It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Some Positivity and a Fresh Mindset
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 am 

Ice wrote:
Conner, improvement on Bell in every statistical category, in his first year as a starter, with room to get even better. But what about his fumble in Week One?

Two sides to your coin, dude. Some people just choose to see the positive one, rather than trashing current Steelers to pine away for has beens who quit on their team.

You could also spell the guy's name correctly. He's been on the team for going on three years.

Whatabout the misspelling??? Priceless

Here's where you, and your fellow asshats, are all wet, Ice. There's no "trashing" from me. I've said the kid performed above expectations. But the narrative of James CONNER (satisfied?) 2018 season also includes two fumbles, one of which undoubtedly cost his team a win, and one which contributed mightily to a loss. That's all.

And now Antonio Brown is a "has been?" Here's the other fallacy in which you and others continue to engage. There's a difference between "pining away" as you accuse, and not drinking the fuckin' Kool-Aid that's in abundance on this esteemed website, not buying the addition by subtraction argument, not necessarily believing that the Pittsburgh Steelers can lose players of this caliber, continue to be coached by the same fuckin' idiot, and somehow come out of it as an improved football team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 am 

I always drink the kool aid this time of year. Sometimes I spike it with vodka.

TD:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:29 am 

Antonio Brown is not a has been, but he is not the dominant, once-in-a-lifetime player that many claim either.

My argument the past few years is that Brown was very fortunate to be in an offense that EXCESSIVELY targeted him, featured him and that he had a Hall of Fame QB throwing to him.

My argument is that you can take any sufficiently talented WR, pair him with Ben, feature him, target him 150 times, and you will get much the same results.

JuJu was targeted 79 times as a rookie, then he was targeted 166 times in his 2nd season and responded with 111 catches and 1,426 yards. It really is that simple.

Be it Hines Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Brown, JuJu, if Ben is throwing the ball to you, targeting you over 100+ times in a season, the production, the stats will follow. This is not something that is unique to Antonio Brown because he was somehow 'special'.

Bell did indeed start fumbling the last 24 games of his Steelers career, 7 times in that span. My theory is that teams were starting to play him differently, starting to figure him out, that and the speed and quickness that he had were diminishing because of his injuries.

Funny how two virtual rookies, Conner and Samuels, combined for 16 TDs and 5 100 yard games and were better in nearly every category than Bell in 2017. And this was at one tenth the cost.

What Bell did as a Steeler was underwhelming to me. They fed him the ball, gave him his carries and catches and the most he could ever do in a season was 11 TDs?? I long argued that he should be producing 20+ TDs a season, every season with that kind of workload, yet he never did. And then Conner and JaySam in their first season together combine for 16 TDs?? And now with Snell??

I can see that trio combining for 22-25 touchdowns this season, double of what Bell ever did.

I see 2019 being a repeat of 2018 when it comes to Antonio Brown. There will be those distraught, all gloomy and doomy and predicting the end for our offense without Brown. And then just like last season, the offense will just plug in the next man/men and the offense will continue on as if nothing ever happened. Last season we didn't have Bell, plugged in Conner and then Samuels and the offense got better?? We set team records for red zone offense??

How do we go from having a Red Zone percentage of 50% in 2017 with Bell and then go to 73.5% with Conner and Samuels??

Maybe, just maybe Bell and Brown were holding this offense back. If Brown is not here being excessively fed the football, if Randy gets Ben to spread the football, distribute the football, not force things and end up with INTs maybe Ben has a career year WITHOUT Brown, maybe the offense does too.

Many worry about the 15 TDs that left town with Brown from last season. I celebrate the 10 INTs that left town with Brown because of Ben forcing the ball to Brown so much. Those 15 TDs are just going to be caught by other people this year, the difference is that if 5 of those 10 INTs from last season are not made this season then maybe Ben and the offense scores 5 more TDs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am 

If Bell had honored his contract, Conner wouldn't have been in the game to fumble, Swiss. Therefore, Bell was responsible for Conner's fumble.

Bell is an almost 30 year old RB whose best days are behind him. Your Mancrush is also leaving his prime, and will never again perform to the level he did while he was in Pittsburgh. Even if you take the egos and on and off field horse shit out of the way, which I won't, they are still a pair of players who aren't the type that successful teams sink a ton of cap and term into.

You want to live in the past, I get it. Whether that past is Week One of 2018, or the good old days of Bell and Brown where we won nothing, you're welcome to stay there.

