Post subject: Key Reasons Why We Win tomorrow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:04 pm 

1. Ben playing great

2. AB/Bell are healthy

3. Home game for us

4. Ben can freely run no-huddle w/o crowd noise

5. Pats playing on short week off a Monday night loss

6. Pats playing back-to-back road games

7. Pats are beaten up -- some un-sung but important guys are dinged and hopefully not playing. Sure, we have the higher profile injury with Shazier, but Pats are hurting too.

8. Brady is resorting to poetry

Feel free to add to list!

Post subject: Re: Key Reasons Why We Win tomorrow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 pm 

How about it was because we exposed the fact that the Patriots defense is crap. Or if we make Brady have to make a lot of out cut throws against pressure in his face- he's a JAG. I think its simple the gap between our offense and their defense is wider than the gap between our defense and their offense. They cannot pressure enough without blitzing, can't stop the run without committing bodies so they will sit back in some umbrella zone until we show enough patience to beat it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:54 pm 

I hope you're right. Until I see it unfold count me in the skeptical department. It hasn't mattered in the past what they have done they end up losing to the cheats. If and that's a huge if the Steelers beat them tomorrow they'll likely have a rematch in January. Beat them once, perhaps. Beat them twice in the same season? Don't think so. Believe me..., I'd Absolutely Love to see it happen. Just won't be holding my breath.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:57 pm 

nothing but nothing will matter if tomlin and butler trot out another go around of our zone defense. Man press, maul the receivers and interior pressure on brady is a must.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
nothing but nothing will matter if tomlin and butler trot out another go around of our zone defense. Man press, maul the receivers and interior pressure on brady is a must.

Will you be satisfied if they play man press and Butler turns the D line loose and they get torched?

Man, no Shaz and banged up corners...the offense is going to have to come out and obliterate these assholes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:03 pm 

notice that i never mention our defense ANYWHERE in my list of key reasons why we win!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:07 pm 

steel wrote:
notice that i never mention our defense ANYWHERE in my list of key reasons why we win!

Last time on O we had dog shit outside of AB at WR and no Bell.
Last time on D no Cam Heyward, but now no Shaz.

It's a much better roster overall. But to win the offense is going to have to go off. No question.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:09 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Will you be satisfied if they play man press and Butler turns the D line loose and they get torched?

Man, no Shaz and banged up corners...the offense is going to have to come out and obliterate these assholes.

yes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:13 pm 

We know what doesn't work.....zone with guys dropping into coverage with zero pressure on Brady

Even if it doesn't work, I'd rather they play man and apply pressure

If we are going to lose, at least go down trying something different

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:20 pm 

But is all that enough to overcome the Toussaint Jinx?

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:31 pm 

Until the Steelers show we can win or even keep a game close against these asshats from NE, this isn't a rivalry, anymore than Steelers vs Browns is a rivalry. I hope our coaches can put their thinking caps on this week. Let's play the game and see what happens.

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:38 pm 

I want to believe, I really do, but I need this game to prove we're not a fluke.

1. No zone coverage - we're doomed if that's the plan.

2. Bell needs have a crazy good game to control time of possession. Going toe to toe with Brady on scoring is not going to work. We need to keep him off the field and just make that Pats defense more and more tired.

3. Brown - just be yourself. Perfection.

4. Defense - pressure Brady.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:48 pm 

I want to believe also but I can’t do it.Would like nothing more then to be wrong.
Patriots are just the smarter team all the way around.
They will catch the Steelers off guard with quick tempo.
How many Steelers/Pats games have we seen with Steelers not being ready at the snap resulting in Pats running free upfield?
Vince Williams with inexperience in having the green dot will only make things worse.
They will also fool guys like Burns,Dupree and Davis who have ZERO awareness.

The Steelers D just doesn’t have enough playmakers without Shazier.
How many guys on the Steelers D are having at best an above average year?
Cam for sure and maybe Hilton.

The killer B’s will keep things semi interesting but Patriots win by double digits.

Go Steelers!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:17 pm 

I like our defensive line against their offensive line. I believe when our guys woke up last week the game turned. If Tuitt, Heyward, and Hargrave dominate then it really doesn't matter what happens behind them as long as they tackle cleanly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:20 pm 

I hope Tomlin made these guys watch the AFCC this week....and I hope the defense is pissed off and embarrassed and plays harder than they have all year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

I wonder if Tomlin has figured out a way to contain the lacrosse player?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

We know BB is going to double AB and we know they are going to Key on LBell.

I hope Haley gets AB running a lot,....crossing patterns, get him moving, etc. causing confusion in that secondary. Maybe that movement opens up JuJu, James, Bryant too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:27 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:

I hope Haley gets AB running a lot,....crossing patterns, get him moving, etc. causing confusion in that secondary. Maybe that movement opens up JuJu, James, Bryant too.

If Belicheat had AB, he'd manipulate the hell out of those coverages using AB to create giant voids for whomever they pulled off the street that week to have a monster game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:48 pm 

Defensive line must win applying pressure up the middle. No bones about it.

