It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: 2019 Free Agent Class
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:23 pm 

Is anyone else thoroughly unimpressed??

ILBs: Jordan Hicks of Philly and CJ Mosely of Baltimore are the only real names, and Mosely hasn't been great in coverage.

CBs: Ronald Darby of Philly and Pierre Desir of Indy are the only even halfway decent options

S: There is something here now... but the FO is probably complacent with Sean Davis and Edmunds... even though our base defense can and should be 3 safeties. Landon Collins of NYG, Adrian Amos of CHI, Early Thomas, and Honey Badger... Sign 2 of them - why not?? Our ILBs are liabilities.

But we are really pissing in the wind at CB. Not sure how we will get our secondary under control.

Post subject: Re: 2019 Free Agent Class
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:52 pm 

There are some serviceable tier 2's and tier 3's forsure. Not sure the Steelers target a tier 1 FA. Although, I think they should. I won't hold my breath.

This free agent list I've posted in a few threads. Has all the names/FA's you can browse through.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:00 pm 

It funny the year the Steelers have money to spend not a lot of playmakers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:59 pm 

Oh I don't know. There are a few IMHO.

OLB
Frank Clark
Shaquil Barrett
Shane Ray
Dee Ford
Preston Smith
John Simon
Eli Harold
Cameron Lynch
Za'Darius Smith

ILB
Preston Brown
Denzel Perryman
Kevin Minter
Kwon Alexander

CB
Bradley Roby
Eric Rowe
Ronald Darby
P.J. Williams
Steven Nelson
Justin Coleman

Dline
Jihad Ward
Jordan Phillips
David Irving

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 pm 

I think I'd focus on some depth in FA, except for possibly Edge and definitely CB, where I am going full bore after Darby, Rowe, or Nelson.

If they upgrade the depth of their roster with, say, Shaquil Barrett, David Irving, Zack Kerr, Zach Zenner, a WR, Rob Tonyan or Demetrius Harris at TE... that would be a huge plus going into the draft. This class is very strong for FS, WR, LB, CB, and supposedly TE. An EDGE guy, a rotational RB to cover you if you don't get the guy you want, some DL depth, and a CB to start while the draft picks develop... that's all available, they just have to be willing to part with their safe, known quantity guys and spend the money available.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:15 pm 

If it's me?

SIGN
EDGE Shaquil Barrett (Chickillo)
DL David Irving (LT Walton)
DL Zach Kerr (McCullers)
CB Steven Nelson (Sensabaugh)
TE Rob Tonyan (Grimble)
RB Zach Zenner (Ridley)
OG Ramon Foster
TE Jesse James
DL Alualu

DRAFT
ILB
FS
CB
WR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 pm 

I don't know, it seems like this year there is less star power, less players available which is unfortunate since the Steelers could hypothetically have serious money to spend if they played their cards right.

But, I would like to point out that sometimes it is the under the radar type of free agent signings that can really pay off. Did anybody think at the time that a Ryan Clark or James Farrior would be Pro Bowlers when we first signed them???

Yeah, I look at Landon Collins and salivate. If he can stay healthy, man he would look great at SS for us. But you want to know something?? Maybe he is not the best fit for us maybe that player is the Chargers Adrian Phillips.

Maybe, just maybe Adrian Phillips could be that safety free agent signing that turns out to be brilliant. Who is Adrian Phillips??

He made the Pro Bowl for special teams as a member of the Los Angeles Chargers. But he is more than that. He is also a damn good player on defense. He played in 16 games, started 7 games, and had 94 tackles, 1 INT, 9 passes defensed, a forced fumble. They lined him up at FS, SS, ILB, OLB, you name it. What the Steelers wanted to do with Morgan Burnett, to have that type of hybrid S/LB, well that is what the Chargers have in Adrian Phillips, he did all of that and also made the Pro Bowl for special teams.

I don't target Landon Collins or Earl Thomas or Honey Badger in free agency, I target, I pounce on the 26 year old Adrian Phillips.

I have about a dozen Adrian Phillips types at various positions that I would target in free agency. You have to think outside the box, make some projections and and take some risks in free agency.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 pm 

I look at Preston brown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 am 

I also like Bryce Callahan of the Chicago Bears. In watching him I see a more athletic, more talented Mike Hilton who can play outside CB and match up on even taller WRs. Like Mike he plays a very physical game, punches above his weight so to speak, but Callahan also misses time to injury with that style of play. Just a much better athlete than Hilton, Bryce runs about a 4.45 and was credited with having a 43" vertical leap. I watched some highlights of him matched up on Kenny Goliday who is 6'4" (Bryce is 5'9") and Callahan did a very good job.

Teryl Austin would love coaching Callahan and probably turn him into a Pro Bowler.