Multiple posts in multiple threads, which you have likely ignored because they don't fit the three agendas you've been stuck on since January, have detailed the positive changes in the coaching staff as a whole since the end of the season.

How about joining us in 2019, dude?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am 

Ice wrote:
If Bell had honored his contract, Conner wouldn't have been in the game to fumble, Swiss. Therefore, Bell was responsible for Conner's fumble.

Bell is an almost 30 year old RB whose best days are behind him. Your Mancrush is also leaving his prime, and will never again perform to the level he did while he was in Pittsburgh. Even if you take the egos and on and off field horse shit out of the way, which I won't, they are still a pair of players who aren't the type that successful teams sink a ton of cap and term into.

You want to live in the past, I get it. Whether that past is Week One of 2018, or the good old days of Bell and Brown where we won nothing, you're welcome to stay there.

Multiple posts in multiple threads, which you have likely ignored because they don't fit the three agendas you've been stuck on since January, have detailed the positive changes in the coaching staff as a whole since the end of the season.

You have reached a new level of stupidity ICE and that really is saying something! Now you're blaming Bell for Connor putting the ball on the ground! Call it man crushes are you want. When last in the Pittsburgh Steeler uniform, both Bell and brown found the Endzone twice . Yet we are at the believe that minus these two guys and coached by the same idiot this team will be better in 2019. Again, I hope you're right, but I'm not buying it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 am 

Scunge wrote:
Antonio Brown is not a has been, but he is not the dominant, once-in-a-lifetime player that many claim either.

My argument the past few years is that Brown was very fortunate to be in an offense that EXCESSIVELY targeted him, featured him and that he had a Hall of Fame QB throwing to him.

My argument is that you can take any sufficiently talented WR, pair him with Ben, feature him, target him 150 times, and you will get much the same results.

JuJu was targeted 79 times as a rookie, then he was targeted 166 times in his 2nd season and responded with 111 catches and 1,426 yards. It really is that simple.

Be it Hines Ward, Holmes, Wallace, Brown, JuJu, if Ben is throwing the ball to you, targeting you over 100+ times in a season, the production, the stats will follow. This is not something that is unique to Antonio Brown because he was somehow 'special'.

Bell did indeed start fumbling the last 24 games of his Steelers career, 7 times in that span. My theory is that teams were starting to play him differently, starting to figure him out, that and the speed and quickness that he had were diminishing because of his injuries.

Funny how two virtual rookies, Conner and Samuels, combined for 16 TDs and 5 100 yard games and were better in nearly every category than Bell in 2017. And this was at one tenth the cost.

What Bell did as a Steeler was underwhelming to me. They fed him the ball, gave him his carries and catches and the most he could ever do in a season was 11 TDs?? I long argued that he should be producing 20+ TDs a season, every season with that kind of workload, yet he never did. And then Conner and JaySam in their first season together combine for 16 TDs?? And now with Snell??

I can see that trio combining for 22-25 touchdowns this season, double of what Bell ever did.

I see 2019 being a repeat of 2018 when it comes to Antonio Brown. There will be those distraught, all gloomy and doomy and predicting the end for our offense without Brown. And then just like last season, the offense will just plug in the next man/men and the offense will continue on as if nothing ever happened. Last season we didn't have Bell, plugged in Conner and then Samuels and the offense got better?? We set team records for red zone offense??

How do we go from having a Red Zone percentage of 50% in 2017 with Bell and then go to 73.5% with Conner and Samuels??

Maybe, just maybe Bell and Brown were holding this offense back. If Brown is not here being excessively fed the football, if Randy gets Ben to spread the football, distribute the football, not force things and end up with INTs maybe Ben has a career year WITHOUT Brown, maybe the offense does too.

Many worry about the 15 TDs that left town with Brown from last season. I celebrate the 10 INTs that left town with Brown because of Ben forcing the ball to Brown so much. Those 15 TDs are just going to be caught by other people this year, the difference is that if 5 of those 10 INTs from last season are not made this season then maybe Ben and the offense scores 5 more TDs.

