It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 4439
It doesn't take much of a brain to watch 10 seconds of Diontae Johnson run a route and catch a pass to be able to tell he is a more naturally gifted catcher than Coates, Sweed, or whatever other nonsense he's being compared to.

_________________
Baltostiller wrote:
I can agree to disagree without calling another post "assholic" Maybe you should do the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 12877
Johnson will be on the field A LOT this season.

I'm predicting 46 catches, 700+ yards receiving.

4 TD's.

1 punt return TD.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2447
KC wrote:
Lynch wrote:
Sorry to disappoint ya dude. That was kinda IC's forte. We need the bastard back to help educate the dullards.


I remember arguing with IC about Jarvis Jones being a horrific draft pick.

IC told me; "Jarvis is a football player".

Well Jarvis wasn't a "football player" for long.

IC sure educated me.

IC also told me it would be impossible for Jerricho Cotchery to have 7 TD catches in an entire season.

Turns out IC was correct. Cotchery had 10 TD catches.


IC was kind of the chief dullard of SteelerFury. Hope he is healthy, happy, and maybe still mopping up some jizz...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 12877
Zeke5123 wrote:
KC wrote:
Lynch wrote:
Sorry to disappoint ya dude. That was kinda IC's forte. We need the bastard back to help educate the dullards.


I remember arguing with IC about Jarvis Jones being a horrific draft pick.

IC told me; "Jarvis is a football player".

Well Jarvis wasn't a "football player" for long.

IC sure educated me.

IC also told me it would be impossible for Jerricho Cotchery to have 7 TD catches in an entire season.

Turns out IC was correct. Cotchery had 10 TD catches.


IC was kind of the chief dullard of SteelerFury. Hope he is healthy, happy, and maybe still mopping up some jizz...


100% beautifully said.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1762
I'm looking forward to seeing what Moncrief can do once he gets in sync with Ben. I've watched a lot of his career and he's a better WR than many think; he's just been saddled with a revolving door of really bad QB's and a bunch of different OC's and systems.

After OTAs, It was very telling to hear him say that he's never had/seen a QB make all the throws that Ben regularly makes. He's big, physical, fast, pretty smart (systems wise) and his hands are better (still not great) than his career has shown, imo. I think we got him at the perfect time in his career and wouldn't be surprised to see him play very well for us for the next few years.

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 913
TB wrote:
It doesn't take much of a brain to watch 10 seconds of Diontae Johnson run a route and catch a pass to be able to tell he is a more naturally gifted catcher than Coates, Sweed, or whatever other nonsense he's being compared to.


Now I'll admit, I have a relatively low IQ compared to Albert Einstein and the likes, but when I watch Dionte (fucking Dionte? seriously?) run a route, I'm immediately reminded of Emmanuel "clank" Sanders. And that's not necessarily a derogatory statement, as I thought Sanders looked like a clone of Holmes coming out. In the way he moved on the field, for the other retarded bastard unable to comprehend what I'm writing. Being able to catch the ball consistently with an nfl corner in your ass is an art I'm unable to decipher.

_________________
"Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 5584
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Except for the fact that Sanders ran much more polished routes than Johnson does coming out, without the insane short area quicks Johnson uses to turn a couple of yards to create havoc after the catch, mostly because Sanders came from a much more pass-happy offense at SMU than Johnson did at Toledo. Instead of making lame personal attacks, maybe watch some video, dude. My folks were together for 50 years, and as the faculty advisor to our school's Best Buddies chapter for 7 years, your use of the word "retarded" in that context is insensitive and offensive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 913
Ice wrote:
Except for the fact that Sanders ran much more polished routes than Johnson does coming out, without the insane short area quicks Johnson uses to turn a couple of yards to create havoc after the catch, mostly because Sanders came from a much more pass-happy offense at SMU than Johnson did at Toledo. Instead of making lame personal attacks, maybe watch some video, dude. My folks were together for 50 years, and as the faculty advisor to our school's Best Buddies chapter for 7 years, your use of the word "retarded" in that context is insensitive and offensive.


I'm an insensitive bastard bud. But those two wr's look like clones to me.

_________________
"Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 12877
DP39 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Moncrief can do once he gets in sync with Ben. I've watched a lot of his career and he's a better WR than many think; he's just been saddled with a revolving door of really bad QB's and a bunch of different OC's and systems.

After OTAs, It was very telling to hear him say that he's never had/seen a QB make all the throws that Ben regularly makes. He's big, physical, fast, pretty smart (systems wise) and his hands are better (still not great) than his career has shown, imo. I think we got him at the perfect time in his career and wouldn't be surprised to see him play very well for us for the next few years.


Moncrief will be counted on to run the fly routes. Beat people over the top.

