It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Apparently Brown Upset with Media Coverage?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 am 

Bell and AB are 2 peas in a pod

Actually surprised Pouncey tuned down his act

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 am 

Getting tired of Bell and Brown.

Antonio posts workout videos on Instagram that show where he's at, but gets mad when people show up? Give me a break.....

Now it just came out that Bell won't take less than $14.5 million??? Bye bye

Imagine the cap room this team will have next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 am 

Just keep catching passes. All the social media crap is easy enough to ignore. Just like with actors, all I want to see is a good movie. What their political views are, religious affiliation, who they like/dislike, how much they bitch about not being rich enough.... all those opinions are just that, opinions and mean nothing to me. As long as the aren't hurting anyone (or killing dogs) and staying out of jail, who cares? If they become too big a distraction, the team's management has already shown they'll get rid of them.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
*Consistently goes out of the way looking for the spotlight*

*Gets mad when put in spotlight*

Sounds about right.

Profoundly stated.

Love AB, but this is not a good "look".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:00 am 

With social media there aren’t enough minutes in the day for some people to make asses of themselves. It’s truly a personal contest for some people.

Any rate I get what AB is saying. The media baits these guys.

For the question of why weren’t you at OTAs AB should have said, I’m here now and that’s all that matters. Then you walk away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:08 am 

it's still yggy wrote:
With social media there aren’t enough minutes in the day for some people to make asses of themselves. It’s truly a personal contest for some people.

For the question of why weren’t you at OTAs AB should have said, I’m here now and that’s all that matters. Then you walk away.

The stupid part is none of the fans should give a shit if Ben or AB are there. That just takes reps away from other players who need them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am 

jebrick wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

The stupid part is none of the fans should give a shit if Ben or AB are there. That just takes reps away from other players who need them.

The whole offseason to me is nothing but an opportunity for these guys to blow out knees. It’s all downside for vets.

It’s good for rookies and it’s kind of nice to have some news.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm 

He is the best WR in the league and he isn't capitalizing off the football field. I look at this like I look at a graph of the amount of exposure to marketing dollars and there is a point where they intersect. They haven't for Brown at this point so the toll on his privacy seems to be unrewarded (in his mind). That's what this is all about.

OBJ (hurt and inconsistent head case with one terrific season) and Jones (lots of inconsistent games and being hurt) get mentioned in the same breath but they aren't in Brown's league for production and health. But they do better off the field because they play in larger markets and have tremendously more lucrative local and national endorsement possibilities. Where is Brown's solo head and shoulders commercial or VISA commercial? That's about 4 million and 5 million per year respectively. Brown has Pepsi and Nike but he shares that with other big market stars- limiting his perceived grandeur. Large market teams "off the books" work these deals with stadium sponsors, the Steelers just don't have that in their DNA.

So he has three choices- abandon social media, get a better agent who can leverage his followers better, or suck it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
He is the best WR in the league and he isn't capitalizing off the football field. I look at this like I look at a graph of the amount of exposure to marketing dollars and there is a point where they intersect. They haven't for Brown at this point so the toll on his privacy seems to be unrewarded (in his mind). That's what this is all about.

Interesting take, and could very well be some truth there.

He's always pushing his own brand ("Eyes Up Chest Up Prayed up!", "Business is Boomin'")....but that hasn't really paid off for him as much as he probably hoped. All it really did was eliminate his privacy.

I could see some bitterness stemming from that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm 

One thing I like about AB is he is prone to making comments of unfilitered honesty. What AB was talking about is the downside of Fame, the complete loss of privacy and anonymity, a double edged sword.