So, me? I forget about Bradley Roby or Ronald Darby, I target and sign Bryce Callahan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 am 

Preston Brown is a dinosaur. Great at what he does but not for 2019 NFL. Callahan and Phillips have the same issue: neither has a track record of taking the football away; I don't want to sign or draft anyone I don't have to who doesn't touch the ball on defense at an extraordinary rate. INTs+Fumbles Forced+Fumbles Recovered+Passes Defensed if you're not above average in those areas, you're not going to help a team that was 1st in QB sacks and pressures and 26th in taking away the football and near the bottom of passes defensed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:39 am 

Quality FA's are normally re-signed by their teams....been that way a long time.

But don't let reality and logic get in the way of the fantasy of signing a HOFer if we can just find enough money.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:41 am 

Go and sign Landon Collins and on of the Denver outside Lb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:04 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Preston Brown is a dinosaur. Great at what he does but not for 2019 NFL. Callahan and Phillips have the same issue: neither has a track record of taking the football away; I don't want to sign or draft anyone I don't have to who doesn't touch the ball on defense at an extraordinary rate. INTs+Fubles Forced+Fumbles Recovered+Passes Defensed if you're not above average in those areas, you're not going to help a team that was 1st in QB sacks and pressures and 26th in taking away the football and near the bottom of passes defensed.

Phillips and Callahan combined for 7 INTs and 3 FF the past two seasons. That is pretty good to me. That track record is equal to any other duo you can come up with. I mean what do you want B2B?? Say we signed Bradley Roby and Landon Collins?? They only combined for 4 INTs the past two seasons. Or how about Ronald Darby and Tyrann Mathieu? They only combined for 8 INTs the past two seasons. How are any of those alternatives to my duo of Phillips and Callahan significantly better?? They are not are they?? My CB/S duo has similar production and yet will be able to be signed cheaper and do not have scary injuries to deal with. Collins has that bum shoulder and Darby, didn't he hurt his ACL??

Again, Teryl Austin has this incredible track record of taking defensive backs and turning them into stars, Pro Bowlers. When he was in Detroit, he had Glover Quinn come from Houston and he had something like 8 career INTs at that point. Then with Austin as his DC, he goes on to have 7 INTs in one season and make the Pro Bowl.

Callahan and Phillips may not be the sexy picks that people want but they are phenomenal football players, high character and still have upside. They are the type of football players that we used to go after, like the Ryan Clarks, the James Farriors, the Jeff Hartings.

To me it isn't about signing a Hall of Famer but getting a Pro Bowl caliber starter, or someone who can develop into that. It is also about signing free agents that are quality high character types to help lead the team, to become core players, and change the culture of this team.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 am 

I'm not even targeting safeties in FA. IMHO the Steelers have to shore up the middle and back end of that defense. Middle? ILB has to be targeted. Back end? Obvious after Davis, Hilton and Haden this secondary is embarrassing. Corner and ILB are the priorities with perhaps a decent skill player on the offensive side. Cut Heyward-Bey and Hunter. Maybe even an OLB FA to challenge Chickillo, Adams and Adeniyi for snaps. Cut Bostic, Matakevich and Burnett and start over. This defense has some depth issues at DLine as well. I think this draft is deep at DLine prospects and would not be at all surprised to see them draft one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:55 pm 

I think S was one of the biggest problems, and will be addressed again this off-season. Safe is an improvement from giving up huge plays, but it just doesn't cut it back there as far as turnovers.

Scunge, you're right, they were likely better than what we put out there.

Just some reference numbers...
Defensive touches career (INT, PD, FF, FR)

Adrian Phillips : 5, 18, 2, 0 = 25/19 starts
Bryce Callahan: 4, 20, 1, 0 = 25/29 starts
Terrell Edmunds: 1, 4, 0, 1 = 6/15 starts
Coty Sensabaugh: 3, 32, 2, 3 = 40/43 starts
Sean Davis: 5, 20, 1, 1 = 27/40 starts
Ronald Darby: 6, 37, 0, 0 = 43/45 starts
Joe Haden: 22, 62, 5, 4 = 93/107 starts
Earl Thomas: 28, 67, 11, 5 = 111/125 starts
Steven Nelson 4, 35, 1, 2 = 42/38 starts
Mike Mitchell 11, 42, 9, 8 = 70/87 starts
Ryan Shazier 7, 25, 7, 3 = 42/41 starts
Eric Berry: 14, 51, 4, 2 = 71/87 starts
Ed Reed: 64, 139, 11, 13 = 227/169 starts
Troy Polamalu: 32, 107, 14, 7 = 159/142 starts
Richard Sherman: 32, 103, 5, 6 = 146/113 starts
Artie Burns: 4, 27, 1, 2, 34/31 starts :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 pm 

I have no idea how Tre Boston gets no love.