He can still blaze by CB's. His experience will be a huge asset.

I think Washington will settle in comfortably to the intermediate role.

JuJu will be the all around guy, who can (literally) do everything in a special way.

Johnson will be the WR screen weapon and he'll be a BITCH to tackle in the open field.

I love our new receiving corps.

Switz and Eli Rogers will fight it out for the final spot, unless some UDFA surprises and sends them both home.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 12877
Lynch wrote:
Ice wrote:
Except for the fact that Sanders ran much more polished routes than Johnson does coming out, without the insane short area quicks Johnson uses to turn a couple of yards to create havoc after the catch, mostly because Sanders came from a much more pass-happy offense at SMU than Johnson did at Toledo. Instead of making lame personal attacks, maybe watch some video, dude. My folks were together for 50 years, and as the faculty advisor to our school's Best Buddies chapter for 7 years, your use of the word "retarded" in that context is insensitive and offensive.


I'm an insensitive bastard bud. But those two wr's look like clones to me.


I coined the name "Clank" for Sanders.

Sanders and Ben never had any kind of chemistry or rhythm.

The thing is, Sanders was UBER FUCKING TALENTED. He just never got in sync with our QB.

Once he left, the "Clank" moniker left with him and he became a star. Probably the only receiver who left Ben and went on to become a star elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much about Johnson until the season kicks in.

The dude oozes talent.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 8190
KC wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Moncrief can do once he gets in sync with Ben. I've watched a lot of his career and he's a better WR than many think; he's just been saddled with a revolving door of really bad QB's and a bunch of different OC's and systems.

After OTAs, It was very telling to hear him say that he's never had/seen a QB make all the throws that Ben regularly makes. He's big, physical, fast, pretty smart (systems wise) and his hands are better (still not great) than his career has shown, imo. I think we got him at the perfect time in his career and wouldn't be surprised to see him play very well for us for the next few years.


Moncrief will be counted on to run the fly routes. Beat people over the top.

He can still blaze by CB's. His experience will be a huge asset.

I think Washington will settle in comfortably to the intermediate role.

JuJu will be the all around guy, who can (literally) do everything in a special way.

Johnson will be the WR screen weapon and he'll be a BITCH to tackle in the open field.

I love our new receiving corps.

Switz and Eli Rogers will fight it out for the final spot, unless some UDFA surprises and sends them both home.


And let's not forget about Ben having that chip on his shoulder. Right, KC?? :lol: :lol:

_________________
#NoMoTomlin!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 5584
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
I'd encourage you to watch a little more film, but what you see is what you see, I guess. I dig on the MAC, so got to watch a ton of Johnson, good, great and not so much the last few years.

He's a big play, get him in space and watch him work kind of WR, where Sanders was a very polished route runner, more of a technical guy coming in, and he remained very much that, as well. Why he shined with Peyton before his arm turned into a noodle.

Ben needs WRs with a little more improv ability, Peyton wanted WRs that ran precise routes so he could trust his presnap reads. Sanders would have worked well with Dan Marino, as well.


Last edited by Ice on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 12877
swissvale72 wrote:
KC wrote:
DP39 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Moncrief can do once he gets in sync with Ben. I've watched a lot of his career and he's a better WR than many think; he's just been saddled with a revolving door of really bad QB's and a bunch of different OC's and systems.

After OTAs, It was very telling to hear him say that he's never had/seen a QB make all the throws that Ben regularly makes. He's big, physical, fast, pretty smart (systems wise) and his hands are better (still not great) than his career has shown, imo. I think we got him at the perfect time in his career and wouldn't be surprised to see him play very well for us for the next few years.


Moncrief will be counted on to run the fly routes. Beat people over the top.

He can still blaze by CB's. His experience will be a huge asset.

I think Washington will settle in comfortably to the intermediate role.

JuJu will be the all around guy, who can (literally) do everything in a special way.

Johnson will be the WR screen weapon and he'll be a BITCH to tackle in the open field.

I love our new receiving corps.

Switz and Eli Rogers will fight it out for the final spot, unless some UDFA surprises and sends them both home.


And let's not forget about Ben having that chip on his shoulder. Right, KC?? :lol: :lol:


Not sure what you're driving at.

You can believe Ben doesn't have a chip on his shoulder.

You can believe Ben doesn't have any weapons to throw to or who will run the ball down opponents throats.

We will see about that.

:lol:

Fuckface has the great Derek (or is is David) Carr tossing him the rock. The same younger Carr brother Gruden tried to trade before last season.

All should go well in Oakland.

:lol:

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 8190
What I'm driving at is I put ZERO stock in Ben having a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't mean that Ben won't have a great season...just not buying this chip on his shoulder stuff as having any impact.

