he could very well be sitting by the phone because I don't know if another team would pick him up, much less give up a 7th for him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5