To borrow from b2b's stats,
Career: INT 11, PD 27, FR 1, FF 1 = 40 touches over 44 starts
Last 3 years: INT 10, PD 24, FR 1, FF 1 = 36 touches over 38 starts

He'd give us a lot of versatility with Davis and Edmunds. He'd be a nice mid tier signing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:42 pm 

seabs926 wrote:
I have no idea how Tre Boston gets no love.

To borrow from b2b's stats,
Career: INT 11, PD 27, FR 1, FF 1 = 40 touches over 44 starts
Last 3 years: INT 10, PD 24, FR 1, FF 1 = 36 touches over 38 starts

He'd give us a lot of versatility with Davis and Edmunds. He'd be a nice mid tier signing.

I'm okay with that. Like I said, I want turnover production and obvious ball skills/coverage skills. It's everything to this Steelers team on defense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm 

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/status/1080143820086480902

Alex Kazora wrote:
There have been 114 teams since 1982 who've recorded 50+ sacks in a season.

The 2018 Steelers are the first defense to do so with less than 20 takeaways. They finished with just 15. Offseason mission is to find playmakers. #Steelers

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm 

top 5 teams in sacks over last two seasons were all top ten in turnovers created... except for #1 PIT, 26th.

#ThisIsUs #WeSuck #MakingOurOffenseLookWorseThanItIs #AllergicToTheFootball

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 pm 

Scheme...scheme...scheme...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 pm 

I think you can theoretically create more turnovers playing zone... but you have to have quick, smart athletes to do it. We have just had a run of players who were either smart and untalented athletically or athletic freaks who didn't play smart.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think you can theoretically create more turnovers playing zone... but you have to have quick, smart athletes to do it. We have just had a run of players who were either smart and untalented athletically or athletic freaks who didn't play smart.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm 

Count me as one who thinks that if our scheme were different, that the turnovers would increase dramatically.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Austin as a DBs coach and his time as a DC in Detroit, man, his players got INTs aplenty.

Glover Quinn had 7 INTs in a season.
Darius Slay had 8 INTs in a season.
He had many, many CBs/Ss have at least 5 INTs in a season:

Trufant, Lucas, Boulware, Hood, Rolle, Rodgers-Cromartie, and Webb.

That is 9 players that Austin coached that all had at least one season of 5 INTs or more.

But as I said in my Teryl Austin thread, those defenses were 4-3 by and large. Scheme matters. Some schemes are able to generate more turnovers, this is one of the reasons why I want us to shift to a 4-3 defense. Not just for sacks and pressure but for the turnovers too.

I don't see any help at ILB in free agency. Mosely is not going anywhere and he is not the athlete or coverage defender to replace Shazier. I just don't see anybody worthy of pursuing in free agency at ILB. My one dark horse prospect at ILB is Jake Ryan of Green Bay. I see him as a replacement for LJ Fort and Tyler Metakevich though. In my scenario I would have a 1st round ILB, Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, and then Jake Ryan/LJ Fort. If Fort wants too much money then I make a play for Ryan.

Also, they need to cut Burnett and save $5.05 million and bring in a new vet safety. I really, really like Phillips to be that guy. Chargers got Derwin James and Phillips came through and played his best ball ever. In a sense he was like Ryan Clark that freed up Troy Polamalu. He really helped James to have the rookie season that he did. Would love to have a guy like that as our 3rd safety or put heat on Edmunds and Davis for their starting job. Regardless of whether he was a starter or not, a versatile player like Phillips would probably see the field 60% of the time regardless, lining up in multiple roles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 pm 

FIND PLAYMAKERS in FA and the Draft very simple.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 pm 

Quote:
I don't see any help at ILB in free agency. Mosely is not going anywhere and he is not the athlete or coverage defender to replace Shazier. I just don't see anybody worthy of pursuing in free agency at ILB. My one dark horse prospect at ILB is Jake Ryan of Green Bay. I see him as a replacement for LJ Fort and Tyler Metakevich though. In my scenario I would have a 1st round ILB, Vince Williams, Jon Bostic, and then Jake Ryan/LJ Fort. If Fort wants too much money then I make a play for Ryan.

Also, they need to cut Burnett and save $5.05 million and bring in a new vet safety. I really, really like Phillips to be that guy. Chargers got Derwin James and Phillips came through and played his best ball ever. In a sense he was like Ryan Clark that freed up Troy Polamalu. He really helped James to have the rookie season that he did. Would love to have a guy like that as our 3rd safety or put heat on Edmunds and Davis for their starting job. Regardless of whether he was a starter or not, a versatile player like Phillips would probably see the field 60% of the time regardless, lining up in multiple roles.

Agree with all of this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next