You really think those 10 pics left town with a B? I know there's disbelief that been forced the ball to OB keep him happy. I tend to believe it was more the case that a beat was the guy that he could most and on… To get open and to make the catches. Also tend to believe that the number of targets juju had last year was to at least in part to a be drawn with double teams. This year, jujube drawn with double teams? Will he be as productive? Excuse the voice to text, but I think you ass hat's can decipher except ICE probably can't without every word spelled perfectly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:32 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:

You have reached a new level of stupidity ICE and that really is saying something! Now you're blaming Bell for Connor putting the ball on the ground! Call it man crushes are you want. When last in the Pittsburgh Steeler uniform, both Bell and brown found the Endzone twice . Yet we are at the believe that minus these two guys and coached by the same idiot this team will be better in 2019. Again, I hope you're right, but I'm not buying it

It's about the same level as blaming one of the six turnovers as the reason they lost, and then whining about it to justify your sorry decision to whine about the loss of your selfish, quitter, toxic man crushes and live in a past where the Steelers won exactly as many Super Bowls as they've already won without them. Your stupid posts on this subject have polluted this site for months. You've gone full troll, and have added less of substance than Lynch to the conversation since January. It's like a broken 8 track, to put it in terms you'll understand.

I mean, what's a win for you in continuing with this crap? Do think the 1,117th time, someone is just going to break down and agree with you? Nobody else wants to live in the past, wish your guys were still on the team, etc. You know this. So, are you really this desperate for any kind of attention you can get, or can you come up with something new to add and move on?

Last edited by Ice on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:40 am 

Ice wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:

It's about the same level as blaming one of the six turnovers as the reason they lost, and then whining about it to justify your sorry decision to whine about the loss of your selfish, quitter, toxic man crushes and live in a past where the Steelers won exactly as many Super Bowls as they've already won without them. Your stupid posts on this subject have polluted this site for months. You've gone full troll, and have added less of substance than Lynch to the conversation since January. It's like a broken 8 track, to put it in terms you'll understand.[/quot

Yet, being an unparallelled dumb fuck, You keep responding? And now, perhaps reaching the depths of stupidity, but I'm confident you have further to go, you blame a guy that is in street clothes for another player fumbling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 am 

Really just tired and irritated at your useless, recycled garbage posts shitting on every thread. Get a life, or maybe a new act that you haven't been running into the ground for months. Maybe you wouldn't have to resort to lame profanity and childish name calling if you had either one or the other. Jesus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:49 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

Yet, being an unparallelled dumb fuck, You keep responding? And now, perhaps reaching the depths of stupidity, but I'm confident you have further to go, you blame a guy that is in street clothes for another player fumbling

I believe ice has been smoking ice for quite some time now. When tweekers get all geetered out like that they can't help themselves.

TD:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:26 am 

Ice wrote:
Really just tired and irritated at your useless, recycled garbage posts shitting on every thread. Get a life, or maybe a new act that you haven't been running into the ground for months. Maybe you wouldn't have to resort to lame profanity and childish name calling if you had either one or the other. Jesus.

Boo hoo hoo!! Poor baby ICE is getting irritated! :lol: :lol:

For the record, you fucking crybaby, the lead off to this op raise questions about Conor, there was a response to that assessment, I then gave my opinion. If that's considered shitting on a thread, then I guess I'm guilty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm 

Oh look, another thread where Swiss is crying. Who woulda thunk?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:40 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:

ICE's twin dumbfuck weighing in. Who woulda thunk?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:44 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:04 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:

Hey, I'm just saying, you keep blaming everyone else for devolving threads...yet you're the common denominator in all of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 pm 

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 1907090112

The good: JuJu says watch out for Washington as a breakout player
The bad: The Board will crucify JuJu for not spending 4-5 hours of his own time studying film. You know, unless that only applies to Ben.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:20 pm 

If Washington can continue the trajectory from last season, this is a deep and up and coming group, and maybe better overall than last year.

Now, if only Vanimal can stay healthy.

RB is young and deep.

QB is Big Ben.

Offensive line is a strength.

Gonna be a fun year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 pm 

Ice wrote:
If Washington can continue the trajectory from last season, this is a deep and up and coming group, and maybe better overall than last year.

RB is young and deep.

QB is Big Ben.

Gonna be a fun year.

I'm certainly feeling better about it, that's for sure. I was pretty concerned when AB pulled a swissvale and cried and whined his out of town. That certainly is a big talent loss. But they've put some pieces in place that have potential to fill that void, and more. I think some things have to break our way...but I'm feeling better about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 pm 

Not a WR or RB over 25, either. Young and deep. The defense has a ton of youth and potential, as well. Couple that with some fresh air at position coach, and some teachers of the game in the building, and we're really looking at an interesting team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm 

Ice wrote:

RB is young and deep.