_________________
#NoMoTomlin!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 5584
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
You're certainly entitled to the belief that emotion and personal motivation have nothing to do with athletic performance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 8190
Ice wrote:
You're certainly entitled to the belief that emotion and personal motivation have nothing to do with athletic performance.


I'm not necessarily saying that, Ice...I think it's more about not being convinced that Ben has that edge he had when winning two Super Bowls. I'll blame The Douchebag Art II for that...not standing by Ben after the Georgia bullshit, hanging him out to dry on Draft Eve.

And then...Ben got married, had kids...I think he was more a winner when he was more a jagoff.

_________________
#NoMoTomlin!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 5584
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
I can see where, based on record and results, you could say that.

I'd add that, while maybe "chip on the shoulder" may not be an exact read, from all the reports and interviews available so far, there is a perceivable difference between Ben so far this season and Ben in the recent past. Worth taking note of, at least, as we see how things develop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 8190
Ice wrote:
I can see where, based on record and results, you could say that.

I'd add that, while maybe "chip on the shoulder" may not be an exact read, from all the reports and interviews available so far, there is a perceivable difference between Ben so far this season and Ben in the recent past. Worth taking note of, at least, as we see how things develop.


I hope it's true. Used to be, that down on the scoreboard with two minutes left, camera goes to Ben on the sideline, you just KNEW Steelers would win. I don't get that anymore.

_________________
#NoMoTomlin!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 913
Remember his first game. Comeback victory vs dallas cunts. You could see immediately he could win games.

_________________
"Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:11 pm
Posts: 2693
DP39 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Moncrief can do once he gets in sync with Ben. I've watched a lot of his career and he's a better WR than many think; he's just been saddled with a revolving door of really bad QB's and a bunch of different OC's and systems.

After OTAs, It was very telling to hear him say that he's never had/seen a QB make all the throws that Ben regularly makes. He's big, physical, fast, pretty smart (systems wise) and his hands are better (still not great) than his career has shown, imo. I think we got him at the perfect time in his career and wouldn't be surprised to see him play very well for us for the next few years.


I also think he is going to blossom (will turn 26 this August). I think he will be here for the next 4-6 years and the WR group will be pretty damn set with JuJu, Moncrief, DJ, and Washington as the top 4 in no order just a foursome of talent that you have to deal with in various sets and looks. The stuff he was talking about Ben hitting him with passes as soon as his head was turned was good to hear. Also he said the system is set up so that you can get the pass on any play and any route is good to hear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:11 pm
Posts: 2693
swissvale72 wrote:
What I'm driving at is I put ZERO stock in Ben having a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't mean that Ben won't have a great season...just not buying this chip on his shoulder stuff as having any impact.


Did you hear him in the locker room yesterday? Someone asked about the talking heads picking the Browns "We Are Still The Pittsburgh Steelers". That sounds just like what someone with a chip on their shoulder.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 8190
stillthere wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
What I'm driving at is I put ZERO stock in Ben having a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't mean that Ben won't have a great season...just not buying this chip on his shoulder stuff as having any impact.


Did you hear him in the locker room yesterday? Someone asked about the talking heads picking the Browns "We Are Still The Pittsburgh Steelers". That sounds just like what someone with a chip on their shoulder.



Nope, didn't hear it. I hope the edge is there, that you guys are right.

_________________
#NoMoTomlin!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:11 pm
Posts: 2693


Ben is on for the first part at around 4 minutes in reporter asks about being the underdogs

edit: here as well https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/06/11/ben-roethlisberger-underdogs-pittsburgh-steelers-hh/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 12877
swissvale72 wrote:
What I'm driving at is I put ZERO stock in Ben having a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't mean that Ben won't have a great season...just not buying this chip on his shoulder stuff as having any impact.


I think it’s only natural to bust your ass harder, to want it a little more when people write you off.

Especially when you’re written off because you lost a few players who many thought were the keys to your success the last several years.

When many are saying you aren’t a serious threat to win anything anymore.

Again you can believe this doesn’t play a factor.

Not sure if you’ve ever been written off before, but if you have, I’m betting you fought like a motherfucker to prove whoever wrote you off wrong.

Then you have all the side shit the mental midget fuckface created to get a new contract and to get outta town.

We will see.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Losing Your Best WR but Getting Better
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 913
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:
I can see where, based on record and results, you could say that.

I'd add that, while maybe "chip on the shoulder" may not be an exact read, from all the reports and interviews available so far, there is a perceivable difference between Ben so far this season and Ben in the recent past. Worth taking note of, at least, as we see how things develop.


I hope it's true. Used to be, that down on the scoreboard with two minutes left, camera goes to Ben on the sideline, you just KNEW Steelers would win. I don't get that anymore.


AB may have been fucking up his mojo,

_________________
"Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group