Listen carefully man or zone coverage doesn't really matter. What matters is how well you play man or zone WITH DL pressure up the middle. It would also be great to play a bit of both. That could possibly confuse Brady, but the greater hope is confusing WR's.

Men who are not named Brown or Bell must make plays - Juju, MB, Eli Rogers,TE's - Give Hunter/DHB a few outs.

Bryant, when the ball comes your way, catch it or draw a DPI. Give Corrente and his crew some work.

Minimize penalties - JJ Wilcox/DeCastro/B. Allen - these guys seem to draw the most flags. DeCastro is good for one false start per game - shout out to Willie Colon.

Sean Davis - When you're on Gronk, you have to win some downs. Don't be afraid to go up and gt the football.

Steelers, don't turn the ball over. Don't deflate if things take a bad turn, you've come back from so many deficits this year. Your mettle has been tested and it's been proven true.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:49 pm 

Watching some of the Patriots pre-game stuff. The media people acknowledge that last year, Leveon was basically out the whole game. They're of the mind that Patriots can really take away EITHER AB or Leveon, and aren't sure they can take away either one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:53 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:

The Pats (according to some of their former players) have trouble with bunch packages- something we run regularly. Putting AB in different positions in the stack and running off of that, then action off of that could be the confusion you are looking for. If they put him in there with some TEs and have the RPO with Bell out of that could be a way to just be stingy with the ball. If Ben can get to the hurry up and still milk the clock- their lack of depth will be the final nail.

What I want to see is the Patriots playing Quarters defense as a last resort and conceding the run on anything other than 1st down or short yardage. Then the Patriots will have to play Ben like we have played them over the years. Some sort of hokey zone concept behind an impotent pass rush- then this will look like that Colts game last year. Bryant can wreck their game plan just by "playing above the line".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm 

1) Our pass rushers (Heyward, Hargrove, Tuitt, Watt, etc.) routinely pound Brady making passing an adventure for him.
2) We cover Gronk. Watt, Dupree, Davis, whoever, successfully covers Gronk enough to limit his production.
3) We play man coverage and it holds up, relatively speaking. Yes, the coaches will try this. They've made a point of acquiring man cover guys, and we've been playing man in games throughout the season. We all know the Pats are going to get their points. We just need to be able to stop them a couple times more than they stop us.
4) I don't beleve the Pats running game will be as productive against us as Baltimore's was. We've had another week to get used to life without Shaz on D.
5) BEN. If all of the above fails, Ben masterfully controls our offense and their defense as he did Baltimore's and is able to match scores with Brady and be the one to get the winning score.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Watching some of the Patriots pre-game stuff. The media people acknowledge that last year, Leveon was basically out the whole game. They're of the mind that Patriots can really take away EITHER AB or Leveon, and aren't sure they can take away either one.

I think Belicheat will surmise, correctly, that PIT believes they need to establish the run. So Belicheat will take away the run, and PIT will predictably smash its head against the wall over and over.

One of the two times we beat them we completely flipped the script - we spread them out and threw like 45 passes on offense, and played physical man coverage on defense. Pretty much ever other time we've played them we've focused on establishing the run, and stopping the run playing our soft cushions.

Belicheat is either going to take away the run OR he's going to drop 7-8 into coverage. Actually, he'll do both thanks to Ernie crunching the numbers on PIT tendency given every down/distance/personnel package. PIT has to attack and continue abusing whatever NE gives them until Belicheat stops it.

Basically, Haley needs to channel his inner-Costanza and do the opposite of whatever play he thinks he should run.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm 

44LetzRide wrote:
Defensive line must win applying pressure up the middle. No bones about it.

Listen carefully man or zone coverage doesn't really matter. What matters is how well you play man or zone WITH DL pressure up the middle. It would also be great to play a bit of both. That could possibly confuse Brady, but the greater hope is confusing WR's.

Men who are not named Brown or Bell must make plays - Juju, MB, Eli Rogers,TE's - Give Hunter/DHB a few outs.

Bryant, when the ball comes your way, catch it or draw a DPI. Give Corrente and his crew some work.

Minimize penalties - JJ Wilcox/DeCastro/B. Allen - these guys seem to draw the most flags. DeCastro is good for one false start per game - shout out to Willie Colon.

Sean Davis - When you're on Gronk, you have to win some downs. Don't be afraid to go up and gt the football.

Steelers, don't turn the ball over. Don't deflate if things take a bad turn, you've come back from so many deficits this year. Your mettle has been tested and it's been proven true.

I see what you did there... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:11 pm 

As I said on the podcast, Mike Tomlin needs to convince Todd Haley that the game is being played at 8:30pm.

Haley vs Belichick and Matt Patricia is a historic-level mismatch, almost as bad as Brady/Belichick vs Dick Lebeau/Keith Butler/Tomlin on that side of the ball.

On the other hand, Ben working out of no-huddle, with less information being able to be coached to the players on the field–that's a huge advantage in our favor. You want to take away the run? Ben is going to kill you with an Antonio Brown mind meld or a Jesse James dump off for 9 yards. You want to sucker the Steelers into running it by playing back in coverage, Ben will patiently work it down the field with underneath throws. He's evolved to a point where, like Brady, Ben is very difficult to outscheme.