QB is Big Ben.

Gonna be a fun year.

I'm certainly feeling better about it, that's for sure. I was pretty concerned when AB pulled a swissvale and cried and whined his out of town. That certainly is a big talent loss. But they've put some pieces in place that have potential to fill that void, and more. I think some things have to break our way...but I'm feeling better about it.

Seems to me that the cryers and whiners were the numerous ass hats of this esteemed website who engaged in months of juvenile name-calling on Antonio Brown when he left. And last I checked Swissvale hasn't gone anywhere!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:56 pm 

Scunge wrote:

So much logic. So much positivity. Its gonna be a great year. Huck and chuck football where Ben just slings it. He’ll have some turnovers but it’ll be less than trying to force it to AB’s bitch ass.
I look forward to the season like i look forward to your posts brother.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:58 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Scunge wrote:

So much logic. So much positivity. Its gonna be a great year. Huck and chuck football where Ben just slings it. He’ll have some turnovers but it’ll be less than trying to force it to AB’s bitch ass.

Zed, we most assuredly DO NOT want Ben going full blown huck and chuck. We need to get him back under some semblance of control, like Haley had him under.

TD:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:21 pm 

Lynch wrote:
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Zed, we most assuredly DO NOT want Ben going full blown huck and chuck. We need to get him back under some semblance of control, like Haley had him under.

You're trolling, right? Because Haley sucked.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:40 pm 

Well, Ben sucked a whole lot less under him. Hopefully he can keep the interceptathons to a minimum this year.

TD:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:22 pm 

Well, yes, nobody wants to have a QB that throws for 16 INTs, leads the NFL in interceptions, but you have to put it into context too.

For example, Ben lead the NFL in pass attempts, 675 to be exact.

So, to throw 16 INTs in 675 pass attempts is not quite as bad as it looks. A better stat to use is to look at Ben's Interception percentage, how often did he throw an INT? Did he lead the NFL in that, was he really as turnover prone as some make it out to be?? Ben threw an INT once every 42.19 pass attempts.

Look at Andrew Luck, feel good story, comeback player, Indy makes the playoffs, etc.

Andrew Luck threw 15 INTs in 639 attempts, he had an INT % of 2.35. Luck threw an interception once every 42.6 pass attempts.
Phillip Rivers was 12 of 508, had an INT % of 2.36, throwing an interception once every 42.333 pass attempts.
Mitch Trubisky was 12 of 434, had an INT% of 2.76, throwing an interception once every 36.16 pass attempts.

These three QBs above all made the playoffs, all made the Pro Bowl and their play was cited as big reasons why they made the playoffs. And yet their proclivity for throwing INTs was nearly identical to Ben's rate, and in Mitch's case, he was worse than Ben, yet nobody is lambasting them for turning the ball over too much, are they???

And Ben was 16 of 675, 2.37%, throwing an interception once every 42.19 pass attempts.

Yes, Ben led the NFL in interceptions with 16, but he did lead the NFL in pass attempts with 675. He was actually 20th overall in interception percentage. So, there were 19 QBs better and 12 QBs worse. Many of those QBs that threw less interceptions than Ben also threw 100, 150, 200, 250 passes fewer. Context does matter.

Do I want Ben to throw less INTs? Yes, but I also realize that he still has that gunslinger mentality and that he had to deal with an egomaniac that wanted his catches and he forced some throws. And he set a career high in pass attempts.

If you look at the previous 9 years, from 2009 to 2017, Ben was averaging 36.13 pass attempts per game, which comes out to 575 per season if he plays all 16 games. Now many of those seasons he might have played in only 11, 12, 13, 14 games, etc, it is the pass attempts per game that is important. So, Ben threw the ball 100 times more than his average last season.

I expect Ben to go back to that 575 average this season and to probably still have 11-12 INTs.

One last point, Ben's INT percentage last season was the 4th best of his 15 year career. Let that sink in for a moment. Ben had 11 other seasons where he threw interceptions more often.

His worst season was 2006, threw 23 INTs but he was throwing an INT once every 20 pass attempts. Brutal.
More recently, Ben threw 16 INTs in 2015, hey we made the playoffs!!! Ben was throwing an INT once every 29 pass attempts.

Last season Ben was throwing an INT once every 42 pass attempts, the 4th best total of his 15 year career. Context does matter. Funny how stats can be spun, how narratives can be established, which prism, which lens do you look at things with? 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next